Under direction, to provide end user technical support and training, including performing help desk functions involving the installation, configuration, troubleshooting and support of desktop and laptop hardware, software, operating systems, printers and peripherals; and to do other work as required.
This is the expert level class in the IT support services series. Incumbents perform duties of the highest level of complexity and difficulty, with the greatest scope and impact. Incumbents serve as an expert technical resource, act as mentors, and may lead the work of assigned staff. Incumbents use advanced leadership and technical skills to provide a variety of support services. Errors in judgment regarding business or technical decisions may result in significant exposure.
Thorough knowledge of:
- The methods and techniques used in the installation, configuration, support and troubleshooting of relevant operating systems, software applications, hardware and peripherals.
- Methods to analyze and recommend business solutions to meet customers’ needs and requirements.
- Commonly and/or locally used operating systems, software applications and hardware. Working
- Network concepts and network administration.
- The principles, practices and methods of project management.
- The principles, practices and methods of training and mentoring.
Some knowledge of:
- The methods and techniques of developing and monitoring project budgets.
- The principles, practices and methods of supervision.
- Develop innovative solutions to meeting customers’ needs.
- Demonstrate strong business process and project management skills, including setting goals and priorities, increasing efficiency.
- Demonstrate detailed understanding of customers’ needs and business practices.
- Analyze information effectively.
- Conduct research on complex problems, identify possible solutions and select and implement the best solution.
- Develop and apply operational policies and procedures appropriately to meet customers’ needs.
- Use good judgment and work with minimal direction.
- Identify and solve basic networking problems.
- Work independently in local and/or remote locations.
- Prioritize multiple tasks.
- Explain computing concepts to technical and non-technical staff.
- Provide technical training (one-on-one, small group, and formal presentations).
- Independently install and troubleshoot local software applications, hardware, and peripherals at the desktop level.
- Learn new software applications.
- Keep current on new and advancing technology and practices in business automation and technology interconnectivity.
- Provide customer service.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Manage projects, including creating and managing project plans, schedules, resource allocations and risk concepts.
- Work cooperatively and effectively with other staff members, customers and vendors.
- Lift equipment weighing up to 40 pounds.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of training and experience which would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in a computer related field and five years of experience performing both technical support and training.
Five years of experience performing both general technical support and training, which included level I support for two or more relevant enterprise level applications.
Seven years of experience performing both technical support and training. At least two years of qualifying experience must have been at the advanced journey or lead level.
Background Investigation: Some positions may require fingerprinting and/or background investigation.
License: Possession and maintenance of a California Class C Driver License.
Physical Requirements: The ability to lift equipment weighing up to forty pounds.
Other Special Requirements: Availability to work irregular hours, which may include evenings, nights, weekends and holidays.
Previous Class Titles: None.
Bargaining Unit: 41
Worker’s Comp Code: 0053
EEOC Code: 02
Occupational Unit Group: 84