3630 Librarian 1
|Date Opened||12/12/2018 08:00:00 AM|
|Salary||$37.60 - $45.69/hour|
|Job Type||Temporary Exempt|
Attention: This job announcement is for Temporary Exempt As-Needed Positions ONLY.
About the San Francisco Public Library: The San Francisco Public Library (SFPL) is one of the premier urban public libraries in the country, and proud winner of the 2018 Library of the Year Award. The San Francisco Public Library is a leader in creating visionary policies and innovative programs that promote literacy and learning, digital inclusion, social justice, and healthy communities. It embraces its role as the most democratic of institutions, providing safe and welcoming facilities for all members of the community. Visit http://sfpl.org for more information.
Class & Title: 3630 Librarian I
Location: Main Library, Branches or Community Programs and Partnerships
Type: Temporary- Exempt As-Needed (TEX AN) Appointment. This position is excluded by the Charter from the competitive civil service examination process and shall serve at the discretion of the appointing officer.
Work Schedule: As-Needed schedules vary based on the needs of the library system. All SFPL locations are open 7 days a week. Selected candidates from this applicant pool may be assigned to work at any location. Positions are scheduled for less than 20 hours per week and may not exceed 1,040 hours within a twelve (12) month period.
Duties and Responsibilities: The San Francisco Public Library is seeking applicants for our Temporary Exempt As-Needed Librarian I applicant pool. This applicant pool will be aimed at interested Librarian I candidates who are available to provide as-needed Librarian services for the SFPL system. The Librarian I provides professional library services to a diverse community. Duties may include: providing reference and readers' advisory service to children, teens, adults and seniors; assisting library patrons in the use of library materials and technology; providing children's storytime, teen and/or adult programming as needed, including computer, catalog and database instruction; providing information; recommending titles that can enhance the collection and responding to library users needs; assisting users of all ages in accessing print and electronic resources; performing other job-related duties as assigned.
Note: Persons filing applications under this announcement will be placed in an APPLICANT POOL from which candidates will be selected for future appointments when as-needed positions in this classification become vacant within the San Francisco Public Library system. Applications will be kept active for one year. Applicants meeting the Minimum Qualifications are not guaranteed advancement to the interview phase. Candidates selected for interview will be contacted by telephone or email.
Examples of Important and Essential Duties
According to Civil Service Commission Rule 109, the duties specified below are representative of the range of duties assigned to this job code/class and are not intended to be an inclusive list.
1. Assists patrons in locating and using library facilities and materials, in selecting materials, and in answering a wide variety of questions.
2. Recommends library materials to be purchased, repaired or discarded; may be responsible for the selection and maintenance of library materials of assigned section(s) of the collection and suggests which materials shall be non-circulating materials.
3. Performs reference work; performs research; performs readers advisory; prepares detailed bibliographies, book lists and other information; teaches patrons to access and use digital resources.
4. Plans and conducts programs and outreach for children, young adults, and adults; meets with educators; visits and works with various adult and community groups to promote the use of and interest in the library.
5. Catalogs and classifies library material; determines and assigns main entry, cross references and subject headings; adapts Library cataloging records for the library and participates in determining cataloging policy.
6. Writes reports and correspondence; may supervise the maintenance and/or preparation of various files and records.
7. Plans or assists in planning and setting up displays and exhibits; assists in maintaining a pleasant and orderly atmosphere in the branch or department.
8. May supervise subordinate staff.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of: Modern library methods, procedures and techniques, and knowledge of the role of a public library in the community.
Ability and Skill to: Work courteously and effectively with library patrons and outside organizations; evaluate a wide variety of library materials; educate, advise, and instruct library patrons in the use of library facilities and materials; locate information and materials; maintain files, records and prepare reports; may require the ability to supervise.
These minimum qualifications establish the education, training, experience, special skills and/or license(s) which are required for employment in the classification. Please note, additional qualifications (i.e., special conditions) may apply to a particular position and will be stated on the exam/job announcement.
- Possession of a Masters of library and information science (MLS or MLIS) degree from a library school accredited by the American Library Association. You must have attained your degree and completed your Master's program in order to be eligible for this recruitment.
- Applicants must have a flexible schedule of availability which must include weekends and/or evenings.
- Some positions require experience working with children and youth services or college/university level coursework relating to work with children's and youth services.
- For the Branch Division, candidates may be expected and should be prepared to conduct a 5-10 minute storytime or book talk during the selection process.
- May be asked to travel to different Library locations within San Francisco. A CA Class C Driver's License is required for positions assigned duties on the Bookmobile.
Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at http://sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=456
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
How To Apply
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
- Select the desired job announcement (TEX-3630-092162)
- Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
- Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”
- Follow instructions on the screen
Computers are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Dept. of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org, @famsf.org, @ccsf.edu).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact the recruitment analyst, Jamie Shih, by telephone at (415) 557-4582, or by email at Jamie.Shih@sfpl.org.
Applications will be screened for relevant qualifying experience. Additional screening mechanisms may be implemented in order to determine candidates' qualifications. Only those applicants who most closely meet the needs of the department will be invited to participate in the selection process. Applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement to the interview.
Hiring managers will conduct a brief interview session with selected applicants. Chosen applicants will then go through a pre-employment process before being on-boarded as a TEX As-Needed Librarian I with the San Francisco Public Library.
As a finalist for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a finalist. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
- Candidates for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
If you are selected as a finalist, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
1. General Information concerning City and County of San Francisco Employment Policies and Procedures: Important Employment Information for the City and County of San Francisco can be obtained at http://sfdhr.org/information-about-hiring-process or hard copy at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor.
2. Copies of Application Documents: Applicants should keep copies of all documents submitted, as these will not be returned.
3. Right to Work: All persons entering the City and County of San Francisco workforce are required to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States.
4. Reasonable Accommodation Request: Applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum eligibility requirements for this job announcement can find information on requesting a reasonable ADA Accommodation at: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#applicantswithdisabilities
Issued: December 12, 2018
Human Resources Director
Department of Human Resources
Recruitment ID Number: TEX-3630-092162
LIB/ JS / (415) 557-4582
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|