0953 Chief Financial Officer
|Department||Health Service System|
|Date Opened||3/5/2020 08:00:00 AM|
|Salary||$74.98 - $95.69/hour; $12,996.00 - $16,586.00/month; $155,948.00 - $199,030.00/year|
|Job Type||Permanent Exempt|
**Application Filing Period extended until 5:00 P.M. on April 17, 2020. If you have already applied, you do not need to resubmit an application.**
This is a Permanent Exempt Appointment is excluded under the Charter from the competitive Civil Service examination process.
The San Francisco Health Service Board is recruiting for a Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of the San Francisco Health Service System (SFHSS). The San Francisco Health Service System negotiates and administers benefits approved by the Health Service Board (HSB) for the over 126,000 employees and retirees of the City and County of San Francisco, the SF Unified School District, the Community College of San Francisco and the SF Superior Court, and their dependents. SFHSS executes all process phases related to benefit operations and administration. SFHSS has a benefits budget of over $950 million that is approved by the Health Service Board, and an administrative/operations budget of $12 million, that is approved by the San Francisco Board of Supervisors.
The rates and benefits are designed, negotiated and approved by the Board. SFHSS conducts requests for proposals and currently contracts with three main medical vendors with both fully-insured and self-insured plans. In addition, SFHSS provides vision, dental and voluntary benefits. SFHSS has also launched a robust Well-Being and a Data Analytics program.
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) plays an essential role in the department’s benefits planning, management and monitoring with critical city-wide cost implications; and, the benefits design evaluation, plan proposals assessment, provider selection, and provider performance monitoring.
The position is responsible for directing all accounting and fiscal, and contracting functions of the department with a high degree of technical complexity; overseeing the independent financial reporting of the Health Service System Employee Benefits Trust Fund with high dollar revenue collections (approximately $950 million annually) and high volume financial activities; calculating rates, planning, implementation and reconciliation of systems interfaces and the accuracy of results; developing the departmental budget, staffing requirements, resource allocation and coordination of future resource needs; Board-level interaction, communication with various City department management on employee benefits information requests, and representing the department in financial meetings.
The position reports to the Executive Director and is a key member of the executive staff and leadership team of SFHSS. This Permanent Exempt Appointment is excluded under the Charter from the competitive Civil Service examination process and will serve at the discretion of the Appointing Officer.
1. Participates in the executive management team to engage in strategies to ensure that healthcare and other non-pension benefits are provided at affordable and cost-effective rates.
2. Oversees fiscal, purchasing and contracts operations, supervises 9 employees. Verifies that the systems in place comply with the City’s purchasing, fiscal and contracts regulations. Manages vendor payments processed with and between the Contracts Division and Finance Operations.
3. Oversees the Contracts Division including contracting for the Health Plans, consultants and all other contracts needed to manage the Department.
4. Oversees various financial reporting needs and analyses, including year-end financials, reports regularly and ad hoc to the Health Service Board and other agencies based on special needs or inquiries. This includes: (a) timely completion of Health Service System Trust Fund independent financial and actuarial statements for audit and inclusion in CAFR (b) identifying financial reporting enhancements to facilitate decision-making; and, (c) providing cost projections.
5. Manages the development, implementation and monitoring of the SFHSS operating budgets that most effectively allocates the SFHSS resources to meet strategic goals, and performs complex, sensitive and detailed analytical work.
6. Serves as department liaison on financial and accounting issues, interacts with various City managers, and, routinely makes presentations before the Health Service Board or other Boards and Committees, as necessary. Works closely with other employer partners to ensure workflow including San Francisco Unified School Districts, City College of San Francisco and the Superior Courts.
7. Represents the department in financial and budget meetings.
8. Participates in negotiations with Health Plans, benefits design evaluation, plan proposals assessment, provider selection, and provider performance monitoring and rate calculations.
9. Serves as the primary contact with the Controller’s Office and Mayor’s Budget Office,
10. Leads, mentors and develops staff to ensure best practice; supports staff through effective problem solving.
11. Keeps abreast of local, state and federal legislation related to health care financing.
12. Responsible for energizing the Finance & Contracts Divisions and developing a collaborative culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and commitment to high quality, efficiency and employee engagement.
13. Responsible for records management for the department including all agreement, contracts, business documents, emails, communications and historical records in compliance with California records retention rules. Leads the Department to paperless organization.
14. Responsible for the facilities management which includes lease negotiations.
15. Performs other duties as required.
Education: Possession of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university in Accounting, Finance or Business administration, AND
Experience: Five (5) years of professional managerial experience in finance and budget in a governmental or large organization, all of which must include supervisory experience with responsibility for the direction and evaluation of subordinate professional staff;
Substitution: Additional experience as described above may be substituted for the required degree on a year for year basis, up to a maximum of two (2) years. Thirty (30) semester units or forty-five (45) quarter units equal one (1) year.
Applicants must meet the minimum qualification requirement by the final filing date unless otherwise noted.
The Ideal Candidate:
The ideal candidate for this position is an excellent manager with the experience and desire to collaborate with department staff and leadership along with numerous stakeholders including Health Service Board, Mayor’s Office, Board of Supervisors as well as our significant active, and retired members.
This ideal candidate would have:
1. Familiarity with the City and County of San Francisco’s budget process, financial management practices and contracting requirements.
2. Familiarity with preparing financial statements and working with external auditors and actuaries.
3. Strong analytical skills, including working knowledge of Oracle Peoplesoft.
4. Knowledge of and ability to ensure compliance with all relevant laws, regulations and policies.
5. Experience with procurement, contract compliance and procurement best practices.
6. Experience with records management, data security and responding to public information requests.
7. Ability and experience to manage competing priories, meet deadlines and have the willingness to learn.
8. Have strong verbal and written communication skills and experience interacting effectively with policy makers.
9. Deep experience developing, managing and reporting on trust and operating budgets.
10. Strong analytical skills with experience gathering and evaluating complex data and performing multi-year projections for both revenue and expense.
11. Experience with health care financing.
How To Apply
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
Select the desired job announcement.
Select "Apply" and read and acknowledge the information.
Select either "I am a New User" if you have not previously registered, or "I have Registered Previously."
Follow instructions on the screen.
Computers are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Dept. of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org, @famsf.org, @ccsf.edu).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact Christine Salam, by telephone at 415-557-4881, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only those candidates who most closely meet the needs of the Department will be invited to continue in the selection process. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed to advance through all of the steps in the selection process.
Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process, prior to being appointed into the position. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at http://sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=456. Employment verification letters should be in the company letterhead, stating the inclusive dates of service and positions held as it relates to the qualifying experience required to be considered for the position.
The selected applicant will need to verify qualifying education and/or experience prior to being appointed into the position.
Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
As a selected candidate for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a selected candidate. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
- Candidates for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
If you are a selected candidate, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
Applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum eligibility requirements for this job announcement can find information on requesting a reasonable ADA Accommodation at: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#applicantswithdisabilities.
GENERAL INFORMATION CONCERNING CITY AND COUNTY OF SAN FRANCISCO EMPLOYMENT POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Important Employment Information for the City and County of San Francisco can be obtained at http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20 or hard copy at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor.
COPIES OF APPLICATION DOCUMENTS
Applicants are encouraged to keep copies of all documents submitted. Submitted documents become a permanent part of the exam records and will not be returned. The hiring department may require applicants to submit the same documents and/or additional documents at a later date.
RIGHT TO WORK
All persons entering the City and County of San Francisco workforce are required to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States.
Human Resources Director
Department of Human Resources
Recruitment ID Number: PEX-0953-104488
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|