|Department||Department of Veterans Affairs|
|Date Opened||5/19/2022 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||5/24/2022 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||Listed in Announcement|
|Full or Part Time||
Food Service Specialist II
Hourly $13.07 Annual salary $27,176.19
• Generous benefits allowance to off-set insurance costs
• Flexible spending
• 11 paid holidays
• 15 days paid vacation
• 15 days paid sick leave
• Retirement savings plan with generous company match
• Longevity bonus for years of service
• Generous incentive programs
Positions in this job family are involved in handling, preparing, cooking and serving food for regular, modified and special diets at a state hospital, school, facility or institution. This includes maintaining clean and sanitary work, preparation and serving areas.
The functions performed in this job family will vary by level, unit and organization, but may include the following:
• Prepares foods, salads, and desserts; cooks or bakes a variety of items.
• Supplies unit with meat, fish or fowl as ordered; cuts and prepares meat, poultry or fish.
• Cleans and prepares foods using tools such as knives, slicers and peelers and equipment such as ovens and steamers; follows written diet orders.
• Operates dishwasher; gathers, cleans, stacks and hand washes or scours pots, pans, dishes, silverware and other cooking and baking utensils.
• Removes refuse from kitchen area; sweeps mops and scrubs kitchen, dining and storage areas.
• Labels, loads and delivers food carts or trays; picks up trays after use.
• Defrosts and cleans refrigerators, walk-in coolers and related equipment.
• Operates state-owned cars, vans, and/or other motorized transportation.
This career level includes positions where employees are assigned responsibility for a variety of tasks involved in preparing and serving meals in a state hospital, school, facility or institution. This includes using items for cooking and baking, cutting and preparing meat, poultry or fish, frying, or roasting foods. Positions are also responsible for the direction of others performing simple and routine duties involving the handling and serving of food and maintaining a clean and sanitary work area. In this role they will make recommendations for future food needs, receive and store food, and assist with serving food.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required at this level include knowledge of basic food preparation techniques; of food service operations; of proper sanitation practices; of basic mathematics; of ingredients used in baking and cooking; of food storage, preparation and cooking; of recipe usage; of standard weights and measures used in cooking and calculating and measuring ingredients; of operation of kitchen equipment and utensils; of practices and problems of meat storage and preparation; of modern methods and materials used in large scale baking, cooking, and meat cutting; of cutting, mixing and adding ingredients to all types of meat; and of sanitary and health standards.
Ability is required to carry out routine tasks to completion; to follow oral and written instructions; to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; to prepare and cook foods, baked goods and meat; to follow written and oral instructions; to direct the work of food service personnel; and to use a variety of tools and knives to cut or slice meat and other foods.
Some positions may require possession of a valid Oklahoma Driver’s License at time of appointment.
Some agencies may have determined positions in this job family to be safety sensitive as defined by 63 O.S. § 427.8.
Education and Experience requirements at this level consist of one year of experience in a commercial or institutional food service or an equivalent combination of education and experience, substituting one year of vocational or technical school training in food preparation for the required experience.
Please read instructions carefully and include all required documents when you submit your application.
No additional information will be accepted after the application has been submitted.