1052 IS Business Analyst
|Specialty||Project Coordinator, Customer Information System|
|Department||Municipal Transportation Agency|
|Date Opened||9/10/2019 4:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||9/24/2019 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$89,206.00 - $112,190.00/year|
|Job Type||Permanent Exempt|
The following information describes the civil service classification for which applications are being solicited.
Make sure you read the entire announcement before completing the application form.
The purpose of this announcement is to fill a vacant position in this classification.
Division: Finance & Information Technology
Work Location: 1 South Van Ness, 3rd Floor, San Francisco, CA
Work Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm
Appointment Type: Permanent Exempt-Full Time appointment not to exceed three (3) years– This position is excluded by the Charter from the competitive Civil Service examination process and shall serve at the discretion of the Appointing Officer.
Technology is at the core of the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency’s (SFMTA’s) mission and future. Bring your networking technical skills, willingness to work hard and to learn, and a desire to join the SFMTA Technology Services team. We are developing new tools, rethinking systems, and modernizing transportation. This is an opportunity to work with stakeholders and business units across the SFMTA and take a pivotal step in your career. Your work will impact the lives of all San Francisco residents and many more visitors and commuters who use our transportation services and infrastructure.
Under the direction of the Transit Projects Manager, the IS Business Analyst will have a pivotal role in implementing the SFMTA’s Next Generation Customer Information System. The current first-generation system, which revolutionized the transit industry over 15 years ago by providing customers with real-time vehicle arrival times, will be phased out beginning in 2019. The new system will provide advanced real-time vehicle location, arrival prediction, and trip planning information so that customers can use transit to reach their destinations quickly and efficiently.
As the current system nears the end of its useful life, the SFMTA is creating a new system that leverages technological innovations to make Muni more competitive in today’s transportation landscape. Project goals include improving prediction accuracy, keeping customers continually informed, retaining people who might otherwise use less sustainable transportation modes, and using data analytics to improve service and operational planning. Based on research conducted by the project team to date, many improvements will be groundbreaking for the transit industry in the United States.
The IS Business Analyst will work with other team members to advance the project through its procurement, planning and implementation phases. Working on a complex, multi-year project, the analyst will help plan specific project elements, monitor vendor performance and implement assigned project deliverables. The analyst shall exercise sound technical judgment, partner with others with different backgrounds and subject matter expertise and communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
EXAMPLES OF IMPORTANT AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
• Supports the procurement process through contract review, negotiations and contract enforcement.
• Refines system requirements.
• Contributes to design reviews with the selected vendor and its sub-consultants
• Coordinates with internal and external stakeholders (e.g., other business units, Transbay Joint Powers Authority staff, Central Subway, vendors and their sub-consultants, etc.).
• Identifies business process improvement opportunities.
• Tests prototypes with the public and internal users.
• Tracks budgets and funding.
• Implements assigned project deliverables (e.g., signage installation).
• Monitors vendor performance.
• Prepares for and participates in project-related public meetings and/or presentations.
• Prepares content for signage
• Analyzes public feedback, including statistical analysis of survey data.
• Documents policies and procedures.
• Performs related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
1. An associate degree in computer science or a closely related field from an accredited college or university OR its equivalent in terms of total course credits/units [i.e., at least sixty (60) semester or ninety (90) quarter credits/units with a minimum of twenty (20) semester or thirty (30) quarter credits/units in computer science or a closely-related field]; AND
2. One (1) year in the information systems field, including technical support, content management, administration of network applications or system analysis.
Additional experience as described above may be substituted for the required degree on a year-for-year basis (up to a maximum of two (2) years). One (1) year is equivalent to thirty (30) semester units / forty-five (45) quarter units with a minimum of 10 semester / 15 quarter units in computer science or a closely related field.
Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications by the final filing date unless otherwise noted.
One-year full-time experience is equivalent to 2000 hours. (2000 hours of qualifying work experience is based on a 40-hour work week.). Any overtime hours that you work above forty (40) hours per week are not included in the calculation to determine full-time experience.
• Demonstrated contributions to a real-time transit information project or a similarly complex technology-related and/or transportation-related project.
• Experience defining project requirements.
• Experience writing a Request for Proposals (RFP) or otherwise contributing to advancing the procurement process for a complex project.
• Ability to conduct statistical analysis to interpret and visualize data, including the use of statistical packages such as SPSS and Tableau.
• Ability to write technical papers and/or document technical findings.
• Experience representing an organization’s interests at external meetings.
• Familiarity with standard practices and policies related to Transit Operations and Customer Communications.
• Experience working on multi-disciplinary internal and external teams with stakeholders possessing diverse skill sets.
• Ability to collaboratively-solving problems and navigate differences of opinion.
• Experience partnering with other transportation agencies and/or transportation-related organizations to seek mutual approaches to common issues.
• Familiarity using public transportation on a regular basis to understand ridership issues from a customer’s perspective.
HOW TO APPLY:
City and County of San Francisco employment applications for this position will be accepted through an on-line process only. A resume and cover letter must be attached to the online application. Mailed, hand delivered, or faxed applications will not be accepted. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to begin the application process.
• Click and select 1052 IS Business Analyst (Project Coordinator, Customer Information System) (PEX-1052-088402)
• Click on “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
• Click on “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or on “I have REGISTERED PREVIOUSLY”
• Follow instructions given on the screen.
To submit resume using the online application:
• Select the “Resume” tab in the online application
• Follow instructions given on the screen
To submit cover letter using the online application:
• Select the “Other” tab in the online application
• Choose “Upload” as your method of submittal
• Click on “Upload Attachment”
• Follow instructions given on the screen
If you are having trouble attaching your resume and cover letter to the online application, you may submit by fax to (415) 581-5120, ATTN: 1052 IS Business Analyst (Project Coordinator, Customer Information System) (PEX-1052-088402). Résumé will not be accepted in lieu of completing the online application.
Computer kiosks are available for the public from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday to file online applications in the lobby of the Department of Human Resources, 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco and in the lobby of SFMTA Human Resources office, 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 6th Floor, San Francisco.
Applicants may be contacted by e-mail. It is their responsibility to ensure that their registered e-mail address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses: (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org).
Upon successful submittal of the application online, the applicant will receive a notification on the screen, as well as in the applicant’s e-mail inbox, acknowledging the receipt of the application by the SFMTA – Operations Section. If you are having difficulty submitting your application online, please contact us at (415) 646-2744 between 8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday or by e-mail at Lisamarie.Gibson@sfmta.com.
Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point in the application and/or departmental selection process. Written verification (proof) of qualifying experience must verify that the applicant meets the minimum qualifications stated on the examination announcement. Written verification must be submitted on employer’s official letterhead, specifying dates of employment, types of employment (part-time/full-time), job title(s), description of duties performed, and the verification must be signed by the employer. City employees will receive credit for the duties of the class to which they are appointed. Credit for experience obtained outside of the employee’s class will be allowed only if recorded in accordance with the provisions of the Civil Service Commission Rules. Experience claimed in self-employment must be supported by documents verifying income, earnings, business license and experience comparable to the minimum qualifications of the position. Copies of income tax papers or other documents listing occupations and total earnings must be submitted. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at http://sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=456.
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
Applications will be screened for relevant qualifying experience. Additional screening mechanisms may be implemented in order to determine candidates’ qualifications. Only those applicants who most closely meet the needs of the Agency will be invited to participate in the selection process. Applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement to the interview.
Qualified applicants with disabilities requiring reasonable accommodation in the selection process must contact the SFMTA by phone at (415) 646-2744 or, if hearing impaired at (415) 701-5043 (TTY) or in writing to the SFMTA Human Resources, HR Operations Section, 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 6th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103 (specify Class 1052).
Make sure your application and any attachments to the application submitted at the time of filing are complete and accurate and include details on all experience, education, training and other information that qualifies you for this recruitment. Failure to submit a complete and accurate application at the time of filing may result in your ineligibility for this recruitment or inability to receive full credit for scoring purposes. Any new information concerning work experience, education, training and other information that is submitted after the filing deadline may not be used for scoring or considered to determine whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Employee Wellness Program:
The SFMTA strives to be your employer of choice by providing an environment that supports your personal health & wellbeing with physical, nutritional, mental/emotional and financial resources.
Since 2010 the SFMTA has been providing worksite wellness activities, as well as providing recognition opportunities to those individuals who success-fully achieve personal milestones in wellness.
For more details on the Wellness Program, please visit Employee Wellness Program Description page.
Women, Minorities, and Persons with Disabilities are encouraged to apply
An Equal Opportunity Employer
As a selected candidate for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a selected candidate. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
- Candidates for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
If you are a selected candidate, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|