0941 Deputy Assistant General Manager, External Affairs
|Department||Public Utilities Commission|
|Date Opened||11/9/2020 5:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||12/7/2020 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$74.98 - $95.69/hour; $12,996.00 - $16,586.00/month; $155,948.00 - $199,030.00/year|
|Job Type||Permanent PBT|
- Sets Vision and Direction: Envisions what the future looks like at a defined point, communicates this vision with authentic conviction, and inspires and engages others in creating that future.
- Relationship Management: Builds open, honest, and respectful relationships through effective communication and collaboration techniques; develops networks and lasting partnerships across boundaries to maintain strategic relationships and achieve common goals; utilizes a variety of communication approaches to successfully gain support, influence others, and strengthen relationships.
- Political Savvy: Recognizes the relationships, histories, and networks among other employees and agencies and uses this awareness to successfully navigate the organization, build consensus, and accomplish goals; understands internal and external political climate and acts accordingly; considers the reputation of the organization and of themselves.
- Strategic Planning: Formulates objectives and priorities, implements plans, and allocates resources to achieve the long-term goals of the organization.
- Change Management: Ensures that planned changes are thoroughly, smoothly, and effectively implemented and that the lasting benefits of change are achieved; understands the necessity of communicating change intentions and engaging those affected by the change.
- Conflict Management and Resolution: Preserves productive and professional relationships by identifying conflict, addressing issues, and arriving at best possible outcomes.
- Valuing Diversity and Talent Management: Recognizes the role of diversity in assembling capable teams and building a successful workforce; fosters an inclusive and cooperative work environment where diversity and individual differences are valued and capitalized upon to achieve the vision and mission of the organization.
- Accountability: Acts with integrity, honesty, and fairness; inspires trust; clearly defines roles and responsibilities for self and others; holds others to their roles and responsibilities; complies with legal and ethical guidelines; acts as a responsible steward of the resources entrusted to the SFPUC.
- Risk Management: Understands personal responsibility for managing risks and takes precaution in avoiding preventable risks; identifies, assesses, and mitigates risks seen as impacting the organization's achievement of strategic goals and objectives; ensures self and others are following procedures that prevent avoidable risks to health and safety.
- Decision Making and Problem Solving: Takes ownership of problems and makes responsible, transparent, and clear decisions; involves others in addressing problems and seeking solutions; gathers relevant information and conducts appropriate analyses; understands the impact of decisions.
- Adaptability: Adjusts, perseveres, and succeeds in meeting objectives despite rapidly shifting environment, demands, and resources; reacts appropriately to changing conditions or priorities; alters approaches to most effectively address different situations and people; responds positively to tasks and situations outside of comfort zone
- Provides strategic leadership and support, including information and deliverables on projects, and obtains direction from the AGM; and provides updates on progress and status.
- Attends various executive meetings on behalf of the AGM. Ensures that clear action items have been identified and monitors follow-up actions.
- Meets with AGM weekly to plan the week ahead and provide information and deliverables.
- Provides staffing for AGM’s high-priority projects and initiatives and provides guidance to the AGM and Management Team on variety of issues.
- Collaborates with and acts as a confidential sounding board to the AGM in developing strategies and systems to improve the quality, efficiency, and responsiveness of a broad range of services and operations.
- Facilitates Management Team events and all-staff meetings, such as the annual retreat.
- Facilitates effective communication between AGM and Management Team, External Affairs staff, and other key stakeholders.
- Coordinates regular weekly, quarterly, and annual meetings for the AGM and External Affairs Management Team.
- Composes complex confidential reports and prepares correspondence.
- Ensure quality assurance and quality control across all External Affairs Divisions.
- Facilitates cross-Bureau collaboration, organizational development, and team culture.
- Oversees Agency’s Strategic Plan and Sustainability Plan.
- Oversees External Affairs budget.
- Improves and Streamlines External Affairs administrative processes.
- Oversees organizational change management efforts for External Affairs.
- Responsible for program management and strategic initiatives as assigned by AGM.
- Leads, manages, and coordinates special projects and initiatives on behalf of the AGM and Management team, frequently involving other executive officers and/or outside agencies.
- Communicates regularly and maintain positive working relationships with all City departments, public officials, other governmental agencies, and the public.
- Directs the work of subordinate staff, including establishment of goals, objectives and priorities, preparation of work plans, review of work products, and creation and implementation of training and development opportunities, as well as performance management activities.
- Manage consultants and contracts to develop and implement strategies for various initiatives.
- Possession of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited university or college preferably in Public Administration, Public Policy, Urban Studies, Urban/City Planning, Law, Environmental Studies, or closely related field; AND
- Five (5) years of verifiable managerial and administrative experience in program planning, program management, and implementation. This experience must include planning, assigning, directing and reviewing work processes, all of which must include supervisory experience.
- Additional qualifying work experience may be substituted for the required education on a year for year basis (30 semester / 45 quarter units equal one year) for up to two (2) years.
- Advanced degrees such as Master's in Public Administration, Public Policy, Urban Studies, Urban/City Planning, Law, Environmental Studies, or related field may substitute for one (1) year of the required work experience.
How To Apply
- Select the desired job announcement
- Select "Apply" and read and acknowledge the information
- Select either "I am a New User" if you have not previously registered, or "I have Registered Previously"
- Follow instructions on the screen
- Candidates for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Disaster Service Workers
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|