· Serve as a lifeguard at a swimming facility;
· Maintain close surveillance over swimming activities;
· Enforce water safety rules and regulations; perform rescues;
· Perform first aid and resuscitation;
· Maintain pool deck and adjacent areas such as locker rooms;
· Notify supervisor of emergencies, disturbances or problems;
· Prepare routine records and reports;
· Instruct or assist in instruction of recreational aquatics classes;
· Set up and tear down of accommodations for special events, programs, and facility rentals;
· Required to open and close swimming facilities;
· Provide customer service;
· Cashier; and
· Other duties assigned.
Working knowledge of:
Some knowledge of:
Lifeguard and Instructors:
Possession of a valid American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Certificate and a valid CPR Certificate.*
*Acceptable Lifeguard and CPR Certifications include:
American Red Cross Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED
American Red Cross Lifeguarding/First Aid
The American Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer.
The American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) for the Healthcare provider.
The American Red Cross CPR – AED for Lifeguards
Post-employment certifications required within six months of hire:
American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor (WSI)
2. Attain of one of the following:
· First Aid for Public Safety Personnel (Title 22)
· ARC Emergency Responder
· First Responder or
· Emergency Medical Technician (EMT).
Fingerprinting is required for persons 18 and older.
Special Working Conditions:
Exposure to variable temperatures and weather conditions; strong and unpleasant odors and fumes such as chlorine; noise from children; allergens such as, pollen, and insect stings and bites; pool chemical fluctuations which might cause irritation to eyes and skin; and the possibility of administering first aid and resultant exposure to infections which could cause chronic disease or death.
Bargaining Unit: 41
EEOC Job Category: 05
Occupational Grouping: 90
Workers' Comp Code: 1160