0991 Manager, Data Governance
|Department||San Francisco Unified School District|
|Date Opened||11/6/2018 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||11/26/2018 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$95,550 - $130,518, annually|
|Job Type||Permanent Exempt|
0991 Manager, Data Governance
Department of Technology
Who We Are
The San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD) is the seventh largest school district in California, serving more than 57,000 students who speak more than 44 documented languages across 132 schools in the city of San Francisco every year. We aim for every student who attends SFUSD schools to discover his or her spark, along with a strong sense of self and purpose, and that all students graduate from high school ready for college and career, and equipped with the skills, capacities and dispositions outlined in SFUSD’s Graduate Profile. Every day in our quest to achieve this mission we provide each and every student the quality instruction and equitable support required to thrive in the 21st century.
What It Means to Work Here
The SFUSD community is unified by our Core Values:
● Student-centered: We put students’ needs first
● Fearless: We persist through challenges
● United: We celebrate and build on each other’s strengths
● Social Justice: We stand with those most vulnerable in our community
● Diversity-driven: We respect and seek to understand each person
We are also inspired by Vision 2025, which captures our aspirations and vision for the future of public education in San Francisco. Alongside the District’s strategic plan, Transform Learning. Transform Lives. SFUSD is reimagining how public education will change over the next decade to meet the dynamic future of San Francisco. As a CORE district, SFUSD is also a leader in critical systems change for more comprehensive school accountability and innovations that help strengthen the instructional core, which is the foundation of our strategic plan and Vision 2025.
Who We Want
We want talented people from diverse backgrounds and experiences, who are inspired by our mission steeped in equity, and who are motivated to unleash our children’s potential. We want people who are strong collaborators, skilled communicators, problem solvers and who are comfortable in a community of continuous learning.
As the 0991 Manager, Data Governance you will work on the Unified Data Systems team in the Department of Technology (DoT) and will serve as the district leader in facilitating and coordinating data governance and its related policies and practices in collaboration with other departments. We want someone who will provide experienced leadership and subject-matter expertise in data governance in a PK-12 environment with a thoughtful approach to ensuring that SFUSD student and employee data is kept secure, private and protected, of high-quality, and appropriately stewarded to help us best serve all of our students and families.
This position will be providing strategic leadership, facilitating a cross-organizational and departmental effort, providing subject matter expertise on data security, privacy, and governance, and leading change management efforts. The Manager will oversee and support the majority of the documentation, data rules and dictionary development, data governance training and support, and the creation and ongoing maintenance of SFUSD’s data governance policies and practices.
The Manager will work cross-functionally with many other departments and staff on the Unified Data Steering Committee and the Data Governance Steering Committee. Both of these committees have been created to make organizational policies and decisions, collaboratively, on the interoperability of data and governance of data across the organization. Additionally, the Manager will help supervise various contractors involved in supporting this work including, but not limited to a rules engine contractor, a project business analyst, and various technical and process consultants.
As Manager, you will:
● Serve as the lead staffer on data governance
● Exercise strong consultative and facilitation skills in staffing key district Steering Committees and workgroups, working as a project manager, expert, supporter, and executor of key deliverables related to those committees’ scopes of work
● Identify opportunities for improving data governance, security, and privacy through automation; role-based permissions (identity and access management); micro-certifications; district-wide training and support; and extensive, transparent communications with key stakeholders
● Determine allocation of resources; prepare research and studies; determine operating characteristics, business and technical requirements as related to data governance, security, and privacy; monitor and report progress of work on the development of new policies and procedures, and enhanced documentation
● Assure--in collaboration with systems’ teams--proper planning, documentation, installation and testing of systems’ privacy, security, and governance automations to meet end user requirements and assist in managing timelines and strategy related to system maintenance activities
● Prepare budgetary cost estimates and develop project implementation proposals; write technical specifications and requests for proposals
● Coordinate multi-vendor support for the resolution of any privacy, security, or governance problems related to SFUSD data
● Provide technical support services to other agencies and departments on data governance, security, and privacy, as-needed
● Work with other departments to develop a clear understanding of and regular protocols for the maintenance of data quality, security, and data privacy
● Create work plans and monitor progress of project tasks, as well as review staff work and train staff relating to the project work
● Serve as an active member and representative of SFUSD with the Ed-Fi Alliance and share our learnings regarding data privacy, security, and governance back to the Ed-Fi Alliance community
The strongest candidates will have:
● Five to seven years of experience, with at least three years at the senior level
● Success as a leader of change in highly complex, dispersed organizations
● Experience with data applications and tools commonly used in public education (Student Information Systems (Synergy experience a plus), parent portals, Employee Information Systems (SAP a plus), Financial Information Systems, Special Education systems, Pupil Service systems, etc)
● SQL server experience
● Experience in administering web-based collaborative systems like MS SharePoint or Google Apps
● Experience in implementing IAM (Identity and Access Management) practices and solutions in a large organization
● Familiarity with education and health data privacy laws (Federal and California)
● Strong background in developing data governance, security, and privacy policies and practices that are accessible to a wide variety of audiences
● Experience with or knowledge of the PK-12 education sector, especially urban and/or special education issues
● A commitment to advancing equity for all students
● Advanced skills in the MS Office Suite and Google Apps
● A Masters’ degree preferably in computer science, data science, data governance/management, administration, change management, policy, legal, or a closely related field
● Bachelor’s degree (B.A./B.S.) preferably in computer science, data science, data governance/management, administration, change management, policy, legal, or a closely related field
● Two years of experience in the information/data systems field, including project management, data governance, security, and data privacy, or directly related experience which demonstrates the knowledge and ability to supervise others, or communicate expert knowledge of current and emerging techniques to a project team, or which demonstrates the highest technical experience
● Substitution: candidates with at least two years of education may substitute experience for education on a year-for-year basis, provided the education and experience meet the requirements set out above
What We Offer
SFUSD offers a competitive salary of $95,550 - $130,518, annually, commensurate with experience in a similar position. We offer a comprehensive benefits plan including dental and vision plans, a defined benefit pension plan, disability, life insurance, flexible spending account options and vacation time. We also offer an inclusive and equity-centered environment where we encourage staff to bring their whole selves to work.
How to Apply
● Our Human Resources team will then review your entire application to determine your eligibility status and contact you directly should you move forward in the process.
Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at http://sfdhr.org/how-verify-education-requirements.
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification from this and future job opportunities with the San Francisco Unified School District.
San Francisco Unified School District programs, activities, and practices shall be free from unlawful discrimination, harassment, intimidation, and bullying based on actual or perceived race, color, ancestry, national origin, ethnic group identification, age, religion, marital or parental status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or gender expression; or on the basis of a person’s association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics. This policy extends to San Francisco County Office of Education, including community school programs and activities.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|