1402 Junior Clerk
Logic and Accuracy Proofer
|Department||Department of Elections|
|Date Opened||7/24/2018 4:30:00 PM|
|Job Type||Temporary Exempt|
The Department of Elections (Department) conducts all federal, state, and local elections in the City and County of San Francisco, currently serving approximately 475,000 registered voters. The Department follows the rules and regulations established by federal, state, and local laws – notably, the Voting Rights Act, the Help America Vote Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and the City’s Language Access Ordinance. Additionally, the Department operates in an open and transparent manner to inspire the City’s confidence in the integrity of elections processes.
Serving approximately 475,000 registered voters, the Department of Elections prepares approximately 3,000 voting equipment components for use in 583 precincts. The Department hires temporary staff to conduct testing and preparation of this equipment prior to an Election. The Department is currently preparing for the November 6, 2018 election.
The Department runs its Logic and Accuracy operations from its warehouse location at Pier 48. The Logic and Accuracy Proofers will work primarily at Pier 48 warehouse location.
These positions are responsible for a variety of important tasks and applicants are encouraged to learn more about what to expect during employment with the Department by watching this video:
Temporary exempt as-needed appointment is not to exceed six (6) months or 1040 hours. Exempt employees are considered “at will” and serve at the discretion of the appointing officer.
Duration of Work:
The position has an estimated start date of September 24, 2018 and an estimated end date of November 29, 2018.
Work hours are generally 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., but some paid evening and weekend overtime hours will likely be required. Working overtime is common during an election cycle, especially before, on, and after Election Day; the person in this position may occasionally work 60-70 hours per week.
The ideal candidate must have strong work ethic and a high level of integrity. The position requires someone with excellent analytical and proofreading skills. Tasks include the accurate proofreading of reports generated by voting equipment both independently or as a team, preparing and organizing test ballots, and preparing and inspecting voting equipment. Every task is performed in a strict process driven environment and requires flexibility and adaptability.
Typical tasks include:
- Proofreading reports individually or as a team with expected 100% accuracy
- Filing of reports and documents in a prescribed manner
- Organizing and filing of reports and documents
- Validating, monitoring, or tracking reports
- Handling of voting equipment which may include labeling, tagging, bagging, cleaning, and organizing
- Scanning barcodes, and preparing forms and labels
- Providing general clerical support
These minimum qualifications are to be used as a guide for establishing the education, training, experience, special skills and/or license which may be required for employment in the class. Although these minimum qualifications are typical of the class, additional minimum qualifications and special conditions may apply to a particular position and will be stated on the job announcement.
- Six (6) months (equivalent to 1000 hours) of verifiable clerical experience including preparing and maintaining a variety of records and/or documents, filing, use of office equipment, public contact and processing of incoming and outgoing mail: OR
- Completion of a clerical training program (240 hours); OR
- 15 semester units (or equivalent quarter units) of coursework from an accredited college or university
The stated desirable qualifications may be used to identify job finalists for hiring.
- Experience in proofing voting system reports
- Working experience with operating voting equipment
- Previous data entry experience
- Ability to follow instructions
- Keen concentration and strong ability to focus on task
- Detail oriented and well organized
- Ability to perform multiple tasks
- Must be able to adapt well to work schedule changes
- Fast learner and attentive
- Excellent work ethic and sense of responsibility
- Ability to operate office equipment, including handheld scanners, and computer terminals.
As a finalist for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a finalist. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
- Candidates for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
If you are selected as a finalist, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|