1070 Network Manager
|Specialty||SFUSD Department of Technology|
|Department||San Francisco Unified School District|
|Date Opened||7/29/2019 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||8/28/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$120,095 - $163,453|
|Job Type||Permanent Exempt|
1070 Network Manager
Department of Technology
Who We Are
The San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD) is the seventh largest school district in California, every year serving more than 55,000 students who speak more than 44 documented languages in our 131 schools across the city of San Francisco. We aim to provide each student with an equal opportunity to succeed by promoting intellectual growth, creativity, self-discipline, cultural and linguistic sensitivity, democratic responsibility, economic competence, and physical and mental health so that each student can achieve his or her maximum potential. Every day in our quest to achieve this mission we place access and equity, student achievement, and accountability at the forefront of every child’s education.
What It Means to Work Here
When you join our team at SFUSD you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused organization that approaches public education as a social justice movement that requires broad collaboration across an array of strategic partners. As a CORE district, SFUSD is also a leader in critical systems change for more comprehensive school accountability and innovations that help strengthen the instructional core, which is the foundation of our strategic plan, Impact Learning. Impact Lives.
Who We Want
We want talented people from diverse backgrounds and experiences, who are inspired by our mission steeped in equity, and who are motivated to unleash our children’s potential. We want people who are strong collaborators, skilled communicators, problem solvers and who are comfortable in a community of continuous learning.
Under general direction, the Network Manager serves the role of team lead for the IT network Infrastructure projects focusing on operational excellence, information security, service excellence, strategy, and innovation.
Examples of Essential Duties:
- Leads SFUSD network infrastructure staff and operations, including but not limited to, staff performance planning & evaluations, resource allocation, project scheduling, and task completion.
- Designs, reviews, and implements technical assessments.
- Engineers and designs solutions for complex technology infrastructure challenges through detailed analysis.
- Establishes hardware and software standards; participates in technical committees.
- Monitors, coordinates, and assists in developing the work unit's budget.
- Analyzes and recommends procedures consistent with departmental directives, policies, and regulations.
- Develops strategic plans to meet technology infrastructure needs; conducts capacity planning studies to project hardware and software needs.
- Directs and monitors technical support activities related to complex large networks; troubleshoots and supports the network in order to maintain the network's integrity and reliability; and contacts software and hardware vendors when necessary.
- Plans, develops, and implements backup and disaster recovery procedures for large networks.
- Performs as project lead in major projects; monitors, coordinates and reviews project tasks and resources, providing technical assistance and guidance.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Education: An associate degree in computer science or a closely related field from an accredited college or university OR its equivalent in terms of total course credits/units [i.e., at least sixty (60) semester or ninety (90) quarter credits/units with a minimum of twenty (20) semester or thirty (30) quarter credits/units in computer science or a closely-related field].
- Experience: Seven (7) years of experience in system administration, information systems development, maintenance and support, or information technology project management, including two (2) years of supervisory experience
Please note: Meeting the Minimum Qualifications does not guarantee applicants an interview or further advancement in the selection process.
- Expert knowledge of BGP, OSPF, EIGRP and multi-source internet access.
- Experience with data center technologies, Cisco Nexus, UCS, Juniper SRX, BigIP, core routing, and switching.
- Certification in one or more of the following areas: Cisco CCIE, Cisco CCNP.
- Experience with campus routing and switching technology: Cisco ISR 4400, C2960, C3650, C3750.
- Experience with large scale, multi-campus, dense wireless management, and improvement, Ruckus Wireless experience a plus.
- Ability to improve network maintenance and monitoring tools to expedite our response time, Nagios, ZenDesk, etc.
- Provide 24x7 support and diagnostics for large scale network events.
- In-depth knowledge of VoIP technologies and best practices.
- Experience working in K-12 Public Education and familiar with related regulatory environment, C.I.P.A, E-Rate, etc.
- Automate network administration tasks through creation and maintenance scripts and tools.
- Focus on security technologies, content filtering, adaptive access, threat detection & response.
- Substantial background in troubleshooting and root cause analysis.
- Ability to stay abreast of current technology (access control, routing, content filtering, wireless, IPS/IDS, security, etc.)
- Ability to work collaboratively and use technical skills and experience to determine the best, most progressive and cost-effective strategic direction for the SFUSD IT network Infrastructure.
- Ability to initiate, drive, and/or support innovation and change.
- Ability to design new, refresh old network related technology solutions to improve IT service delivery.
- Ability to provide outstanding customer service to our external and internal customers.
- Ability to lead and manage staff with their success as the primary goal.
- Ability to support the positive, professional, collaborative and goal-oriented environment which includes working to improve morale.
- Strong project management, time management and organizational skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
*The stated desirable qualifications may be used to identify job finalists at the end of the selection process when candidates are referred for hiring.
What We offer
SFUSD offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience. We offer a comprehensive benefits plan including dental and vision plans, a defined benefit pension plan, disability, life insurance, flexible spending account options and vacation time. We also offer an inclusive and equity-centered environment where we encourage staff to bring their whole selves to work.
How To Apply
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
- Select the desired job announcement
- Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
- Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”
- Follow instructions on the screen
NOTE: You must attach an updated resume and cover letter. However, resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application.
Make sure that your application and any attachments to the application submitted at the time of filing are complete and accurate and include details on all experience, education, training and other information that qualifies you for this position. Failure to submit a complete and accurate application at the time of filing may result in your ineligibility for this position or inability to receive full credit for scoring purposes. Any new information concerning work experience, education, training and other information that is submitted after the filing deadline may not be used for scoring or considered to determine whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
The San Francisco Unified School District is committed to maintaining an educational environment where all persons who participate in school programs and activities can work and learn together in an atmosphere free of all forms of harassment or intimidation. The Board prohibits sexual harassment of students, employees or other persons, at school or at school-sponsored or school-related activities. San Francisco Unified School District programs, activities, and practices shall be free from unlawful discrimination, harassment, intimidation, and bullying based on actual or perceived race, color, ancestry, national origin, ethnic group identification, age, religion, marital or parental status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or gender expression; or on the basis of a person’s association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.
Women, and Persons with Disabilities are Encouraged to Apply
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|