|Date Opened||9/11/2019 09:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||9/25/2019 5:00:00 PM|
|Job Type||Temporary Exempt|
Every City and County of San Francisco department has permanent employees who have gone through a Civil Service Exam Process to uphold our merit-based hiring system. Many of those exams are proctored by Testing Technicians. Our Human Resources Analysts rely on Testing Technicians to assist with running the selection procedures in a consistent and efficient manner.
What you'll be doing:
The 1227 Testing Technicians are responsible for technical, clerical and administrative duties in exam administration.
1. Administers written and performance tests in traditional or computerized testing environments, including but not limited to: preparing test materials and arranging facilities prior to exams, distributing test materials, providing instructions to administer tests, and answering general questions.
2. Maintains security of the test materials before the exam, prevents candidates from taking test materials, and gathers and accounts for all test materials after the exam. Directs proctors in securing test materials and environment. Checks and packages examination materials, and ensures that all materials are returned to designated areas.
3. Requests and inspects identification cards to ascertain that only authorized persons are admitted to tests; directs and seats candidates in proper places.
4. Monitors the examination area to ensure that candidates are following test instructions, provides necessary pencils/tools to enable them to complete tests, and prevent cheating by other candidates or by using references not allowed; instructs proctors in their assignments; maintains order in the exam room; and keeps track of the time.
5. Reports and document unusual incidents that occurred during the examination.
6. Performs scoring, prepares score sheets for scanning, and enters information into the computerized database.
7. Assists in the training, monitoring, and evaluation of proctors such as student workers and personnel staff.
8. Responds to inquiries from various individuals such as faculty, staff, students, candidates, and the general public.
9. Performs clerical functions to assist in preparing for, administering, and scoring examinations, preparing eligible lists and notifying candidates of exam processes and results.
Things to keep in mind:
This position may entail:
1. lifting of testing materials up to 40 pounds.
2. standing and/or walking around for up to 3 hours at a time.
3. being available nights and/or weekends.
We're looking for someone who:
- Has five stars in customer service - You may be one of the first representatives of the City and County of San Francisco that candidates meet. It is important that they can rely on you to provide a friendly and consistent experience during their examinations.
- Is an exceptional communicator - You will be providing instructions and directions, so it is important that you are giving candidates accurate and clear information.
- Notices the little things - Consistency, accuracy, and documentation are paramount in administering civil service examinations. Errors in exam administration can be burdensome.
- Is punctual - It isn't just about showing up, it's about showing up on time!
A few reasons you might love this job:
- This is a great opportunity for individuals who are not looking for full-time work and have flexibility in their schedules.
- You may work with several different departments and interact with a diverse array of candidates.
- There is variety in the work and types of exams that you will proctor.
One year of verifiable clerical experience; OR
One year of verifiable customer service experience; OR
30 semester units of coursework from an accredited college or university; OR
An equivalent combination of training, experience or education.
Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Knowledge of computers, scanners, projectors, digital recorders, MP3 players, etc.
Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with a large and diverse group of people.
Ability to speak in front of a large group of people (up to 250).
Proficiency in a language other than English.
The stated desirable qualifications may be used to identify job finalists from among the applicants.
Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at http://sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=456
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
How To Apply
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
- Select the desired job announcement
- Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
- Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”
- Follow instructions on the screen
- Computers are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Dept. of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following address (@sfgov.org).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact the exam analyst, Jen Lo by email at Jen.Lo@sfgov.org.
Applicants are required to complete a Supplemental Application as part of the application process. It is essential that an applicant provide complete information in identifying their experience and education. The purpose of the Supplemental Application is to obtain specific information regarding an applicant's experience and education and will be used to evaluate if an applicant meets the minimum qualifications.
Candidates may be interviewed to determine their relative knowledge, ability, and skill levels in job related areas. Written, assessment tying or other performance-based exercises may be utilized.
The department may utilize additional selection procedures to make a final hiring decision.
Note: Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed to advance through all of the steps in the selection process.
As a finalist for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a finalist. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
- Candidates applying for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates applying for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
If you are selected as a finalist, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
All City and County of San Francisco employees are designated Disaster Service Workers through state and local law (California Government Code Section 3100-3109). Employment with the City requires the affirmation of a loyalty oath to this effect. Employees are required to complete all Disaster Service Worker-related training as assigned, and to return to work as ordered in the event of an emergency.
General Information concerning City and County of San Francisco Employment Policies and Procedures:
Important Employment Information for the City and County of San Francisco can be obtained at http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20 or hard copy at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor.
Copies of Application Documents:
Applicants should keep copies of all documents submitted, as these will not be returned.
Right to Work:
All persons entering the City and County of San Francisco workforce are required to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States.
Applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum eligibility requirements for this job announcement can find information on requesting a reasonable ADA Accommodation at:
Issued: September 11, 2019
Human Resources Director
Department of Human Resources
Recruitment ID Number: TEX-1227-903781
DHR/ JL/ 415.551.8946
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|