|Department||Department of Education|
|Date Opened||1/11/2022 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||8/7/2022 11:59:00 PM|
|Full or Part Time||
ART TECH HIGH SCHOOL TEACHING ARTIST
OFFICE OF CURRICULUM AND INSTRUCTION
The Oklahoma State Department of Education (OSDE) is the primary agency charged with overseeing K-12 public education in Oklahoma. We work directly with the state’s 500+ school districts and the legislature to ensure that Oklahoma students receive the quality education they deserve. If you are looking for a rewarding career that positively affects the lives of children, you are in the right place! For more about OSDE please visit our website at www.sde.ok.gov
Teaching Artist (TAs) are experienced local artists who will work with schools to create and facilitate monthly hands-on Arts Experiences for high school students. During the school year, as students complete a fine arts course, Teaching Artist will connect the Fine Arts Curriculum to the in-person Arts Experiences. Teaching Artist will be trained in the summer in high-quality instructional practices, classroom management, and culturally sustaining practices to facilitate high-quality Arts Experiences with students. They will be supported in this work by OSDE Art Tech Specialists. Work performed will take place during the school day.
PLEASE NOTE: These temporary position are funded through a federally awarded grant from the U.S. Department of Education that will expire on September 30, 2025. It is the goal of the Oklahoma State Department of Education to apply for additional funding opportunities as they become available.
• Knowledgeable about at least one artistic discipline (visual arts, dance, drama/theatre, or music) with experience tutoring, training, or teaching learners;
• Knowledge of or ability to learn about Oklahoma Academic Standards. With initial training and on-going support, align artistic activities to standards;
• Ability to monitor participation of students and, with support and training, ensure student engagement;
• Ability to manage records and commitments. With initial training and on-going support, keep track of school schedules, meetings, and organize instructional materials, supplies, etc;
• Ability to effectively organize one’s own time and complex, collaborative projects;
• Ability to exercise good judgment in analyzing situations and making decisions; organize and present facts and perspectives clearly; follow instructions; effectively conduct all matters in accordance with agency policy; establish effective working relationships with other school staff and faculty; and exercise tact, courtesy and initiative;
• Conscientious commitment and willingness to provide courteous, consistent, and efficient service through the performance of the prescribed job duties;
• Willingness and ability to exercise job-related travel, in-state. The Oklahoma State Department of Education does not provide an employee vehicle, but does compensate for travel costs;
• Willingness to learn new management skills for small and large student groups.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
• OSDE and Art Tech Onboarding and employee training;
• Work individually and in team based meetings within a curriculum framework to design Arts Experiences that are responsive to the students they serve;
• Facilitate monthly Arts Experiences during the school year;
• Actively plan and prepare for Arts Experiences including set-up and teardown, operate the logistics of Arts Experiences, and manage schedules;
• Actively communicate with school administration and staff, Arts Specialists, the Art Tech Program Manager;
• Participate in weekly meetings (virtual or in-person) with Arts Specialists to facilitate growth, receive support, and collaborate and coordinate with fellow Teaching Artists and OSDE staff;
• Participate in and complete professional development courses designed to increase knowledge of curriculum, lessons, and best practices for working in Oklahoma public schools;
• Coordinate with the Arts Specialists and school staff to ensure Arts Experiences are successful;
• Perform related work as required and assigned.
Local travel is required. Hotel stays are not expected.
The work environment consists of field work or telework at home with visits to assigned schools. Given current COVID precautions, the work environment may depend on the district’s COVID policies.
N (Not Applicable) - Activity is not applicable to this position
O (Occasionally) - Position requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0 – 2.5+ hrs/day)
F (Frequently) - Position requires this activity from 33%-66% of the time (2.5 – 5.5 hrs/day)
C (Constantly) - Position requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5+ hrs/day)
Physical Demands Physical Demands Lift/Carry
Stand F Reach Over Shoulder O 10 lbs or less F
Walk F Speak F 11-20 lbs F
Sit F Climb O 21-50 lbs O
Listen F Crawl O 51-100 lbs N
Grasp O Squat or Kneel O Over 100 lbs N
Reach Outward O Bend O
WORK AUTHORIZATION/SECURITY CLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full time basis
The Oklahoma Department of Education provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OSDE complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
This job description has been reviewed and approved by the Hiring Manager. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Must be at least 21 years old;
• Proof of a high school diploma or GED;
• Must submit a resume with your portfolio and list of references;
• Should have up to 5 years experience in the fine arts field (dance, visual arts, drama/theatre, or music) or currently pursuing a degree or mastery in your art field.
PLEASE NOTE: You must submit your portfolio to JOBS@SDE.OK.GOV (if applicable).
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Associate’s or bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Education or related art field [official transcript(s) required upon hire];
• Experience working with students ages 11-18.
Please read instructions carefully and include all required documents when you submit your application.
No additional information will be accepted after the application has been submitted.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|