5642 Senior Environmental Specialist
Senior Marketing & Communications Strategist
|Date Opened||8/14/2019 11:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||9/3/2019 08:00:00 AM|
|Salary||$46.93 - $57.04/hour; $8,134.00 - $9,887.00/month; $97,604.00 - $118,638.00/year|
|Job Type||Permanent Exempt|
Senior Marketing & Communications Strategist
San Francisco Department of Environment
5642 – Senior Environmental Specialist
The San Francisco Department of the Environment (SF Environment) provides solutions that advance climate protection and enhance quality of life for all San Franciscans. SF Environment is recognized worldwide for its environmental policies and programs, which center on achieving zero waste, reducing environmental toxins, advancing environmental justice, promoting sustainable transportation modes, expanding clean energy infrastructure, greening our built environment, and protecting our urban forest. We’re a passionate, mission-driven team and a great place to work, offering an attractive benefits package that includes healthcare and retirement.
Serving in a supervisor-level position (Class 5642), you’ll work under the guidance of the Class 5644 Program Manager (Communications & Community Engagement) and have day-to-day decision-making responsibilities for projects, as well as the ability to negotiate within project scopes.
Project Design & Management:
• Design, implement and evaluate creative, high-impact marketing campaigns, behavior-change initiatives and communications targeted to San Francisco residents and businesses — both internally managed and in collaboration with external vendors and partners
• Project manage multi-stakeholder community engagement activities such as workshops and community meetings, facilitating as appropriate
• Coordinate with interagency partners, San Francisco residents, businesses, community organizations, and City colleagues in the planning and execution of projects and initiatives
• Develop campaign and project reports and present findings to relevant stakeholders, as assigned
• Provide visionary leadership of the Department’s digital communications channels and strategy, guiding the evolution of strategies and platforms
• Oversee brand identity and collateral development, ensuring clarity, consistency and adherence to brand standards across all departmental communications
• Manage a multidisciplinary team responsible for designing and delivering communications via multimedia platforms, including social media networks, email, websites, print media, and direct mail
• Manage budgets and grants falling under assigned project and program scopes
• Manage marketing and specialty vendors supporting assigned projects and initiatives, as applicable
• Represent the Department at City functions and community/ stakeholder convenings, as directed
• Perform other duties related to those described above, as required
Supervises staff and contractors, including Class 5640 (Environmental Specialist) and 5638 (Environmental Assistant) direct reports.
This position is a Permanent-Exempt Appointment with an anticipated duration of 18 months, with the possibility of future permanent employment (a recruitment to fill this position permanently is expected to take place, which will be conducted under the competitive civil service examination process). The position is excluded by the Charter from the competitive civil service examination process and shall serve at the discretion of the appointing officer.
• Familiarity with San Francisco neighborhoods and supervisorial districts
• Fluency in Chinese, Spanish or another language commonly spoken in San Francisco
• Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite software
• Integrated marketing and communications project management
• Community-based social marketing
• Culturally-competent marketing and community engagement principles and approaches
• Quantitative and qualitative data analysis and reporting
• Environmental topic areas including, but not limited to, toxics reduction, zero waste, climate change, clean energy, and transportation demand management
• CMS and analytics tools such as Constant Contact, Mailchimp, Meltwater, and Google Analytics
• Web content management systems such as Drupal
• All key social media platforms and associated best practices
• Style guide(s) such as APA, Chicago, and Oxford
• Microsoft Office and related common software applications
• Stakeholder engagement and meeting facilitation
• Manage complex projects and programs
• Supervise, motivate and develop staff
• Work with and manage external vendors
• Skillfully edit and write to persuade (e.g. copywriting) and inform (e.g. reports, official documents)
• Evaluate and implement emerging communications platforms
• Design, plan, and work within budgets
• Communicate and present effectively, both orally and in writing
• Collaborate with community and City partners and Department staff to deliver quality programming
The stated desirable qualifications may be used to identify job finalists at the end of the selection process when candidates are referred for hiring. Applicants must meet the minimum qualification requirement by the final filing date, unless otherwise noted.
Candidates are requested to submit a resume, cover letter, & transcript and attach it to their application. Upload these documents as a PDF or Word file, under the “Other” tab in the application system.
How To Apply
1. Select the desired job announcement.
2. Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information.
3. Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”.
4. Follow instructions on the screen.
5. Attach three documents that include your resume, cover letter, and unofficial college transcript. Upload these documents as a PDF or Word file.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application was received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications. Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
Please email Preston Treichel, Senior Human Resources Consultant, at Preston.Treichel@sfgov.org should you have questions about the application process. For questions regarding the status of your application or the selection process, please refer to the ‘Timeline’ section under the Selection Procedures heading.
Online application filing deadline will conclude at 8am on Tuesday, September 3rd, 2019. Due to the volume of inquiries we receive, we are unable to give application status updates. While we are not able to reach out to every applicant, the hiring manager will contact you directly after the filing deadline if your skills and experiences are a strong match for the position.
• Candidates applying for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
• Candidates applying for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
If you are selected as a finalist, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
2. Verification: Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at http://sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=456. Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
3. Applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum eligibility requirements for this job announcement can find information on requesting a reasonable ADA Accommodation at web URL: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#applicantswithdisabilities
4. Applicants are advised to keep copies of all documents submitted. Submitted documents become a permanent part of the exam record and will not be returned. The hiring department may require applicants to present additional material at the time of appointment and/or at a later date.
5. For general information concerning City and County of San Francisco employment policies and procedures, please refer to this web URL: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20
6. For Right to Work policy, please refer to this web URL: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#identification
7. Terms of Announcement: Applicants must be guided solely by the provisions of this announcement, including requirements, time periods and other particulars, except when superseded by federal, state or local laws, rules or regulations. Clerical errors may be corrected by the posting the correction on the Department of Human Resources website at www.jobaps.com/sf.
ISSUED: AUGUST 14, 2019
MICKI CALLAHAN, HUMAN RESOURCES DIRECTOR
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
ANNOUNCEMENT NO: PEX-5642-903626
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|