We are currently accepting applications for this position.
To apply, click here to close this window and view the list of open jobs for this job class.
$51.64-$64.96 Hourly / $8,951.00-$11,260.00 Monthly / $107,406.00-$135,122.00 Yearly
According to Civil Service Commission Rule 109, the duties specified below are representative of the range of duties assigned to this job code/class and are not intended to be an inclusive list.
1. Identify opportunities for improving business processes through automation; assist in the preparation of proposals to develop new systems.
2. Analyze data processing needs; research and evaluate software on multiple platforms to assist users to meet their departmental goals; assist in developing the evaluation criteria for software.
3. Determine operating characteristics and requirements; develop or modify and document general system design; write detailed design specifications; conduct "walkthroughs" for proposed solutions to system problems.
4. Analyze the feasibility of and develop requirements for new systems and enhancements to existing systems; ensure the system design fits the needs of the users.
5. May install and enhance software; program, test, debug and install new/modified programs.
6. Provide technical support for computer and telecommunications systems.
7. Consult on the analysis of an application; troubleshoot system problems; implement solutions.
8. Conduct system analysis and may conduct programming activities for complex systems; document new and modified systems and programs; coordinate user training in new capabilities; mav convert new programming from test to production.
9. Interface with users to determine system needs and requirements; instruct users on newly implemented systems; define system requirements; may design and code programs; review impact of system modifications on existing systems.
10. Prepare, or assist client in preparing, service requests to implement system changes; determine level of effort required and the cost of implementing service requests; prioritize requests.
11. May provide technical production support for on-line and batch systems; assist with set processing schedule; update and produce reports.
12. Coordinate with outside vendors and contractors to complete projects and service requests; define, assign and evaluate their work.
13. May determine structure of databases; normalize data; perform conversion of data between platforms; design, develop and generate routine and ad hoc reports in response to user needs.
14. Determine security levels for systems to ensure data integrity; test database applications to assure functionality and effectiveness in performing to desired specifications.
Knowledge of: Requirements installation procedures, hardware, software and maintenance of systems; electronic data processing methods; interactive or macro-based applications; functional requirements, structured systems or procedures analysis; personal computer applications development tools; system analysis and design; coding, testing and implementing complex programs; script/procedure languages; common operating systems software and relational database systems; network environments.
Ability and Skill to: Communicate effectively both orally and in writing; establish and maintain good working relations with department personnel, staff, vendors, peers, and management; understand and learn a variety of business procedures and processes; use logic and analysis to solve computer and systems problems; translate functional requirements into systems specifications; analyze data and information using established criteria, in order to determine consequences and to identify and select alternatives; advise and provide interpretation to others how to apply policies, procedures and standards to specific situations; exercise decisiveness and creativity required in situations involving the evaluation of information against judgmental criteria; read and understand professional journals and literature; prioritize competing requests for service.
These minimum qualifications establish the education, training, experience, special skills and/or license(s) which are required for employment in the classification. Please note, additional qualifications (i.e., special conditions) may apply to a particular position and will be stated on the exam/job announcement.
An associate degree in computer science or a closely related field from an accredited college or university OR its equivalent in terms of total course credits/units [i.e., at least sixty (60) semester or ninety (90) quarter credits/units with a minimum of twenty (20) semester or thirty (30) quarter credits/units in computer science or a closely-related field].
Three (3) years in the information systems field, including system analysis, business process design, development and implementation of business application solutions or IT project management.
License and Certification:
Additional experience as described above may be substituted for the required degree on a year-for-year basis (up to a maximum of two (2) years). One (1) year is equivalent to thirty (30) semester units / forty-five (45) quarter units with a minimum of 10 semester / 15 quarter units in computer science or a closely related field.