9922 Environmental Public Service Aide
Residential Toxics Reduction Associate
|Date Opened||7/2/2018 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||7/23/2018 08:00:00 AM|
|Salary||$22.34 - $22.34/hour; $3,872.00 - $3,872.00/month; $46,462.00 - $46,462.00/year|
|Job Type||Permanent Exempt|
Residential Toxics Reduction Associate
San Francisco Department of Environment
9922 – Environmental Public Service Aide
**THIS ANNOUNCEMENT WAS AMENDED ON 7/2/18 TO REFLECT AN ADDENDUM TO THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION SUBSTITUTION).**
Are you interested in helping residents adopt sound environmental practices? Do you have a passion for engaging people about sustainability issues? If so, we invite you to take advantage of an opportunity to use your skills to build a better future for San Franciscans. The San Francisco Department of Environment is recognized worldwide for its environmental policies, is a great place to work, and offers an attractive benefits package, including healthcare and retirement.
The mission of the City and County of San Francisco Department of the Environment (SF Environment) is to improve, enhance, and preserve the environment, and to promote San Francisco’s long-term environmental sustainability. SF Environment includes: Zero Waste, Toxics Reduction, Environmental Justice, Clean Air Transportation, Climate Change, Energy, Green Building, Urban Forest and Public Information Programs.
• Assist in developing programs to increase opportunities for residents to recycle/dispose of household hazardous products, including regular site visits to existing retail “take-back” partners.
• Assist in conducting outreach to residents on ways to reduce exposure to toxic chemicals through use of safer alternatives.
• Answer and research questions from the public related to use and disposal of toxic and hazardous products.
• Assist with public outreach/education efforts, including staffing special events and making public presentations; must be available to work weekend and evening events as needed.
• Assist in preparing and administering contracts and grants.
• Monitor local, state and federal legislation and regulations relating to hazardous waste management and disposal and product stewardship.
• Attend regular meetings with other local government agencies.
• Update and contribute content for SFE website.
• Perform administrative support and other duties and tasks as requested.
• In-person training with Department of Environment staff on hazardous waste disposal practices.
• 24-hour Hazardous Waste Operations and Response (HAZWOPER) certification.
• Training on public speaking and how to successfully create visually dynamic presentations.
• Compliance overview to meet all federal, state, and local regulations.
• Reading resources for general overview of precautionary principle and toxics reduction.
• Opportunity to attend workshops, conferences, and trainings to gain an understanding of general environmental education and behavior change strategies.
• Potential future classifications resulting from this internship opportunity include: 5638 Environmental Assistant.
This is a one year position. A second year may be possible contingent upon Department budget conditions and demonstrated competence and professionalism in the first year of employment. Appointment to the position does not guarantee a second year of employment nor any future employment with SF Environment or the City and County of San Francisco. In addition, the position is exempt from the Civil Service examination and selection process. The successful candidate is an at-will employee.
• Familiarity with San Francisco.
• Fluency in a second language used commonly in San Francisco.
• Experience using Microsoft Access.
• Knowledge of environmental principles and issues.
• Strong speaking, writing, researching, organizational and project management skills.
• Responsible and motivated.
• Able to work independently, and with a team of diverse colleagues.
• Word processing, spreadsheet, PowerPoint development, database, and internet proficiency.
Candidates are asked to submit a resume and brief cover letter (under 500 words) stating why the position interests you and how your skills and qualifications are a fit for the position. Please attach a single document that includes both of these items. Upload this document as a PDF or Word file, with the naming convention of “Your Name-9922Toxics”.
How To Apply
Computers are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Dept. of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.
1. Select the desired job announcement.
2. Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information.
3. Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”.
4. Follow instructions on the screen.
5. Submit your resume and cover letter as one attachment to your application (this document should be attached when the system prompts for your resume attachment; only one attachment is permitted for each applicant).
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application was received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications. Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
Please email Preston Treichel, Senior Human Resources Consultant, at Preston.Treichel@sfgov.org should you have questions about the application process. For questions regarding the status of your application or the selection process, please refer to the 'Timeline' section under the Selection Procedures heading.
The online application filing deadline will conclude at 8am on Monday, July 23rd, 2018. Due to the large volume of inquiries we receive, we are unable to give application status updates. While we are not able to reach out to every applicant, the hiring manager will contact you directly after the filing deadline if your skills and experiences are a strong match for the position.
• Candidates applying for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
• Candidates applying for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
If you are selected as a finalist, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
2. Verification: Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at http://sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=456. Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
3. Requests: Applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum eligibility requirements for this job announcement can find information on requesting a reasonable ADA Accommodation at:
Information regarding requests for Veterans Preference can be found at:
4. Applicants are advised to keep copies of all documents submitted. Submitted documents become a permanent part of the exam record and will not be returned. The hiring department may require applicants to present additional material at the time of appointment and/or at a later date.
5. For general information concerning City and County of San Francisco employment policies and procedures, please refer to this web URL: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20
6. For Right to Work policy, please refer to this web URL: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#identification
7. Terms of Announcement: Applicants must be guided solely by the provisions of this announcement, including requirements, time periods and other particulars, except when superseded by federal, state or local laws, rules or regulations. Clerical errors may be corrected by the posting the correction on the Department of Human Resources website at www.jobaps.com/sf. The terms of this announcement may be appealed under Civil Service Rule 111A.35.1. The standard for the review of such appeals is ‘abuse of discretion’ or ‘no rational basis’ for establishing the position description, the minimum qualifications and/or the certification rule. Appeals must include a written statement of the item(s) being contested and the specific reason(s) why the cited item(s) constitute(s) abuse of discretion by the Human Resources Director. Appeals must be submitted directly to the Executive Officer of the Civil Service Commission within five business days of the announcement issuance date.
EXAM TYPE: ENTRANCE
MICKI CALLAHAN, HUMAN RESOURCES DIRECTOR
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
ANNOUNCEMENT NO: PEX-9922-088047
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|