9910 Workforce Planning Associate
|Department||Public Utilities Commission|
|Date Opened||2/8/2018 1:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$28 per Hour|
|Job Type||Temporary Exempt|
Appointment Type: Temporary exempt. Exempt employees are considered “at will” and serve at the discretion of the appointing officer.
The Human Resource Services at the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission is Offering Internship Opportunities in the area of Enterprise Workforce Planning.
Who are we?
San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (SFPUC)
Headquartered in San Francisco, we have 2,300 employees working in seven counties with a combined annual operating budget of over $900 million.
Our Mission: To provide our customers with high quality, efficient, and reliable water, power, and wastewater services in a manner that values environmental and community interests and sustains the resources entrusted to our care.
Our Vision: We are an innovative utility leader, recognized for excellent results in service, safety, stewardship, and inclusiveness.
We are an award-winning and industry-leading utilities organization committed to our customers, community interests, and the environment. To learn more about our organization, please visit our website at www.sfwater.org.
We are proud of our infrastructure and programs, but most importantly, we value our highly qualified and dedicated workforce which ensures that this vision becomes a reality. As you explore career opportunities with us, download our career guide and learn about what you can expect during the hiring process.
About Enterprise Workforce Planning
We are Enterprise Workforce Planning (EWP), a team within Human Resource Services at the SFPUC. We were founded in 2014 to address changing workforce needs and succession planning issues at the SFPUC. We strive to create a workplace with thriving, diverse, and engaged employees using innovative, behavioral science-based consulting to the SFPUC.
1. Implement a competency framework to align all talent management practices
2. Establish an organization-wide workforce planning process to address workforce gaps across the SFPUC
3. Increase employee engagement and build a culture of high-performance and inclusivity
4. Expand our internal consulting in the areas of talent management, organizational effectiveness, and diversity, equity, and inclusion
5. Provide business and talent insights to build a culture of data-based decision making
As a Workforce Planning Associate, you are regularly exposed to relevant decision makers within the SFPUC and are given unique opportunities to impact the organization through collaboration with teams spanning a wide-variety of occupations. To learn more about working at the SFPUC, visit our career site at www.sfwater.org/careers.
• On-site childcare center and café to support workforce needs
• On-site bicycle parking, locker rooms and electric vehicle charge stations
• Close to commute/transit locations (e.g., BART, MUNI, Golden Gate Transit, parking garages)
• Proximity to numerous food and café options (e.g., Brenda’s French Soul Food, Philz Coffee, Golden Era Vegan Restaurant)
The duration of this internship is 6 months to 1 year, with an opportunity to extend the duration of the position based on exemplary performance.
We have two different internship positions available: Workforce Planning Associate and Workforce Planning--Engagement Associate.
For both positions, we are looking for associates who:
• Are highly organized, with great attention to detail while always keeping the larger picture in mind
• Are familiar with research concepts and methodologies in business settings
• Think critically through their work and continuously strive to gain deeper understanding
• Embrace learning and maximizing technology
• Are self-motivated and able to work both independently and collaboratively
Associates in this position will develop professional competence as a journey-level analyst while working under the guidance and supervision of EWP staff. Initially, the
Associate will perform routine tasks under close supervision, and will eventually work with increased independence as professional competence is demonstrated.
As a Workforce Planning Associate, you will:
Participate in analyzing, researching, and consulting functions related to competency-based workforce planning and other talent management initiatives. Example duties include learning about and assisting with:
• Research and analysis to support the identification of critical technical, behavioral, and leadership competencies required for successful performance in jobs and teams across the SFPUC
• Research and analysis of data using standard software programs such as Excel
• Development of survey instruments and interview questions to gather data from individuals and groups of subject matter experts
• Preparation of reports, presentations, and technical documents to ensure transparency of the project work
• Other key initiatives associated with workforce planning and talent management
The nature of this work will provide employees with direct experience in applied Industrial-Organizational Psychology, job analysis, strategic human resource management, survey design and data analysis, and consulting.
As a Workforce Planning—Engagement Associate, you will:
Assist with continuous communication and change management functions related to employee engagement analytics, programs, and initiatives. Example duties include assisting with:
• Planning and creation of content, resources, and communications regarding engagement
• Implementation of new engagement software/platforms, including for surveying, recognition, and manager effectiveness
• Collaboration with the SFPUC Communications Team to develop and write articles that highlight employee engagement news and stories
• Education of managers and employees on improving engagement using tools and best practices
• Interpretation of survey results or conducting follow up analyses
• Survey design and development of project timelines
• Research regarding best practices and trends in employee engagement
• Other key initiatives associated with workforce planning and talent management
The nature of this work will provide interns with direct experience in applied Industrial-Organizational Psychology, strategic human resource management, communications, change management, and survey design and data analysis.
How can you succeed in this position?
The Enterprise Workforce Planning Competency Model outlines the competencies that are needed for success as a part of this team:
If you are interested in a job like this, we are looking for people that have the following:
Graduated from, or currently enrolled in, a graduate program (Master’s degree or higher) from an accredited college or university.
Graduate program/degree in Industrial-Organizational Psychology, or other closely related field (e.g., Industrial Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Applied Social Psychology, Behavioral Psychology).
How To Apply
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only accepted through an online process.
Visit http://www.jobaps.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
• Select the desired job announcement
• Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
• Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”
• Follow instructions on the screen
Need help completing the application?
Computers are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Dept. of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.
We communicate by e-mail.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org). Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
Word of advice:
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may result in lower scores. If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact the exam analyst, Brandon Bradley, by telephone at 415-554-1667 or by email at BBradley@sfwater.org.
If you receive a conditional offer of employment, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you were given a conditional offer of employment. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
• Candidates for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history
not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
• Candidates for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
If you receive a conditional offer of employment, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
All City and County of San Francisco employees are designated Disaster Service Workers through state and local law (California Government Code Section 3100-3109). Employment with the City requires the affirmation of a loyalty oath to this effect. Employees are required to complete all Disaster Service Worker-related training as assigned, and to return to work as ordered in the event of an emergency.
Reasonable Accommodation Request: Applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum eligibility requirements for this job announcement can find information on requesting a reasonable ADA Accommodation at: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#applicantswithdisabilities
Veteran’s Preference: Information regarding requests for Veterans Preference can be found at: https://sfdhr.org/veterans-preference
General Information concerning City and County of San Francisco Employment Policies and Procedures: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20
Copies of Application Documents: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#copies
Right to Work: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#identification. All persons entering the City and County of San Francisco workforce are required to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States.
Issued: February 8, 2018
Micki Callahan, Human Resources Director
Department of Human Resources
Recruitment ID: TEX-9910-902612 (01130702, 01142933)
PUC/BB (415) 554-1667
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|