7470 Watershed Keeper
Natural Resources and Lands Management
|Department||Public Utilities Commission|
|Date Opened||1/26/2021 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||2/2/2021 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$33.46 - $40.66/hour; $5,800.00 - $7,048.00/month; $69,602.00 - $84,578.00/year|
|Job Type||CBT Discrete|
1. Patrols, and inspects watershed and reservoir areas, dams, facilities, pipelines, and right-of-ways on foot, by vehicle or boat; removes all debris; monitors and documents trespassing, and vandalism in accordance to state, county or local laws, and issues warnings to swimmers, hunters, fishermen, garbage dumpers and other trespassers; maintains watershed, reservoir, and landscaped areas to ensure a high quality water yield for public consumption.
2. Reads and maintains data on indicating meters, and recording instruments and charts to determine water levels, water releases, water flow, temperature, and precipitation measurements; keeps records of unusual incidents, conditions, improvement projects and work performed.
3. Patrols lakes and reservoirs by launch to inspect water conditions and takes samples; assists personnel from local, county, state and federal agencies who request assistance in duties such as search and rescue operations for lost hikers, locates, reports and assists in fighting forest fires, and responds to emergency situations.
4. Operates various machinery related to flow of water to and from reservoirs such as pipelines, penstocks, valves, flumes, stream, flow, spillways and sluice gates; operates vehicles, power tools and hand tools for the proper preventive maintenance; measures and dumps fluoride into hoppers to keep continual flow into the pipelines; inspects, adjusts and operates chlorine station equipment.
5. Escorts visitors, manages public access trails, conducts tours and assists in recreational activities such as weddings and new employee orientations.
6. Attends training and workshops to stay current on laws and regulations; maintain appropriate certifications as necessary such as for confined space entry.
7. Performs related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Positions at Moccasin include the following duties:
- Inspects various facilities such as dams, valve houses, pipelines, and penstocks and reports on conditions.
- Drives 4x4 vehicle in inclement weather.
- May use hand tools, weed whacker, and chainsaw to maintain access.
- May require to work holidays and a schedule other than Monday-Friday.
If you are interested in a job like this, we are looking for people that have the following:
The stated desirable qualifications may be used to identify job finalists at the end of the selection process when candidates are referred for hiring.
- Experience working at a watershed and/or large area of land.
Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process.
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at http://sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=456.
Verification of required work experience typically must be on the employer’s letterhead, and must include the applicant’s name, job title, description of job duties, dates of employment, hours per week, and signature of the employer, supervisor, or appropriate representative.
Employees of the City and County of San Francisco may submit performance evaluations showing duties performed to verify qualifying City experience. City employees will receive credit for the duties of the class to which appointed. Credit for experience obtained outside of the employee's class will be allowed only if recorded in accordance with the provisions of Civil Service Commission Rules. CCSF employees will not receive credit for experience obtained outside of their classification unless recorded in accordance with the provisions of the Civil Service Rule 110.9.1/111A.11.2.
Experience claimed in self-employment will only be accepted if supported by documents verifying income, earnings, business license and experience comparable to minimum qualifications above. Copies of income tax papers or other documents listing occupation and total earnings must be submitted.
Verification of required valid licensure/certification typically must be a photocopy of the license/certificate including the name of the issuing agency as well as the name of the license/certificate holder, license/certificate number, and expiration date.
How To Apply
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
- Select the desired job announcement
- Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
- Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”
- Follow instructions on the screen
In line with the Official Public Health Order to slow the spread of COVID-19, “shelter-in-place” has been issued for all San Francisco residents that is expected to be in effect until further notice. As a result, Department of Human Resources (DHR)’s office (located at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103) is currently closed to the general public. If you have any questions, please feel free to email the Human Resources Analyst listed on this announcement.
We communicate by email
You may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is your responsibility to ensure that your registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, you must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on your computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, you should set up your email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses: @sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org, @famsf.org, @ccsf.edu. You will receive a confirmation email that your online application has been received in response to every announcement for which you apply. You should retain the confirmation email for your records. Failure to receive the email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
Word of advice
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
Have questions about the application process?
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact the exam analyst, Kenson Wong, by telephone at (415) 638-1026, or by email at email@example.com.
Minimum Qualification Supplemental Questionnaire (Weight: Qualifying):
Candidates will be prompted to complete a Supplemental Questionnaire as part of the online employment application. This Minimum Qualification Supplemental Questionnaire is designed to obtain specific information regarding an applicant's experience in relation to the Minimum Qualifications for this position. Applicants must also complete the official application. It is essential that applicants provide complete information in identifying their education, experience and training. The Minimum Qualification Supplemental Questionnaire will be used to evaluate if the applicant possesses the required minimum qualifications.
Supplemental Questionnaire Examination (Weight: 100):
A confidential eligible list of applicant names that have passed the civil service examination process will be created, and used for certification purposes only. An examination score report will be established, so applicants can view the ranks, final scores and number of eligible candidates. Applicant information, including names of applicants on the eligible list, shall not be made public unless required by law. However, an eligible list shall be made available for public inspection, upon request, once the eligible list is exhausted or expired and referrals resolved. The eligible list/score report resulting from this civil service examination process is subject to change after adoption (e.g., as a result of appeals), as directed by the Human Resources Director or the Civil Service Commission.
The duration of the eligible list resulting from this examination process will be of twelve (12) months, and may be extended with the approval of the Human Resources Director.
To find Departments which use this classification, please see https://sfdhr.org/sites/default/files/documents/Forms-Documents/Position-Count-by-Job-Codes.pdf
The certification rule for the eligible list resulting from this examination will be Rule of 3 Scores pending Union's approval on certification rule expansion. Additional selection processes may be conducted by the hiring department prior to making final hiring decisions.
As a selected candidate for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a selected candidate. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
- Candidates for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
If you are a selected candidate, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
Terms of Announcement and Appeal Rights
Applicants must be guided solely by the provisions of this announcement, including requirements, time periods and other particulars, except when superseded by federal, state or local laws, rules or regulations. [Note: The correction of clerical errors in an announcement may be posted on the Department of Human Resources website at www.jobaps.com/sf.] The terms of this announcement may be appealed under Civil Service Rule 110.4. Such appeals must be submitted in writing to the Department of Human Resources, 1 S Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103-5413 by close of business on the 5th business day following the issuance date of this examination announcement. Information concerning other Civil Service Commission Rules involving announcements, applications and examination policies, including applicant appeal rights, can be found on the Civil Service Commission website at http://sfgov.org/civilservice/rules.
General Information concerning City and County of San Francisco Employment Policies and Procedures:
Important Employment Information for the City and County of San Francisco can be obtained at http://sfdhr.org/information-about-hiring-process or hard copy at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor.
Copies of Application Documents:
Applicants should keep copies of all documents submitted, as these will not be returned.
Right to Work:
All persons entering the City and County of San Francisco workforce are required to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States.
Applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum eligibility requirements for this job announcement can find information on requesting a reasonable ADA Accommodation at:
Information regarding requests for Veterans Preference can be found at:
Exam Type: E
Issued: November 03, 2020 (Temporarily suspended: December 14, 2020)
Acting Human Resources Director
Department of Human Resources
Recruitment ID Number: 903253
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.