5640 Environmental Specialist
Environment Now Outreach Coordinator
|Date Opened||10/9/2018 10:30:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||11/5/2018 08:00:00 AM|
|Salary||$39.16 - $47.60/hour; $6,788.00 - $8,251.00/month; $81,458.00 - $99,008.00/year|
|Job Type||Permanent PBT|
Environment Now Outreach Coordinator (2 vacancies)
San Francisco Department of Environment
5640 – Environmental Specialist
**This is a position-based test conducted in accordance with CSC Rule 111A.**
The mission of the City and County of San Francisco Department of the Environment (SF Environment) is to improve, enhance, and preserve the environment, and to promote San Francisco’s long-term environmental sustainability. SF Environment includes: Zero Waste, Toxics Reduction, Environmental Justice, Clean Air Transportation, Climate Change, Energy, Green Building, Urban Forest and Public Information Programs.
(1) The coordinator develops Environment Now employees’ public engagement competencies by designing and facilitating trainings in eco-literacy, sales, customer service, data management and other program-based scopes such as Zero Waste and Toxics Reduction.(2) In coordination with the Senior Environmental Specialist, the Environmental Specialist designs, coordinates and evaluates grassroots community engagement and compliance projects to meet desired outcomes.
Supervises staff, including Class 9922 & 9920 training positions.
• Supervise, coach, and develop a diverse, multi-lingual team of up to eleven employees, including assigning work and schedules, conducting performance reviews, and recommending hiring and discipline for employees
• Implement and measure grassroots behavior change initiatives for San Francisco residents and businesses including tactics such as door-to-door outreach, community presentations, tabling, and technical trainings
• Deliver public presentations and trainings to promote departmental initiatives and compliance with City & County of San Francisco environmental policies
• Act as liaison with community residents, business representatives, community organizations, and city agencies for the planning/execution of events and other initiatives, as needed
• Analyze & evaluate public engagement efforts to inform strategies & planning
• Write campaign and project reports and present findings to relevant stakeholders, as assigned
• Work a flexible schedule with varying hours, as needed for department initiatives and campaigns (mandatory)
• Regularly attend city functions on behalf of the department as directed by Senior Environmental Specialist
• Experience implementing behavior change programming
• Experience in communications, specifically grassroots outreach and community engagement
• Familiarity with San Francisco neighborhoods and supervisorial districts
• Fluency in Chinese, Spanish or other language commonly spoken in San Francisco
• Knowledge of governmental structure and operations
• Possession of a valid driver license
• Culturally-competent public outreach and community engagement methods/programs
• Quantitative and qualitative data analysis and reporting
• Zero Waste, Toxics Reduction, and Sustainable Transportation programming
• Coordinate projects with multiple partners & staff
• Train, develop, and supervise staff
• Communicate effectively, in both oral and written format
• Deliver presentations, table at events, perform door-to-door outreach
• Use spreadsheet and CRM software
The stated desirable qualifications may be used to identify job finalists at the end of the selection process when candidates are referred for hiring. Applicants must meet the minimum qualification requirement by the final filing date, unless otherwise noted.
Candidates are requested to submit a resume and cover letter and attach it as one combined file to their application. Upload this document as a PDF or Word file, with the naming convention of “YourName-5640EnvNowOutreach”.
How To Apply
Computers are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Dept. of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.
1. Select the desired job announcement.
2. Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information.
3. Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”.
4. Follow instructions on the screen.
5. Submit your resume and cover letter (in one combined file) as an attachment to your application.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application was received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications. Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
Please email Preston Treichel, Senior Human Resources Consultant, at Preston.Treichel@sfgov.org should you have questions about the application process. For questions regarding the status of your application or the selection process, please refer to the 'Timeline' section under the Selection Procedures heading.
Applicants will be prompted to complete a Supplemental Questionnaire as part of the online application process. All applicants must complete the Supplemental Questionnaire and it must be submitted with the application before the final filing deadline. The information provided on the Supplemental Questionnaire must be consistent with the information on the application and is subject to verification. Applicant responses to the Supplemental Questionnaire will be used to assist in determining if you meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
The Supplemental Questionnaire Evaluation is also designed to measure knowledge, skills, and/or abilities in job-related areas as described within this announcement. Once submitted, applicant responses on the Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be changed. Applicants must achieve a passing score on the Supplemental Questionnaire Evaluation in order to be invited to the oral examination.
Oral/Performance Examination (Weighted 59%):
Candidates who successfully pass the supplemental questionnaire evaluation will be invited to participate in an oral examination to assess their knowledge, skills and abilities in job-related areas as described in this announcement. Job-related written and performance exercises may be included. Candidates must achieve a passing score on the oral/performance examination in order to be ranked on the eligible list.
After the eligible list is finalized/adopted, the department may administer additional selection procedures to make a final hiring decision (e.g. interviews, written exercise, etc.). Applicants meeting the Minimum Qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through all steps of the selection process.
The certification rule for the eligible list resulting from this examination will be Rule of Three (3) Scores. Additional selection processes may be conducted by the hiring department prior to making final hiring decisions.
A confidential eligible list of applicant names that have passed the civil service examination process will be created, and used for certification purposes only. An examination score report will be established, so applicants can view the ranks, final scores and number of eligible candidates. Applicant information, including names of applicants on the eligible list, shall not be made public unless required by law. However, an eligible list shall be made available for public inspection, upon request, once the eligible list is exhausted or expired and referrals resolved. The eligible list/score report resulting from this civil service examination process is subject to change after adoption (e.g., as a result of appeals), as directed by the Human Resources Director or the Civil Service Commission.
The duration of the eligible list resulting from this examination process will be 6 months, and may be extended with the approval of the Human Resources Director.
Upon approval of the Human Resource Director (see Civil Service Rule 111A.26.5), the eligible list/score report resulting from this announcement may be used by other departments that also use this classification or a similar classification. To find other Departments which use this classification, please see: https://sfdhr.org/sites/default/files/documents/ASO-Level-Chart.pdf?documentID=21246.
• Candidates applying for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
• Candidates applying for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
If you are selected as a finalist, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
2. Verification: Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at http://sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=456. Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
3. Requests: Applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum eligibility requirements for this job announcement can find information on requesting a reasonable ADA Accommodation at:
Information regarding requests for Veterans Preference can be found at:
Seniority Credit in Promotional Exams
4. Applicants are advised to keep copies of all documents submitted. Submitted documents become a permanent part of the exam record and will not be returned. The hiring department may require applicants to present additional material at the time of appointment and/or at a later date.
5. For general information concerning City and County of San Francisco employment policies and procedures, please refer to this web URL: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20
6. For Right to Work policy, please refer to this web URL: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#identification
7. Terms of Announcement: Applicants must be guided solely by the provisions of this announcement, including requirements, time periods and other particulars, except when superseded by federal, state or local laws, rules or regulations. Clerical errors may be corrected by the posting the correction on the Department of Human Resources website at www.jobaps.com/sf. The terms of this announcement may be appealed under Civil Service Rule 111A.35.1. The standard for the review of such appeals is ‘abuse of discretion’ or ‘no rational basis’ for establishing the position description, the minimum qualifications and/or the certification rule. Appeals must include a written statement of the item(s) being contested and the specific reason(s) why the cited item(s) constitute(s) abuse of discretion by the Human Resources Director. Appeals must be submitted directly to the Executive Officer of the Civil Service Commission within five business days of the announcement issuance date.
EXAM TYPE: ENTRANCE/PROMO
MICKI CALLAHAN, HUMAN RESOURCES DIRECTOR
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
ANNOUNCEMENT NO: PBT-5640-089866
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|