9174 Manager IV, MTA (Merit and Examinations Manager)
|Department||Municipal Transportation Agency|
|Date Opened||7/2/2019 08:00:00 AM|
|Salary||$124,202.00 - $158,548.00/year|
|Job Type||Permanent Exempt|
The following information describes the civil service classification for which applications are being solicited.
Make sure you read the entire announcement before completing the application form.
The purpose of this announcement is to fill a vacant position in this classification.
AMENDED TO EXTEND THE FILING DEADLINE TO CONTINUOUS
INTERESTED APPLICANTS ARE ENCOURAGED TO FILE IMMEDIATELY AS THIS RECRUITMENT MAY STILL CLOSE AT ANYTIME.
Division: Human Resources
Section/Unit: Merit and Exam Unit
Work Location: One South Van Ness Avenue, 6th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
APPOINTMENT TYPE: Permanent Exempt, Full Time – This position is excluded by the Charter from the competitive Civil Service examination process and shall serve at the discretion of the Appointing Officer.
Under general administrative direction, the Merit and Examinations Manager will function as a mid-level manager with responsibility for managing the complex professional technical personnel work which includes, but is not limited to, personnel administration; program planning and directing; recruitment and examinations; position classification; and the development of policies and procedures to ensure the section meets SFMTA’s strategic goals.
EXAMPLES OF IMPORTANT AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
• Plans, evaluates and supervises the work of departmental professional and technical staff in the areas of recruitment, examinations and classification.
• Plans and organizes an aggressive program of recruitment designed to meet the goals of the Agency; directs the examination program for the Agency’s recruitment process.
• Directs and reviews position classification studies; participates in organization and classification studies.
• Coordinates with the HR Systems Administrator to develop and implement an expedited system for examination administration.
• Makes or recommends final decisions regarding policy, operations, and personnel administrative procedures.
• Leads meetings and resolves issues with employees, managers, union representatives, and personnel of other jurisdictions regarding recruitment, examinations, position allocations, salary and wage administration, data evaluation, contract provisions and other personnel matters.
• Coordinates and participates in studies pertaining to a wide variety of employment problems and subjects and makes recommendations to senior management.
• Advises and consults with other section/division directors, managers/supervisors.
• Monitors and evaluates the activities of staff; takes appropriate steps to improve performance, including coaching or training.
• Directs the preparation of monthly/annual report; representing and/or appearing before legislative bodies and committees to explain and interpret recruitment, selection, examination, classification, salary administration, human resources operations, and other matters related to the personnel program of the Agency.
• Develops and administers the budget for the section, forecasting budget needs for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
1. Possession of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university; AND
2. Five (5) years of professional human resources experience in the areas of recruitment and selection, test development and administration, classification and compensation, and/or human resources operations of which three (3) years must include experience supervising professional-level employees engaged in one or more of these same human resources areas.
1. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications by the final filing date unless otherwise noted.
2. One year full-time experience is equivalent to 2000 hours. (2000 hours of qualifying work experience is based on a 40-hour work week.). Any overtime hours that you work above forty (40) hours per week are not included in the calculation to determine full-time experience.
• Working knowledge of applicable local, state and federal laws and regulations which include San Francisco City Charter, Administrative codes, Civil Service Rules, Annual Salary Ordinance and Collective Bargaining Agreements affecting department operations.
• Excellent oral communication and written skills, including presentations to senior management and/or governing bodies.
• Demonstrated and successful experience formulating and implementing effective solutions to complex issues and problems.
• Outstanding analytical, strategic thinking to lead and implement data-driven human resources strategy, and translate it into achievable goals.
HOW TO APPLY:
San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency employment applications for this position will be accepted through an on-line process only. A resume and cover letter must be attached to the online application. Mailed, hand delivered or faxed applications will not be accepted. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to begin the application process.
• Click and select 9174 Manager IV, MTA (Merit and Examinations Manager) (PEX-9174-097966)
• Click on “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
• Click on “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or on “I have REGISTERED PREVIOUSLY”
• Follow instructions given on the screen.
To submit resume using the online application:
• Select the “Resume” tab in the online application
• Follow instructions given on screen.
To submit cover letter using the online application:
• Select the “Other” tab in the online application
• Choose “Upload” as your method of submittal
• Click on “Upload Attachment”
• Follow instructions given on screen.
If you are having trouble attaching your resume and cover letter to the online application, you may submit by email to Kitty Wong, Analyst, at Kitty.Wong@sfmta.com, subject: 9174 Manager IV, MTA (Merit and Examinations Manager) (PEX-9174-097966). Résumé will not be accepted in lieu of completing the online application.
Computer kiosks are available for the public from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday to file online applications in the lobby of the Department of Human Resources, 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco and in the lobby of SFMTA Human Resources office, 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 6th Floor, San Francisco.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses: (@sfgov.org, @sfmta.com).
Upon successful submittal of the application online, the applicant will receive a notification on the screen, as well as in the applicant’s e-mail inbox, acknowledging the receipt of the application. If you are having difficulty submitting your application online, please contact us at 415.701.5026 between 8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday or by e-mail at Kitty.Wong@sfmta.com.
Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying experience and education at any point in the application and/or departmental selection process. Written verification (proof) of qualifying experience must verify that the applicant meets the minimum qualifications stated on the examination announcement. Written verification must be submitted on employer’s official letterhead, specifying dates of employment, types of employment (part-time/full-time), job title(s), description of duties performed, and the verification must be signed by the employer. City employees will receive credit for the duties of the class to which they are appointed. Credit for experience obtained outside of the employee’s class will be allowed only if recorded in accordance with the provisions of the Civil Service Commission Rules. Experience claimed in self-employment must be supported by documents verifying income, earnings, business license and experience comparable to the minimum qualifications of the position. Copies of income tax papers or other documents listing occupations and total earnings must be submitted. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at http://sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=456.
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
Applications will be screened for relevant qualifying experience. Additional screening mechanisms may be implemented in order to determine candidates’ qualifications. Only those applicants who most closely meet the needs of the Agency will be invited to participate in the selection process. Applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement to the interview.
Qualified applicants with disabilities requiring reasonable accommodation in the selection process must contact the Agency by phone at 415.701.5026 or, if hearing impaired at 415.701.5043 (TTY) or in writing to the SFMTA Human Resources Operations Section, 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 6th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103 (specify Class 9174 – Merit and Examinations Manager).
Applicants are responsible for updating their email address or mailing address. Contact Information must be updated online at http://www.jobaps.com/sf by clicking on “Update My Contact Info” and logging into your account. If updating contact information online, applicants must contact the analyst at 415.701.5026 immediately to inform them of the change. Failure to do so may result in the loss of eligibility.
Make sure your application and any attachments to the application submitted at the time of filing are complete and accurate and include details on all experience, education, training and other information that qualifies you for this recruitment. Failure to submit a complete and accurate application at the time of filing may result in your ineligibility for this recruitment or inability to receive full credit for scoring purposes. Any new information concerning work experience, education, training and other information that is submitted after the filing deadline may not be used for scoring or considered to determine whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
General Information concerning City and County of San Francisco Employment Policies and Procedures:
Important Employment Information for the City and County of San Francisco can be obtained at http://sfdhr.org/information-about-hiring-process or hard copy at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor.
Copies of Application Documents:
Applicants should keep copies of all documents submitted, as these will not be returned.
Right to Work:
All persons entering the City and County of San Francisco workforce are required to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States.
Applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum eligibility requirements for this job announcement can find information on requesting a reasonable ADA Accommodation at:
Employee Wellness Program
The SFMTA strives to be your employer of choice by providing an environment that supports your personal health & wellbeing with physical, nutritional, mental/emotional and financial resources.
Since 2010 the SFMTA has been providing worksite wellness activities, as well as providing recognition opportunities to those individuals who successfully achieve personal milestones in wellness. For more details on the Wellness Program, please visit Employee Wellness Program Description page.
MINORITIES, WOMEN AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
As a selected candidate for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a selected candidate. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
- Candidates for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
If you are a selected candidate, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|