1662 Patient Accounts Assistant Supervisor
|Date Opened||6/22/2018 08:00:00 AM|
|Salary||$70,902.00 - $86,242.00/year|
|Job Type||Permanent PBT|
1662 Patient Accounts Assistant Supervisor
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
**Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately as this recruitment may close at any time, but not earlier than July 6, 2018.**
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION:
The San Francisco Department of Public Health (SFDPH) is accepting applications for two (2) full-time permanent civil service positions in Class 1662 Patient Accounts Assistant Supervisor.
The Patient Accounts Assistant Supervisor provides immediate support to staff involved in processing and/or following-up on claims for reimbursement, and/or posting and balancing payments to patient account levels. It also involves reviewing work of subordinates for complete documentation as required for claims processing, and daily cash collection balancing. The Assistant Supervisor not only troubleshoots issues as they arise, but also performs supervisory related duties such as preparing unit's daily updates, employee productivity reports, daily cash collection balancing, problem-solve issues with other DPH partnering departments, and other duties as assigned by Supervisor and/or Senior Management.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES: The essential job functions include the following:
- Provides immediate supervision to a staff involved in processing claims for reimbursement: reviews work of subordinates for complete documentation as required for claims processing; resolves problems in cases assigned to unit: performs related duties such as preparing, employee production reports and payroll, and screening and distributing mail.
- Monitors Refund Desk to ensure accurate and timely release of Accounts Payables.
- Using computer reports to identify problem areas, monitors accounts assigned to billing clerks in order to ascertain timely processing; monitors pending medical bills for completeness; monitors exception report printout listing accounts for correct coding.
- Prepares and resolves supplemental transactions and other payment transfers from other City and County of San Francisco (CCSF) partnering departments.
- Provides support in creating spreadsheet formats for daily cash collection/lock box balancing and reconciliation process.
- Coordinates cash related issues with General Accounting and other DPH departments.
- Assists in implementing new procedures when State and Federal laws governing reimbursement changes interprets relevant Medi-Cal and Medicare regulations; enforces existing business office procedures for claims processing.
- Assists patients with forms and questions; assists in all incoming calls or correspondence relating, to third party payor inquiries, contacts patients or Department of Social Services for verification of Medi-Cal status contacts auxiliary departments concerning, problems involving, documentation required for billing.
- Assists supervisor in preparing reports.
- Handles Patient Accounts Supervisor's responsibilities in his or her absence.
The 1662 Patient Accounts Assistant Supervisor also performs other related duties as assigned.
- Two (2) years (equivalent to 4,000 hours) of experience billing and/or collecting medical claims from Medi-Cal (Medicaid), Medicare, third party payors, and individual payors in an acute care facility, a hospital consulting firm, a large insurance company or a skilled nursing facility; AND
- Six (6) months (equivalent to 1,000 hours) of experience or equivalent training in preparation of input data for a computer.
Applicants must meet the minimum qualification requirement by the final filing date unless otherwise noted.
Desirable Qualifications: The stated desirable qualifications listed below may be used to identify job finalists at the end of the selection process when candidates are referred for hiring.
- One (1) year of lead/supervisory experience performing patient accounting related duties.
- One (1) year of experience billing and/or collecting medical claims for a hospital.
- One (1) year of bookkeeping experience.
- Experience working with EPIC electronic health record system.
- Willingness to uphold/abide by ZSFG’s ICARE (I-Introduce, C-Connect, A-Ask, R-Respond, E-Exit) philosophy for employee and patient interactions: https://zuckerbergsanfranciscogeneral.org/about-us/
Verification of Experience: http://sfdhr.org/getting-job#verification
Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process.
Verification of Education: If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at http://sfdhr.org/how-verify-education-requirements
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
How To Apply
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
- Select the desired job announcement
- Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
- Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”
- Follow instructions on the screen
Computers are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Dept. of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
If you have any questions regarding the recruitment or application process, please contact the exam analyst, Katelynn Luong, at (415) 554-2920 or email: Katelynn.Luong@sfdph.org.
Supplemental Questionnaire (Weight 100%)
Applicants will be prompted to complete a Supplemental Questionnaire during the online application process. Supplemental Questionnaire will be evaluated in relation to the knowledge, skills and abilities required for class 1662 Patient Accounts Assistant Supervisor. This may include, but is not limited to: knowledge of medical claims processing procedures, including complex Federal Medicare, State Medicaid/Medi-Cal and Universal Billing Forms regulations applicable to hospital and mental health billing; knowledge of the basic principles of accounts receivable, including posting of payments and application of adjustments; knowledge of the the basic principles of electronic data processing; knowledge of billing and collections methods and procedures; supervisory ability; interpersonal/collaborative ability; written communication ability; and computer ability.
Candidates will be placed on the eligible list in rank order according to their final score.
Certification Rule: The certification rule used for the eligible list resulting from this selection procedure will be Rule of Three Scores. Additional position-specific selection mechanisms may be conducted by the hiring department prior to making final hiring decisions.
Eligible List: The eligible list resulting from this examination is subject to change after adoption (e.g., as a result of appeals), as directed by the Human Resources Director or Civil Service Commission. Information can be found at: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#eligiblelists
The duration of the eligible list resulting from this examination process will be six (6) months, and may be extended with the approval of the Human Resources Director.
As a finalist for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a finalist. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
- Candidates for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
If you are selected as a finalist, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
All City and County of San Francisco employees are designated Disaster Service Workers through state and local law (California Government Code Section 3100-3109). Employment with the City requires the affirmation of a loyalty oath to this effect. Employees are required to complete all Disaster Service Worker-related training as assigned, and to return to work as ordered in the event of an emergency.
Note on Electronic Health Record (EHR): The Department of Public Health (DPH) is implementing a unified Electronic Health Record (EHR) system and DPH employees must demonstrate competency in the use of the system that is appropriate for their classification as a condition of employment.
Note on Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): Some positions in the Department of Public Health will require the use of personal protective equipment (PPE), including but not limited to gloves, gowns, eye and face protection, and face-fitting respirators. The requirement for the use of PPE may come on short or no notice. Facial hair or any condition that interferes with a face-fitting respirator’s seal (i.e. comes between the sealing surfaces of the respirator and the wearer’s bare skin) is not permitted when face-fitting respirators are worn, including during initial or periodic respirator fit-testing.
Employees who choose not to shave and do not have either American Disabilities Act (ADA) or Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Accommodations do not have the right to alternate work assignments or the option of using a loose-fitting Powered Air Purifying Respirator (PAPR) in place of a FaceFitting Respirator.
Medical Examination/Drug Testing:
Prior to appointment, at the Department's expense, applicants may be required to take a tuberculosis (TB) screening test, a medical examination and/or drug test.
Terms of Announcement:
Applicants must be guided solely by the provisions of this announcement, including requirements, time periods and other particulars, except when superseded by federal, state or local laws, rules or regulations. Clerical errors may be corrected by the posting of the correction on the Department of Human Resources website at www.jobaps.com/sf.
The terms of this announcement may be appealed under Civil Service Rule 111A.35.1. The standard for the review of such appeals is ‘abuse of discretion’ or ‘no rational basis’ for establishing the position description, the minimum qualifications and/or the certification rule. Appeals must include a written statement of the item(s) being contested and the specific reason(s) why the cited item(s) constitute(s) abuse of discretion by the Human Resources Director. Appeals must be submitted directly to the Executive Officer of the Civil Service Commission within five business days of the announcement issuance date.
General Information concerning City and County of San Francisco Employment Policies and Procedures can be found at: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20
Copies of Application Documents: http://sfdhr.org/getting-job#copies
Right to Work: http://sfdhr.org/getting-job#identification
Information on requesting a reasonable ADA Accommodation: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#applicantswithdisabilities
Information regarding requests for Veterans Preference can be found at:
Information regarding Seniority Credit can be found at:
Exam Type: CPE
Issued: June 22, 2018
Human Resources Director
Department of Human Resources
Recruitment No.: PBT-1662-085617
DPH / KL / (415) 554-2920
DHR Pos. No.: 01111687
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|