7334 Stationary Engineer
|Department||Community College District|
|Date Opened||1/10/2019 5:30:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||1/24/2019 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$41.45 Hourly; $86,233.00 Annual.|
Location: Main Ocean campus and various City College centers.
Appointment Type: One (1) full-time (40 hours/week) full year (260 working days) Provisional position. A provisional appointee must participate and be successful in a Civil Service examination for this classification and be selected through an open competitive process in order to be considered for permanent appointment. Provisional appointments may not exceed three (3) years.
Position Description: Under general supervision, the 7334 Stationary Engineer maintain and repair a wide variety of pumping, heating, ventilating, air-conditioning, refrigeration and auxiliary plant machinery and equipment in a large complex or multi-faceted facility. The 7334 Stationary Engineer ensures that all equipment, machinery and systems are functioning normally and safely, and complies with all applicable safety rules and regulations.
1. Operates, maintains and repairs all components of the HVAC systems within the San Francisco Community College District (SFCCD); high and low pressure boilers, steam and hot water building heating equipment, ventilation and air-conditioning machinery. These components include but are not limited to: air compressors, air handlers of various sizes, room air conditioners, boiler and pneumatic controls, high capacity water and air-cooled chillers, cooling towers, electric motors, pumps, heat exchangers, thermostats, controllers and controlled devices, ventilation filters and valves.
2. Operates, maintains and repairs emergency power systems including: diesel and natural gas fired-motor driven generators and high volume fire pumps, battery banks, alternate fuel sources for boiler operation, and emergency lighting equipment.
3. Maintains a log of shift operation, documenting work performed, machinery in operation, vendors working in campus and center buildings and any other significant occurrences during the day. Records natural gas and water usage in campus facilities. Contacts elevator and building maintenance vendors for necessary repairs to their equipment.
4. Performs water treatment management for the boilers, cooling towers, and hot and cold loop systems for the SFCCD. Management includes the testing of water, analysis of results and the corresponding treatment to maintain optimum performance of the system.
5. Knowledge of life safety and fireman’s control panel is essential.
6. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Four (4) years of verified journey-level stationary engineer experience in the maintenance, repair and operation of a variety of mechanical and electrical pumping, heating, air conditioning, ventilating and related plant machinery used in a government establishment, hospital, industrial, production or commercial building.
License and Certification:
Possession of a valid California Driver’s License. Possession at time of hire a Universal Chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) certificate issued by the Federal Environmental Protection Agency.
Special Condition: Two (2) years high pressure steam boiler experience.
Any of the following may be substituted for the required experience:
• Completion of a recognized four-year Stationary Engineer apprenticeship program.
• Graduation from a recognized four-year Maritime Academy with a degree in engineering or technology.
• Possession of at least a 3rd Assistant Marine Engineer’s License of any (unrestricted) horsepower.
NOTE: Work experience with the District as a College Work Study student or Lab Aide (3591) Classification will not be considered or applied as qualifying experience.
1. HAZMAT training.
2. Energy management system experience.
3. Underground storage tank certificate.
4. Air-Conditioning repair experience.
5. High Rise Fire Safety Certificate issued by the San Francisco Fire Department in conjunction with Local 39.6. Diesel Driven Stand-by Generator experience.7. High pressure steam boiler experience.
How To Apply
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
- Select the desired job announcement
- Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
- Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”
- Follow instructions on the screen
Computers are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Dept. of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org, @famsf.org, @ccsf.edu).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact the analyst, Francisco Gonzalez, by telephone at (415) 487-2446 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
To be considered a candidate for this position, the following materials must be submitted, along with a completed electronic application (employment history must be filled in), by the filing deadline. Substitution of required documents is not permitted.
Note: THE EMPLOYMENT HISTORY PORTION SECTION OF APPLICATION MUST BE COMPLETED.
1. A letter expressing interest in the position specifically indicating how you meet the minimum and Desirable Qualifications as listed in this announcement; AND
2. A current resume summarizing educational background and related work experiences; AND
3. Copy of valid California Drivers License; AND
4. Copy of Universal Chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) certificate issued by The Federal Environmental Protection Agency; AND
IF Applying education to substitute for qualifying experience to meet minimum qualifications as described in the minimum qualifications section above,
5. Educational Verification:
Verification of qualifying education must include copies of transcripts, diplomas, or certificates. If verification is impossible of obtain, the applicant must submit a signed statement with the application explaining why such verification cannot be obtained. Request for waiver will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Foreign degree(s)/coursework used as qualifying to meet minimum qualifications must be evaluated by a foreign degree evaluation services organization before an application can be processed. Please contact the CCSF Human Resources Department at (415) 241-2246 for evaluation sources. Failure to submit the required verification will result in rejection of the application.
Verification of Experience:
Verification of experience may be requested at any time during this recruitment and selection process. If requested, verification of experience needed to qualify must be submitted on the employer’s letterhead and indicate the name of the applicant, job title, dates of employment, hours/week, and duties performed, and must be signed by the supervisor and/or appropriate company representative. Verification of experience may be waived if impossible to obtain. The applicant must submit a signed statement with the application explaining why verification cannot be obtained. Waiver requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Failure to submit the required verification or request for a waiver at the time of verification is requested may result in the rejection of the application.
Applications will be screened for relevant qualifying experience. Additional screening mechanisms may be implemented in order to determine applicants’ qualifications. Only those applicants who most closely meet the needs of the Department will be invited to participate in the selection process. Applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement to the interview.
As a selected candidate for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a selected candidate. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
- Candidates for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
If you are a selected candidate, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
Reasonable Accommodation Request:
Applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum eligibility requirements for this job announcement can find information on requesting a reasonable ADA Accommodation at: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#applicantswithdisabilities
General Information concerning City and County of San Francisco Employment Policies and Procedures: Important Employment Information for the City and County of San Francisco can be obtained at http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20 or hard copy at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103.
Terms of Announcement: Applicants must be guided solely by the provisions of this announcement, including requirements, time periods and other particulars, except when superseded by federal, state or local laws, rules or regulations. Clerical errors may be corrected by posting the correction on the Department of Human Resources website at: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#announcementsdefinitions
Copies of Application Documents: Applicants are encouraged to keep copies of all documents submitted. Submitted documents become a permanent part of the exam records and will not be returned. The hiring department may require applicants to submit the same documents and/or additional documents at a later date.
Right to Work: All persons entering the City and County of San Francisco workforce are required to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States. http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#identification
Micki Callahan Human Resources Director
Department of Human Resources
Issued: January 10, 2019
Recruitment ID Number: TPV-7334-093292