2430 Medical Evaluations Assistant
|Department||Department of Public Health|
|Date Opened||3/29/2021 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||4/16/2021 2:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$62,192.00 - $75,582.00/year|
|Job Type||CBT Discrete|
CLASS 2430 MEDICAL EVALUATIONS ASSISTANT
Under immediate supervision of a licensed provider, the Medical Evaluations Assistant performs duties which assist in the administration and evaluation of routine medical tests.
Positions are located throughout the Department of Public Health, including Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital and Trauma Center (ZSFG), an acute care hospital and Level I Trauma Center providing extensive, emergency, and inpatient and outpatient services; Laguna Honda Hospital and Rehabilitation Center (LHH); and at the Department of Public Health’s neighborhood health centers and clinics.
WORKING HOURS: Working hours vary depending on location. Some positions may require working evening, night, weekend and holiday shifts.
The 2430 Medical Evaluations Assistant performs the following essential job functions:
· Administers medical tests and treatments to patients including but not limited to Snellen, hearing, venipuncture, immunization, electrocardiogram (ECG), and spirometry;
· Assists the provider performing various physical examinations and procedures;
· Cleans and performs simple maintenance of instruments and equipment;
· Maintains inventory of medical forms
· Maintains proper inventory (including ordering supplies) and stocking of examination supplies;
· Operates and uses medical testing equipment;
· Performs check-ins, intake, and post-examination duties;
· Reviews medical examination procedures with patients;
· Performs medical data entry and retrieval duties;
· Performs and documents physical and written screening of patients;
· Processes patient medical records (including reviewing patient medical records, identifying health care maintenance needs or visit needs);
· Provides patient and family instruction in preventative health issues.
The 2430 Medical Evaluations Assistant also performs other related duties as assigned.
- Possession of a recognized Medical Assistant Degree or Certificate.
- Possession of a valid Certified Phlebotomy Technician I Certificate, issued by the State of California, Department of Health Services.
Substitution: Any of the following may substitute for the required education:
- Completion of an EMT-P (Emergency Medical Technician/Paramedic) Training Program;
- Completion of a U.S. Military Corpsman Training Program; or
- Completion of an EMT Training Program AND two (2) years of verifiable medical assisting work experience.
Applicants must meet the minimum qualification requirement by the final filing date unless otherwise noted.
Possible Special Conditions (some positions may require the following):
1. Telemetry for arrhythmias: 2. Some positions require lifting, moving or carrying from 30 – 50 lbs. of weight. 3. Some positions require ability to assist mobility-impaired patients in and out of wheelchairs, and off and onto examination tables. 4. Bilingual Proficiency: Some positions may require bilingual fluency in a variety of languages depending upon the department's bilingual needs. Only those eligible candidates who pass the bilingual proficiency test will be considered for bilingual positions. Applicants must indicate on the application form the language(s) in which they claim proficiency.
1. Telemetry for arrhythmias:
2. Some positions require lifting, moving or carrying from 30 – 50 lbs. of weight.
3. Some positions require ability to assist mobility-impaired patients in and out of wheelchairs, and off and onto examination tables.
4. Bilingual Proficiency: Some positions may require bilingual fluency in a variety of languages depending upon the department's bilingual needs. Only those eligible candidates who pass the bilingual proficiency test will be considered for bilingual positions. Applicants must indicate on the application form the language(s) in which they claim proficiency.
Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at https://sfdhr.org/how-verify-education-requirements
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
How To Apply
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
- Select the desired job announcement
- Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
- Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”
- Follow instructions on the screen
Computers are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Dept. of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.
In line with the Official Public Health Order to slow the spread of COVID-19, “shelter-in-place” has been issued for all San Francisco residents that is expected to be in effect until further notice. As a result, Department of Human Resources (DHR)’s office (located at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103) is currently closed to the general public. If you have any questions, please feel free to email the Human Resources Analyst listed on this announcement.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org, @famsf.org, @ccsf.edu).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact the exam analyst, Lillian Louie, by email at Lillian.Louie@sfdph.org
Minimum Qualification Supplemental Questionnaire (Weight: Qualifying): Candidates will be prompted to complete a Supplemental Questionnaire as part of the online employment application. This Minimum Qualification Supplemental Questionnaire is designed to obtain specific information regarding an applicant's experience in relation to the Minimum Qualifications for this position. Applicants must also complete the official application. It is essential that applicants provide complete information in identifying their education, experience and training. The Minimum Qualification Supplemental Questionnaire will be used to evaluate if the applicant possesses the required minimum qualifications.
Training and Experience Examination: (Weight: 100%)
Candidates will be prompted to complete a Supplemental Questionnaire as part of the online employment application.
The Supplemental Questionnaire is designed to measure knowledge, skills and/or abilities in job-related areas that have been identified as critical for satisfactory performance in this position. All relevant experience, education and/or training must be included in the application to be reviewed during the scoring process. Candidate responses on the Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be changed once submitted.
Candidates will be placed on the eligible list in rank order according to their final score on the Supplemental Questionnaire.
Eligible List/Score Report:
A confidential eligible list of applicant names that have passed the civil service examination process will be created, and used for certification purposes only. An examination score report will be established, so applicants can view the ranks, final scores and number of eligible candidates. Applicant information, including names of applicants on the eligible list, shall not be made public unless required by law. However, an eligible list shall be made available for public inspection, upon request, once the eligible list is exhausted or expired and referrals resolved. The eligible list/score report resulting from this civil service examination process is subject to change after adoption (e.g., as a result of appeals), as directed by the Human Resources Director or the Civil Service Commission.
The duration of the eligible list resulting from this examination process will be of six (6) months, and may be extended with the approval of the Human Resources Director.
To find Departments which use this classification, please see https://sfdhr.org/sites/default/files/documents/ASO-Level-Chart.pdf?documentID=21246.
The certification rule for the eligible list resulting from this examination will be Rule of Three Scores. Additional selection processes may be conducted by the hiring department prior to making final hiring decisions.
As a selected candidate for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a selected candidate. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
- Candidates for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
If you are a selected candidate, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
General Information concerning City and County of San Francisco Employment Policies and Procedures:
Important Employment Information for the City and County of San Francisco can be obtained at http://sfdhr.org/information-about-hiring-process or hard copy at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor.
Copies of Application Documents:
Applicants should keep copies of all documents submitted, as these will not be returned.
Right to Work:
All persons entering the City and County of San Francisco workforce are required to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States.
Terms of Announcement and Appeal Rights
Applicants must be guided solely by the provisions of this announcement, including requirements, time periods and other particulars, except when superseded by federal, state or local laws, rules or regulations. [Note: The correction of clerical errors in an announcement may be posted on the Department of Human Resources website at www.jobaps.com/sf.] The terms of this announcement may be appealed under Civil Service Rule 110.4. Such appeals must be submitted in writing to the Department of Human Resources, 1 S Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103-5413 by close of business on the 5th business day following the issuance date of this examination announcement. Information concerning other Civil Service Commission Rules involving announcements, applications and examination policies, including applicant appeal rights, can be found on the Civil Service Commission website at http://sfgov.org/civilservice/rules.
Applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum eligibility requirements for this job announcement can find information on requesting a reasonable ADA Accommodation at:
Information regarding requests for Veterans Preference can be found at:
Valid licensure/certification/registration as a requirement to perform the job must be kept current throughout length of employment. Failure to demonstrate/show proof of possession of required valid licensure/certification/registration may result in dismissal and/or termination of employment.
Note on ICARE: Willingness to uphold/abide by ZSFG’s ICARE (I-Introduce, C-Connect, A-Ask, R-Respond, E-Exit) philosophy for employee and patient interactions.
Note on Electronic Health Record (EHR): The Department of Public Health (DPH) has implemented a unified Electronic Health Record (EHR) system and DPH employees must demonstrate competency in the use of the system that is appropriate for their classification as a condition of employment.
Note on Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): Some positions in the Department of Public Health will require the use of personal protective equipment (PPE), including but not limited to gloves, gowns, eye and face protection, and face-fitting respirators. The requirement for the use of PPE may come on short or no notice. Facial hair or any condition that interferes with a face-fitting respirator’s seal (i.e. comes between the sealing surfaces of the respirator and the wearer’s bare skin) is not permitted when face-fitting respirators are worn, including during initial or periodic respirator fit-testing.
Employees who choose not to shave and do not have either American Disabilities Act (ADA) or Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Accommodations do not have the right to alternate work assignments or the option of using a loose-fitting Powered Air Purifying Respirator (PAPR) in place of a FaceFitting Respirator.
Medical Examination/Drug Testing:
Prior to appointment, at the Department's expense, applicants may be required to take a tuberculosis (TB) screening test, a medical examination and/or drug test.
Exam Type: ENTRANCE
Issued: March 29, 2021
Acting Human Resources Director
Department of Human Resources
Recruitment ID Number: CBT-2430-903665
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|