1426 Senior Clerk Typist
|Department||San Francisco Unified School District|
|Analyst||Charles Smith-De Ville|
|Date Opened||7/9/2018 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||7/28/2018 5:00:00 PM|
|Job Type||Temporary Exempt|
1426 Senior Clerk Typist (Part-Time)
Who We Are
The San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD) is the seventh largest school district in California, serving more than 57,000 students who speak more than 44 documented languages across 132 schools in the city of San Francisco every year. We aim for every student who attends SFUSD schools to discover his or her spark, along with a strong sense of self and purpose, and that all students graduate from high school ready for college and career, and equipped with the skills, capacities and dispositions outlined in SFUSD’s Graduate Profile. Every day in our quest to achieve this mission we provide each and every student the quality instruction and equitable support required to thrive in the 21st century.
What It Means to Work Here
When you join our team at SFUSD you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused organization that approaches public education as a social justice movement, requiring broad collaboration across an array of strategic partners. In 2014 SFUSD created an inspiring statement, Vision 2025, which captures our aspirations and vision for the future of public education in San Francisco. Alongside the District’s strategic plan, Transform Learning. Transform Lives. SFUSD is reimagining how public education will change over the next decade to meet the dynamic future of San Francisco. As a CORE district, SFUSD is also a leader in critical systems change for more comprehensive school accountability and innovations that help strengthen the instructional core, which is the foundation of our strategic plan and Vision 2025.
Who We Want
We want talented people from diverse backgrounds and experiences, who are inspired by our mission steeped in equity, and who are motivated to unleash our children’s potential. We want people who are strong collaborators, skilled communicators, problem solvers and who are comfortable in a community of continuous learning.
Under general supervision, the 1426 Senior Clerk Typist performs difficult and specialized typing and office clerical work in connection with the preparation and maintenance of a wide variety of operating, financial, purchasing, accounting and similar records and reports; may supervise a small group of subordinate typing and clerical personnel engaged in varied clerical work; and performs related duties as required. Requires responsibility for: interpreting, carrying out and enforcing existing departmental methods and procedures in connection with office operations; making regular contacts with other departmental personnel, the general public and outside organizations relative to office operations; preparing, checking and reviewing detailed and important office operational records and reports. This is a Temporary Part-Time (0.8 FTE) position.
● Answer telephones for the Communications Division:
o Provide information in connection with departmental activities where appropriate;
o Take messages for Communications staff and follow up on requested service/information.
● Prepare correspondence as required including letters, memos, event lists and newsletters for internal and external distribution.
● Prepare and monitor status of general requisitions, purchase orders, and reimbursements.
● Support events, including: reproduction of materials, setup and clean up for scheduled events, etc.
● Maintain office filing system, equipment, and supplies.
● Process biweekly payroll.
● Provide all levels of administrative support as directed by Supervisor.
● Compiles and condenses technical and statistical data from various sources which requires an understanding of problems and terminology involved and relevant rules and regulations governing such activities.
● Posts a variety of information and data on SFUSD web properties and other online platforms.
● Checks and reviews a variety of documents for sufficiency and conformance to established standards and requirements.
● May assign, supervise and review the work of subordinate clerical typing personnel in the performance of routine and somewhat varied clerical tasks.
● May supervise and participate in the maintenance of a large variety of detailed clerical records, reports and similar materials.
Please note that this is a temporary position which will be discontinued after a Civil Service exam is conducted and the names of eligible candidates have been released. If you are selected for this position, and separately take and pass the Civil Service exam for the 1426 Classification you will be eligible for consideration for a permanent position on this team. Please see SF JobAps for more information.
San Francisco Unified School District programs, activities, and practices shall be free from unlawful discrimination, harassment, intimidation, and bullying based on actual or perceived race, color, ancestry, national origin, ethnic group identification, age, religion, marital or parental status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or gender expression; or on the basis of a person’s association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics. This policy extends to San Francisco County Office of Education, including community school programs and activities.
 Effective 7/1/2018.
* certain benefits only available after reaching 1040 hours of employment in a 12-month period.
These minimum qualifications establish the education, training, experience, special skills and/or license(s) which are required for employment in the classification. Please note, additional qualifications (i.e., special conditions) may apply to a particular position and will be stated on the exam/job announcement.
Two (2) years of verifiable clerical experience including at least one year at a level comparable to a 1424 Clerk Typist. Experience must have included data entry, preparing and maintaining a wide variety of documents and reports, public contact, checking and reviewing documents for completeness, and performing mathematical computations. Working as a sales clerk or restaurant help does not qualify.
License and Certification:
A recognized clerical training program of 240 hours or the equivalent of 15 semester units in graded clerical college units may substitute for up to 6 months of experience.
● You will be prompted to electronically attach a letter of interest, resume, list of professional references
● Our Human Resources team will then review your entire application to determine your eligibility status and contact you directly should you move forward in the process.
As a finalist for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a finalist. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
- Candidates for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
If you are selected as a finalist, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.