Technology Expert I (Cloud Infrastructure Specialist)
|Date Opened||6/15/2020 10:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||8/12/2020 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$133,120 - $167,440/year|
|Job Type||Permanent Exempt|
Salary range: $133,120 - $167,440 Salary upon appointment will be based on candidate’s documented and substantiated exceptional skills and experience.
Appointment Type: Permanent-Exempt. This position is exempt from Civil Service Commission rules pursuant to the City and County of San Francisco, Charter Section 10.104, and incumbents serve at the discretion of the Appointing Officer.
The Department of Building Inspection (“DBI”) has a Permanent Exempt (PEX) opportunity for a 9976 Technology Expert I (Cloud Infrastructure Specialist). DBI oversees the effective, efficient, fair and safe enforcement of City building, housing, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, and disability access codes for San Francisco’s more than 200,000 buildings. This position is located at 1660 Mission Street (position will move to our new building at 49 South Van Ness in the spring of 2020).
Under general direction of the IT Manager, this position will be responsible for creating, designing and managing the transition of DBI’s current on premise compute architecture to the future state - IaaS and City’s hybrid cloud environment. This role requires expert knowledge and understanding of cloud infrastructure, virtualization, networking in enterprise environment and software defined network. Participate in enterprise solution implementation with the knowledge of business processes in relation to the continuous integration and delivery of services in the cloud at scale. At a broader scale, the Cloud Infrastructure Specialist will be responsible for realizing the architectural, transitional and operational aspects of the DBI’s technology infrastructure in alignment with the department strategic objectives.
The essential functions of this position include:
• Be responsible for designing and implementing technology infrastructure to support the enterprise.
• Provide oversight for system requirements and ensures secure deployment and effective integration with other resources in the technology infrastructure landscape.
• Ensure that all systems are working at optimal levels and offers support to application development team regarding new technologies and system requirements.
• Maintain in-depth and up to date knowledge of industry standards, guidelines, technology trends for supporting technology infrastructure and architecture
• Evaluate and recommend technologies that best fit enterprise strategic needs.
• Ensure consistent use of technology infrastructure stack in alignment with IT enterprise architecture strategy, framework and supporting processes.
• Engage with project sponsors, client and project stakeholders to understand system requirements.
• Translate complex concepts and solutions to non-technical audiences.
• Assume a leadership role in ensuring technical compliance with all technology infrastructure designs and solutions.
• Develop transition plans for moving workloads between on-premise and off-premise environments, integration of multiple 3rd party cloud offerings, and planning long term solutions for cloud computing and storage.
• Lead development of infrastructure reference architectures, methodologies, standards and leading practices.
• Develop and maintain the Enterprise Infrastructure Architecture models for technology infrastructure.
• Support architecting cloud based applications, mobile applications and infrastructure, web services, middleware and databases needed to support the future state technology platform.
• Lead and support vendor selection process and provides recommendations for investment in technology solutions, supported by appropriate ROI, total cost of ownership, and/or cost benefit analyses.
• Develop architectural standards and roadmaps for technology infrastructure to add significant value to the business.
• Create standards and guiding principles to help define and govern the future state architecture, organization structure, business processes, information systems and infrastructure.
• Lead solution architects and provides technical guidance and training others within capability scope for technology infrastructure.
• Support architecting cloud based applications, networking, security, mobile applications and infrastructure, web services, middleware and databases needed to support the future state technology platform.
• Work across multiple organizational teams to deliver solutions to support business objectives.
• Responsible for integration of platforms such as IaaS, hybrid cloud and SaaS.
• Ownership of cloud infrastructure to support service integration with API management tools.
• Evaluate various private, public cloud technologies and tools for technical, functional, integrative and financial feasibility to support ongoing and future operations at scale.
• Provide technical leadership for all phases of the enterprises cloud and operational objectives including the ongoing integration of Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS), and cloud application and service driven architecture.
• Perform related duties and responsibilities, as assigned.
Nature of Work
Essential duties require the following physical skills and work environment: Ability to work in a standard office environment which may involve prolonged sitting, bending and operation of typing, word processing and other office equipment; and ability to work evening meetings.
Possession of a Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, management information systems, data processing, electrical engineering, or a closely related field.
Seven (7) years of recent and verifiable experience in Networking and Infrastructure Technology or in a related area; AND
Five (5) years of recent and verifiable experience in architecting solutions for the Cloud in the following areas: AWS, Azure, PaaS, IaaS, Jenkins, Linux, REST APIs
**Please note: The number of years of experiences required must be recent. **
Education Substitution: Additional experience as described above may be substituted for the required degree on a year-for-year basis (up to a maximum of two (2) years). Thirty (30) semester units or forty-five (45) quarter units equal one (1) year.
Additional Requirement: In addition to meeting the minimum qualifications, this position requires sufficient strength and coordination of lifting, pushing, pulling and/or carrying the 35 Lbs. weight of computer systems equipment. It also requires bending, stooping and/or crawling in order to install or repair computer systems hardware (TST029).
The above minimum qualifications
reflect special conditions associated with the position(s) to be filled. They
may differ from the standard minimum qualifications associated with this
The stated desirable qualifications may be used to identify job finalists at the end of the selection process when candidates are referred to hiring.
· Seven (7) years of recent and verifiable experience in performing solution architecture, developing, choreographing, designing and orchestrating service driven solutions for the cloud in fast paced environments.
· Experience building and configuring elastically scalable, fault tolerant cloud architecture patterns.
· Experience migrating legacy applications to a service oriented, cloud optimized architecture in a large IT organization.
· Expert knowledge of Enterprise Architecture frameworks and principles.
· Deep understanding of networking and telecom concepts including OSI, switching, routing, DNS and registry services as well as SDN architecture and design
· Recent and verifiable experience in virtualization platforms such as VMware, Azure, GCP, OpenStack
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills for various audiences, both business and technical.
Applicants must meet the minimum
qualification requirement by the final filing date unless otherwise noted.
One year full-time employment is equivalent to 2,000 hours (2,000 hours of qualifying work experience is based on a 40 hour work week). Any overtime hours that you work above 40 hours per week are not included in the calculation to determine full-time employment.
How To Apply
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
- Select the PEX-9976-106021 job announcement
- Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
- Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”
- Follow instructions on the screen
Computers are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Dept. of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org, @famsf.org, @ccsf.edu).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact the exam analyst, Yvonne Lin, by telephone at 415-558-6675, or by email at email@example.com.
Resumes may be attached to the
application; however, resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed City
and County of San Francisco application.
Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found here.
Verification of qualifying experience, when requested, must be documented on the employer's business letterhead and must include the name of the applicant, job title(s), dates of employment, description of job duties performed, and signature of the employer or the employer’s authorized representative. Experience claimed in self-employment will only be accepted if supported by documents verifying income, earnings, business license and experience comparable to minimum qualifications above. Copies of income tax papers or other documents listing occupation and total earnings must be submitted. Employees of the City and County of San Francisco may submit performance evaluations showing duties performed to verify qualifying City experience. City employees will receive credit for the duties of the class to which appointed. Credit for experience obtained outside of the employee's class will be allowed only if recorded in accordance with the provisions of Civil Service Commission Rules. Verification may be waived if impossible to obtain. The applicant must submit a signed statement explaining why verification cannot be obtained. Waiver requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Failure to provide the required verification, or request for waiver when requested may result in rejection of application.
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco. Make sure your application and any attachments to the application submitted at the time of filing are complete and accurate and include details on all experience, education, training and other information that qualifies you for this recruitment. Failure to submit a complete and accurate application at the time of filing may result in your ineligibility for this recruitment or inability to receive full credit for scoring purposes. Any new information concerning work experience, education, training and other information that is submitted after the filing deadline may not be used for scoring or considered to determine whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Note: Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through all of the steps in the selection procedure.
As a selected candidate for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a selected candidate. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
- Candidates for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
If you are a selected candidate, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
General Information concerning City and County of San Francisco Employment Policies and Procedures:
Important Employment Information for the City and County of San Francisco can be obtained at http://sfdhr.org/information-about-hiring-process or hard copy at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor.
Copies of Application Documents:
Applicants should keep copies of all documents submitted, as these will not be returned.
Right to Work:
All persons entering the City and County of San Francisco workforce are required to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States.
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.
Click on the link below to apply:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|