9922 Environmental Associate
Residential Zero Waste Associate
|Date Opened||11/18/2019 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||12/16/2019 08:00:00 AM|
|Salary||$23.01 - $23.01/hour; $3,989.00 - $3,989.00/month; $47,866.00 - $47,866.00/year|
|Job Type||Permanent Exempt|
Residential Zero Waste Associate
San Francisco Department of Environment
9922 – Environmental Associate
**Note: Filing period has been extended to 12/16/19**
The San Francisco Department of the Environment (SF Environment) provides solutions that advance climate protection and enhance quality of life for all San Franciscans. SF Environment is recognized worldwide for its environmental policies and programs, which center on achieving zero waste, reducing environmental toxins, advancing environmental justice, promoting sustainable transportation modes, expanding clean energy infrastructure, greening our built environment, and protecting our urban forest. We’re a passionate, mission-driven team and a great place to work, offering an attractive benefits package that includes healthcare and retirement.
• Assist with implementation, monitoring and improvement of zero waste programs in the residential sector; specifically in regard to compliance with the Refuse Separation Compliance Ordinance
• Work with service providers, apartment property managers, tenants, nonprofits and community groups to increase residential waste prevention and material recovery
• Conduct on-site refuse assessments at apartments to assist property managers in implementing and increasing composting and recycling, and reducing landfill
• Assist with development and disseminate residential outreach, including maintaining web information, tracking action plan progress, and supporting Environment Now outreach
• Research, analyze, maintain spreadsheets, and respond to surveys and residential inquiries
• Support events in complying with applicable zero waste requirements, and assist with quarterly zero waste events workshops
• Provide administrative support and perform other tasks as required
This is a one-year position; a second year may be possible, contingent upon Department budget conditions and demonstrated competence and professionalism in the first year of employment. This position is categorized as Permanent Exempt and an appointment does not guarantee a second year of employment, nor any future employment with SF Environment or the City and County of San Francisco. The successful candidate will be an at-will employee; the position is excluded by the Charter from the competitive civil service examination process and shall serve at the discretion of the appointing officer.
1. Knowledge of environmental and zero waste principles and issues2. Excellent speaking, writing, interpersonal communication, researching, organizational and project management skills3. Responsible, motivated, and able to work independently and in a team4. Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite including Excel and PowerPoint, database management and internet proficiency5. Experience in public speaking, conducting trainings or presentations6. Strong project management and communication skills7. Familiarity with San Francisco8. Fluency in other languages used commonly in San Francisco (especially Chinese, Spanish or Russian)
The stated desirable qualifications may be used to identify job finalists at the end of the selection process when candidates are referred for hiring. Applicants must meet the minimum qualification requirement by the final filing date, unless otherwise noted.
Candidates are requested to submit a resume and transcript (unofficial is sufficient) and attach it to their application. Upload these documents as a PDF or Word file, under the “Other” tab in the application system.
How To Apply
1. Select the desired job announcement.
2. Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information.
3. Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”.
4. Follow instructions on the screen.
5. Attach two documents including your resume and unofficial college transcript (if applicable). Upload these documents as a PDF or Word file.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application was received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications. Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
Please email Preston Treichel, Senior Human Resources Consultant, at Preston.Treichel@sfgov.org should you have questions about the application process. For questions regarding the status of your application or the selection process, please refer to the ‘Timeline’ section under the Selection Procedures heading below.
Online application filing deadline will conclude at 8am on Monday, December 9th, 2019. Due to the volume of inquiries we receive, we are unable to give application status updates. While we are not able to reach out to every applicant, the hiring manager will contact you directly after the filing deadline if your skills and experiences are a strong match for the position.
• Candidates applying for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
• Candidates applying for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
If you are selected as a finalist, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
2. Verification: Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at http://sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=456. Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
3. Applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum eligibility requirements for this job announcement can find information on requesting a reasonable ADA Accommodation at web URL: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#applicantswithdisabilities
4. Applicants are advised to keep copies of all documents submitted. Submitted documents become a permanent part of the exam record and will not be returned. The hiring department may require applicants to present additional material at the time of appointment and/or at a later date.
5. For general information concerning City and County of San Francisco employment policies and procedures, please refer to this web URL: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20
6. For Right to Work policy, please refer to this web URL: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#identification
7. Terms of Announcement: Applicants must be guided solely by the provisions of this announcement, including requirements, time periods and other particulars, except when superseded by federal, state or local laws, rules or regulations. Clerical errors may be corrected by the posting the correction on the Department of Human Resources website at www.jobaps.com/sf.
ISSUED: NOVEMBER 18, 2019
MICKI CALLAHAN, HUMAN RESOURCES DIRECTOR
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
ANNOUNCEMENT NO: PEX-9922-101558
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|