Jackie Brannon Correctional Center, McAlester
|Department||Department of Corrections|
|Date Opened||1/1/2022 08:00:00 AM|
|Salary||$3,546.10 monthly – Level I|
|Full or Part Time||
Jackie Brannon Correctional Center
Salary: $3,546.10 monthly – Level I
Learn responsibility, be a leader, change lives. Correctional officers are responsible for overseeing individuals who have been sentenced to serve time in prisons or correctional centers. Responsibilities include maintaining the security, control, and custody of inmates in a state adult correctional facility.
Correctional officer cadets will receive formal and on-the-job training in security and custody duties and various policies and procedures relating to control and management of inmates. After successful completion of the required probationary period, employees at this level are promoted to level II.
• Minimum age is 20
• High school diploma or GED equivalent
• Possess a valid driver’s license
• Applicants will be drug tested
• Willing to work any assigned shifts
• Must be able to pass a thorough background investigation
• Flex Spending – Pre-tax medical/child savings
• Paid Holidays – 11 days a year
• Annual Leave – 15 days a year
• Sick Leave – 15 days a year
• Leave Sharing
• Employee Assistance Program
• Longevity Bonus
• 20 Year Retirement
New hires will receive a Sign-on Pay incentive of $2,500.00.
Criteria is as follows:
- Not currently employed in state government.
- Have signed an agreement form acknowledging the obligation to repay the entire incentive, including withholding tax, if the individual leaves state employment or accepts employment with another state agency within one year after receipt of the pay incentive.
- Have attested that no other sign-on pay incentive has been received during their state employment.
Positions in this job family are assigned responsibilities related to maintaining the security, control and custody of inmates in a state adult correctional facility.
The functions performed in this job family will vary by level, unit and organization, but may include the following:
• Provides security and supervision to inmates in a variety of situations and activities; maintain security of an assigned area or post.
• Provides security and supervision over inmate work crews; escorts inmates to work sites; inventories and controls all equipment, weapons, tools and keys.
• Patrols yards, grounds, cell houses, corridors, dormitories and work areas on an assigned shift; observes activities and movements of inmates; manages inmate conduct, work and discipline.
• Maintains order and discipline in programs and during meals and recreation periods; inspects living areas, facilities and work locations for unauthorized objects or materials; makes reports on incidents.
• Operates manually or electronically controlled security equipment maintaining controlled movement of inmates, staff and the public.
• Conducts inmate counts; performs searches of inmates and living quarters for contraband; enforces institutional rules and regulations.
• Prepares written documentation and reports concerning inmate behavior, status and movement.
• Participates on escape and apprehension teams; responds to riots and fires.
Levels are distinguished based on the complexity of assigned duties, the level of expertise required for completion of work assignments, and the responsibility assigned for the supervision of others.
This is the basic level where employees are assigned as correctional officer cadets and receive formal and on-the-job training in security and custody duties and various policies and procedures relating to control and management of inmates. After successful completion of the required probationary period, employees at this level are promoted to level II.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required at this level include knowledge of the fundamentals of English usage; of basic math; and of reporting writing. Ability is required to evaluate situations and adopt effective courses of action; to exercise alertness and be able to act quickly and effectively in an emergency situation; to follow oral and written instructions; to gather and organize facts and complete clear, concise reports; to communicate effectively; and to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
Per 57 OS 510 applicants/employees in this job family shall be subject to the following additional requirements:
c. satisfactory completion of minimum testing or professional evaluation through the Merit System of Personnel Administration to determine the fitness of the individual to serve in the position. Written evaluations shall be submitted to the Department of Corrections;
and d. satisfactory completion of physical in keeping with the conditions of the job description on an annual basis and along the guidelines as established by the Department of Corrections;
Applicants must possess a valid driver’s license at the time of appointment in order to perform necessary travel.
Applicants will be subject to drug testing.
Applicants must be willing and able to work any assigned shift or day of the week, and additional shifts as required.
NOTE: Employees in this job classification may be designated as peace officers by the Director and required to meet the training and screening requirements conducted by the Department and certified by the Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training. (57 O.S. 510) Training will include physical conditioning, self-defense tactics, and receipt of an application of oleoresin capsicum (OC) spray.
No person who has received a verdict of guilty or pled guilty or nolo contendere to any offense required to register pursuant to the Sex Offenders Registration Act is eligible for employment as a peace officer. (57 O.S. 589.C)
No person who has been convicted of a crime of moral turpitude who has not received a full pardon from the proper agency is eligible for employment as a peace officer. (70 O.S. 3311)
No person who has been convicted of a nonviolent felony and who has not received a full pardon from the proper authority, or who has been convicted of any other felony offense, is eligible for employment in this job classification. (21 O.S. 1283.B)
No person who has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence, who has not been pardoned for, or had the conviction expunged or set aside, or is subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or the partners’ child or engaging in other conduct that would place an intimate partner or the partners’ child in reasonable fear of bodily injury and includes a finding that the person is a credible threat; or who has been dishonorably discharged from any branch of the armed services is eligible for employment in this job classification. (18 U.S.C. 922)
The Department of Corrections has determined that some positions in this job family are safety sensitive as defined by?63 O.S. § 427.8.
Education and Experience requirements at this level consist of the statutory requirements contained in Title 57 O.S., Section 510.A.2: “a. The minimum age for service shall be twenty (20) years of age. The Director shall have the authority to establish the maximum age for correctional officers entering service and b. possession of thirty (30) semester hours from an accredited college or university; or possession of a high school diploma acquired from an accredited high school or GED equivalent testing program and graduation from a training course conducted by or approved by the Department and certified by the Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training either prior to employment or during the first six (6) months of employment....”## Note: Successful completion of the GED test is based upon standards established by the Oklahoma Department of Education.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|