1052 Business Analyst, Student Information Systems
|Department||San Francisco Unified School District|
|Date Opened||1/24/2019 5:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||2/20/2019 09:00:00 AM|
|Job Type||Permanent Exempt|
1052 Enrollment Business Analyst, Student Information Systems
Department of Technology
Who We Are
The San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD) is the seventh largest school district in California, serving more than 57,000 students who speak more than 44 documented languages across 132 schools in the city of San Francisco every year. We aim for every student who attends SFUSD schools to discover his or her spark, along with a strong sense of self and purpose, and that all students graduate from high school ready for college and career, and equipped with the skills, capacities and dispositions outlined in SFUSD’s Graduate Profile. Every day in our quest to achieve this mission we provide each and every student the quality instruction and equitable support required to thrive in the 21st century.
What It Means to Work Here
The SFUSD community is unified by our Core Values:
● Student-centered: We put students’ needs first
● Fearless: We persist through challenges
● United: We celebrate and build on each other’s strengths
● Social Justice: We stand with those most vulnerable in our community
● Diversity-driven: We respect and seek to understand each person
We are also inspired by Vision 2025, which captures our aspirations and vision for the future of public education in San Francisco. Alongside the District’s strategic plan, Transform Learning. Transform Lives. SFUSD is reimagining how public education will change over the next decade to meet the dynamic future of San Francisco. As a CORE district, SFUSD is also a leader in critical systems change for more comprehensive school accountability and innovations that help strengthen the instructional core, which is the foundation of our strategic plan and Vision 2025.
Who We Want
We want talented people from diverse backgrounds and experiences, who are inspired by our mission steeped in equity, and who are motivated to unleash our children’s potential. We want people who are strong collaborators, skilled communicators, problem solvers and who are comfortable in a community of continuous learning.
As the 1052 SIS Enrollment Business Analyst, you will report to the Student Systems Product Director, be a part of the Department of Technology on the Student Systems team, and be a technical owner in the SFUSD student assignment and enrollment process. You will help to lead Department of Technology transformational work to deliver on the promises outlined in both Transform Learning. Transform Lives. as well as our long-term, city-wide North Star, Vision 2025. We want someone who will build close relationships with our partners in the Educational Placement Center and lead exciting technical work that helps provide students with equitable access to schools via our Student Placement and Enrollment Process. You will specifically be responsible for executing the technical work for enrollment within Synergy, SFUSD's student information system.
As the 1052 SIS Enrollment Business Analyst, you will:
● Manage and support the technical aspects of the student assignment system process
● Conduct system analysis and user requirements for enrollment enhancements for our users
● Liaise with the Educational Placement Center (EPC) for new functionality, provide ongoing support
● Collaborate with the Educational Placement Center (EPC) to ensure the enrollment process is timely and successful
● Help execute on a shared vision of a modern, robust, integrated, easy-to-use system providing clean, valuable, actionable data
● Work with users to determine system needs and requirements; support users on newly implemented functionality
● Design and code programs; review impact of system modifications on existing systems
● Develop reports for users to analyze student needs
● Identify opportunities for improvement or automation of current business practices and policies
● Handle tickets in Zendesk, providing technical assistance and analysis for end users, managers, and power users
● Draft and maintain system and application documentation
Use data to improve processes and operations to continuously improve upon existing practices
The strongest candidates will have:
● A team focus with a coachable and approachable workstyle
● Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills
● The ability to read and write SQL
● The ability to build strong working relationships and support a positive work environment
● Functional skills with:
o Data report building
o Database queries
o Cloud-based systems
o Data validation/rules
● An organized, efficient, on-time, cost-conscious perspective that seeks to continuously improve
● Knowledge of San Francisco’s public schools/urban public schools and a passionate belief in SFUSD’s commitment to instructional leadership as a lever toward delivering on the SFUSD Graduate Profile
An associate degree in computer science or a closely related field from an accredited college or university OR its equivalent in terms of total course credits/units [i.e., at least sixty (60) semester or ninety (90) quarter credits/units with a minimum of twenty (20) semester or thirty (30) quarter credits/units in computer science or a closely-related field].
One (1) year in the technology or information systems field, including system analysis, business process design, development and implementation of business application solutions or IT project management.
Additional experience as described above may be substituted for the required degree on a year-for-year basis (up to a maximum of two (2) years). One (1) year is equivalent to thirty (30) semester units / forty-five (45) quarter units with a minimum of 10 semester / 15 quarter units in computer science or a closely related field.
Please note that only paid work experience is acceptable, and that part time experience will converted into equivalent full time experience. You must meet the experience requirement with relevant, paid, full time work (or its equivalent in a longer period of part time work).
Experience can be substituted for education, but education cannot be substituted for experience.
What We Offer
SFUSD offers a competitive salary of $81,832-$99,514 annually, commensurate with experience in a similar position. We offer a comprehensive benefits plan including dental and vision plans, a defined benefit pension plan, disability, life insurance, flexible spending account options and vacation time. We also offer an inclusive and equity-centered environment where we encourage staff to bring their whole selves to work.
How to Apply
● Our Human Resources team will then review your entire application to determine your eligibility status and contact you directly should you move forward in the process.
Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at http://sfdhr.org/how-verify-education-requirements.
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification from this and future job opportunities with the San Francisco Unified School District.
San Francisco Unified School District programs, activities, and practices shall be free from unlawful discrimination, harassment, intimidation, and bullying based on actual or perceived race, color, ancestry, national origin, ethnic group identification, age, religion, marital or parental status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or gender expression; or on the basis of a person’s association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics. This policy extends to San Francisco County Office of Education, including community school programs and activities.