|Department||Tourism and Recreation Department|
|Date Opened||5/24/2022 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||6/10/2022 11:59:00 PM|
|Full or Part Time||
Planning & GIS Information System Management Technician
The Oklahoma Tourism and Recreation Department’s (OTRD) mission is to advance the exceptional quality of life in Oklahoma by preserving, maintaining, and promoting our natural assets and cultural amenities. OTRD is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
OTRD is seeking a full-time Planning & GIS Information System Management Technician for the Oklahoma Tourism and Recreation Department in Oklahoma City, OK. OTRD provides matching contributions to employees’ retirement plans, 11 holidays, and 15 days of annual and sick leave a year. OTRD also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including a benefit allowance to offset the cost of insurance premiums for employees and their eligible dependents. The salary range for this position is $50,000-$60,000.
This position is assigned responsibilities involving planning, developing, and coordinating various Agency programs and providing technical assistance to governmental and private organizations involved in the preparation and implementation of Agency planning and information programs. Coordinates programs designed for the purpose of educating managers, developing plans, and providing geographically based resource and development information to ultimately save money and operate agency facilities more efficiently.
• Oversees day to day operation of the sections within the HR team to meet goals and projections as administered by the agency
• Plans, coordinates, and supervises the development, assembly, and analysis of geographic information system (GIS) data and spatial information relating to the identification of various needs and establishment of program priorities. Studies, designs, develops, and implements the GIS systems, database, and programs.
• Coordinates the digital collection of data and other information related to State Park Capital Improvement needs and provides reports and analysis for decisions related to capital improvements.
• Provides technical planning assistance to state parks, organizations and others involving the initiation and continuation of comprehensive planning programs; provides technical assistance to governmental entities and non-profit organizations relative to specific planning- related problems and issues.
• Reviews and analyzes data on physical conditions, trends, resources, utilities, energy, and social and economic factors, which pertain to the planning function; prepares difficult and complex reports and recommends planning-related actions.
• Develops and assists with implementation of agency-wide energy conservation programs to reduce energy consumption and related energy costs.
• Assists Park managers with construction and environmental permitting processes for capital improvement projects and educates park managers about these processes.
• Meets with groups and officials to explain the purpose and functions of planning, the content of planning pro rams and the goals of the agency for a specific program. Meets with park managers and other groups to assist with preparing materials needed for various projects.
• Reviews technical reports, studies and other documents and data to develop programs desired by the Agency.
• Assists with promoting planning groups; the procurement, selection, and coordination of planning consultants and specialists for special planning work, or studies, prepares technical manuals, writes professional and technical planning reports and papers; develops related correspondence.
• Advises and assists state and other officials in establishing goals, priorities, programs, organizations, regulations, and procedures in certain areas such as land use, facility use and development, public utilities, public safety, health, environmental pollution control, park and recreation uses, and energy and resource management.
• Identifies grant opportunities and prepares grant applications.
• Develops site designs and layouts for various facilities and reviews work products designed or developed by various consultants.
• May supervise other staff in the performance of services and tasks.
• Other duties as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Trustworthy with confidential information demonstrating tact, discretion, and a high level of personal and professional integrity
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of regional and statewide comprehensive planning; of industrial and labor conditions within the state; of socioeconomic factors involved in statewide planning; of public administration principles and practices; of types and sources of statistical data pertaining to the labor market and of effective methods of obtaining such data; of charting; of supervisory principles and practices; of the principles of project management; and of state and federal laws pertaining to urban and regional planning and administration procedures related to local planning assistance.
• Ability is required to define planning-related needs and problems and to formulate appropriate recommendations.
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; to prepare and review complex planning reports and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
Bachelor's degree in geographic information systems, geography, regional and city planning, cartography, park and recreation administration, natural resources, computer science, engineering, environmental science, business administration or a closely related field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience, substituting one year of technical experience in GIS systems work for each year of the required education.
Experience with ArcGIS/ESRl (Environmental Systems and Research Institute) mapping software.
Experience with Trimble/GPS (Geographic Position System) data collectors.
Experience with AutoCAD computer aided drafting software.
Experience with Microsoft Access, Word, and Excel.
Applicants must be willing and able to fulfill all job-related travel normally associated with the position.
All applicants tentatively selected for this position will be required to submit to a background check.