0931 Manager III - Assistant Director of Purchasing
Office of Contract Administration
|Department||General Services Agency|
|Date Opened||9/6/2018 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||9/19/2018 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$120,588.00 - $153,920.00/year|
|Job Type||Permanent Exempt|
APPOINTMENT TYPE: Permanent Exempt (PEX), this position is excluded by the Charter from the competitive Civil Service examination process and shall serve at the discretion of the Appointing Officer.
The Purchasing Division of the Office of Contract Administration (OCA) supports the procurement of materials, supplies, equipment and services that are essential to providing government services to the citizens of San Francisco.
The 0931 Assistant Director is one of two assistant directors for the Purchasing Division at the Office of Contract Administration (OCA). Under general administrative direction, the Assistant Director is responsible for a portion of the operational functions and activities within the OCA. In this capacity, the Assistant Director will play a significant role in monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness and efficiency of OCA’s service delivery systems, organization structure, staffing levels, financial systems, and other internal operations. The Assistant Director will also identify and recommend alternative approaches or improvements to the City’s procurement processes and assist in the corresponding implementation and creation of revised policies and procedures in support of those changes.
- Exercises considerable independence, discretion, and judgment in managing the day-to-day operations of the OCA including overseeing the City’s contracting processes, compliance with legal requirements and ordinances, resolving vendor protests, and providing timely customer service.
- Administer and monitor the activities of the IT Purchasing Unit of the OCA and suggest process improvement to facilitate the City’s procurement in this area.
- Develops, implements, and maintains purchasing procedures, administrative/monitoring practices and controls in order to obtain smooth and effective citywide procurement processes.
- Assists in the development and implementation of OCA goals, objectives, policies and priorities, and assist in the determination of resource allocation and levels of service.
- Trains OCA staff and helps to establish ongoing training mechanisms for City departments to ensure compliance with City regulations and provide fair and open competition for all suppliers.
- Collaborate with management and other City leaders to conduct comprehensive technical and financial studies of commodities and services used by City departments to identify opportunities for cost savings and/or procurement efficiencies.
- Collaborate with management and City leaders to establish periodic business review meetings regarding commodity trends which will entail the collection, review, and analysis of citywide procurement data and the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual reports.
- Communicates and provides advice on policy and procedures to City departments.
- Meets, confers, and negotiates with high level City managers and corporate executives.
- Communicates with department heads and their designees to develop strong relationships in resolving difficult and complex issues.
- Achieves significant cost savings through competitive bidding and/or by exercising various other strategic sourcing methodologies.
- Minimize risks and financial loss to the City resulting from contract lawsuits, delays or non-delivery of services.
- Maintains the public trust by ensuring the City’s procurements are conducted in an ethical and transparent manner in which suppliers, the public, and elected officials have confidence.
- In conjunction with the Controller’s Office, develop comprehensive post-audit processes of all City departments to ensure compliance with City requirements.
- Acts for the Director and/or the other Assistant Director in their absence.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in public or business administration, management, or a related field; AND
2. Five (5) years of full-time professional experience in implementing agency programs, policies and procedures, the experience must include three (3) years of experience supervising professional staff engaged in the aforementioned work.
SUBSTITUTION: Progressively responsible professional experience in procurement, purchasing, contracts and/or public administration may be substituted for education on a year for year basis; OR
Possession of a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in Public or Business Administration, Management, or a related field may be substituted for one (1) year of the required experience.
VERIFICATION: Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point in the application and/or departmental selection process. Written verification (proof) of qualifying experience must verify that the applicant meets the minimum qualifications stated on the announcement. Written verification must be submitted on employer’s official letterhead, specifying name of employee, dates of employment, types of employment (part-time/full-time), job title(s), description of duties performed, and the verification must be signed by the employer. City employees will receive credit for the duties of the class to which they are appointed. Credit for experience obtained outside of the employee’s class will be allowed only if recorded in accordance with the provisions of the Civil Service Commission Rules. Experience claimed in self-employment must be supported by documents verifying income, earnings, business license and experience comparable to the minimum qualifications of the position. Copies of income tax papers or other documents listing occupations and total earnings must be submitted. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at http://sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=456.
NOTE: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
How To Apply
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
- Select the desired job announcement
- Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
- Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”
- Follow instructions on the screen
Submission of a resume and cover letter is REQUIRED at the time of filing and must be attached to the online application. The cover letter must highlight your experience in implementing agency programs, policies and procedures. The cover letter should also include a statement about why you are interested in the position and why you believe you are the ideal candidate for this role. Late or incomplete submissions will not be considered. Mailed, hand delivered or faxed documents/applications will not be accepted.
1. To submit a COVER LETTER using the online application:
- Select the “Resume” tab in the online application
- Follow instructions given on screen
2. To submit a RESUME using the online application:
- Select the “Resume” tab in the online application
- Follow instructions given on screen
Computers are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Dept. of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores. If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact the analyst at (415) 554-6000.
Applications will be screened for relevant qualifying experience. Additional screening mechanisms may be implemented in order to determine candidates’ qualifications. Only those applicants who most closely meet the needs of the Agency will be invited to participate in the selection process. Applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement to the interview. Qualified applicants with disabilities requiring reasonable accommodation in the selection process must contact the Agency by phone at (415) 554-6000 or, if hearing impaired at (415) 554-6015 (TTY).
THE CITY AND COUNTY OF SAN FRANCISCO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. MINORITIES, WOMEN AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
As a finalist for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a finalist. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
- Candidates applying for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates applying for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
If you are selected as a finalist, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
General Information concerning City and County of San Francisco Employment Policies and Procedures: Important Employment Information for the City and County of San Francisco can be obtained at http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20 or hard copy at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor.
Copies of Application Documents: Applicants should keep copies of all documents submitted, as these will not be returned.
Right to Work: All persons entering the City and County of San Francisco workforce are required to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States.
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|