0994 Executive Director, Data Infrastructure and Systems
|Department||San Francisco Unified School District|
|Date Opened||9/28/2018 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||1/9/2019 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$129,738 - $170,720|
|Job Type||None - NON-PUBLIC|
Who We Are
The San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD) is the seventh largest school district in California, serving more than 57,000 students who speak more than 44 documented languages across 132 schools in the city of San Francisco every year. We aim for every student who attends SFUSD schools to discover his or her spark, along with a strong sense of self and purpose, and that all students graduate from high school ready for college and career, and equipped with the skills, capacities and dispositions outlined in SFUSD’s Graduate Profile. Every day in our quest to achieve this mission we provide each and every student the quality instruction and equitable support required to thrive in the 21st century.
What It Means to Work Here
Who We Want
The Executive Director will serve as the lead project manager and top authority on SFUSD's data infrastructure, systems, applications, development, and data/analytics and report to the CTO. This position will provide technical leadership, direction, responsibility, and project leadership to strengthen the foundation for SFUSD’s development into a digital district. The Executive Director will perform or oversee the majority of the SFUSD’s systems and data infrastructure lifecycle and ongoing administration functions, including needs and feasibility analysis, cost-benefit analysis, structured systems analysis and design, technology and software assessment, project planning and management, system consolidation and deployment, implementation and testing, conversion to production status, technical and procedural documentation, and collaborate on user training and support and post-implementation assessment and administration.
This individual will supervise teams responsible for managing and supporting student systems, server, business applications, and data/analytics. In addition, the Executive Director will work cross-functionally with many other departments and staff the district workgroups created to work collaboratively on systems alignment and integration and, based on the analysis completed to-date, continue to implement, develop, and improve SFUSD’s data maturity across the organization.
The 0994 Executive Director, Data Infrastructure and Systems should:
Demonstrate a Leadership Mindset
● Establish a vision and strategies for data infrastructure, systems and applications, development, and data/analytics technical teams to help SFUSD deliver on the Digital District Plan and Vision 2025.
● Develop and deliver executive presentations on status, metrics, and product roadmaps for the Department of Technology and Data Governance Steering Committee.
● Identify opportunities for improving business processes through automation; prepare proposals for the consolidation of systems to improve business process in collaboration with the appropriate district workgroups.
● Define best practices, innovate on processes, and evangelize across the team, Department of Technology, and SFUSD
● Lead strategy and implementation to migrate from SFUSD’s current state of a primarily on-premise data infrastructure to an increasingly cloud-based environment--including the Ed-Fi data infrastructure hosted in AWS-- as the long-term vision for improvements and sustainability.
● Provide technical and strategic expertise on data privacy, security, disaster recovery and identity management, and ensure that SFUSD has the appropriate policies and practices in place
Manage to Results
● Determine allocation of resources and installation schedules; prepare feasibility studies; determine operating characteristics and requirements; monitor and report progress of work for and systems upgrades.
● Assure proper planning, engineering, documentation, installation and testing of systems to meet end user requirements; manage system maintenance activities.
● Prepare budgetary cost estimates and develop project implementation proposals for the any system consolidations or upgrades, documentation and scheduling; write technical specifications and requests for proposals.
● Create work plans and monitor progress of project tasks; review staff work and train staff relating to the project work.
● Monitor and enhances departmental and cross-functional project plans to ensure goals are clear, measurable, and connected to the DoT vision; holds team accountable for meeting these goals
● Make recommendations for the allocation of Department of Technology and Digital District budget resources to achieve timely, high-quality outcomes.
● Guides and advise the Chief Technology Officer and Executive Directors in making decisions related to divisional policies and resources.
● Anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make tradeoffs, and help balance the business needs versus technical constraints.
● Actively manage and coach direct reports to drive optimal performance
● Exercise strong consultative and facilitation skills in staffing key district workgroups, working as a project manager, expert, supporter, and executor of key deliverables related to their scopes of work.
● Delegate tasks and projects to data infrastructure team members; directs team members to the tools and resources needed to meet individual goals
● Create professional development opportunities for direct reports and others in Department of Technology
● Review work of systems and data infrastructure teams and provides ongoing timely, relevant, and constructive feedback to team members, providing general coaching and supervision
● Identify and eliminate blockers and obstacles to progress and delivery on projects
● Assist in building departmental camaraderie through presentations at All-Team Meetings and Leadership Team meetings
● Work with the Project Management Office (PMO) Executive Director to lead and manage cross-departmental teams implementing Digital District projects that originate in the PMO office, but will shift over to sustained functional work under data infrastructure and systems
● Assess team bench strength, skill set and capacity in order to adjust resource plans as needed
● Serve as the lead point-of-contact to all key business application vendors (SIS, FIS, EIS, Web Properties, etc.) with support from the internal SFUSD product owners.
● Provide technical support services to other agencies and departments on existing systems as well as the upgraded systems.
● Work with other departments to develop transition plans from the existing systems to upgraded, consolidated, or migrated systems.
● Partners frequently with Chief Technology Officer, Executive Directors, and SFUSD leadership to expand on efficiency and impact of Data Governance Steering Committee, Digital District Steering Committee, and Technology Governance
● Maintain working relationships with Department of Technology, Data Governance Steering Committee members, and external partners to collaborate on high-level direction of cross-departmental and District-wide projects; represents Department of Technology during such interactions
● Drive effective teamwork, communication, collaboration and commitment across multiple disparate groups with competing priorities
● Communicate with internal teams, stakeholders and partners on a regular basis. Ensure all parties have accurate and current information.
● Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS) from an accredited college or university
● Five (5) of experience in project development or leadership with increasing responsibilities
● Master’s degree
● Senior experience (7+ years) managing 4+ managers and teams
● Senior experience (7+ years) with various devops methodologies including waterfall and agile
● Senior experience (7+ years) with global cloud-based product delivery, particularly AWS, is highly desired
● Successful leader of change in highly complex, dispersed organizations
● Advanced skills in the MS Office Suite and Google Apps
What We Offer
SFUSD offers a competitive salary of $129,738-$170,720, annually, commensurate with experience in a similar position. We offer a comprehensive benefits plan including dental and vision plans, a defined benefit pension plan, disability, life insurance, flexible spending account options and vacation time. We also offer an inclusive and equity-centered environment where we encourage staff to bring their whole selves to work.
How to Apply
● Our Human Resources team will then review your entire application to determine your eligibility status and contact you directly should you move forward in the process.
San Francisco Unified School District programs, activities, and practices shall be free from unlawful discrimination, harassment, intimidation, and bullying based on actual or perceived race, color, ancestry, national origin, ethnic group identification, age, religion, marital or parental status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or gender expression; or on the basis of a person’s association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics. This policy extends to San Francisco County Office of Education, including community school programs and activities.