|Department||Oklahoma State Senate|
|Date Opened||10/19/2021 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||11/8/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||Commensurate with relative legislative work experience|
|Full or Part Time||
If this sounds like the type of challenge that interests you, please email your resume to:
or mail or deliver to:
Oklahoma State Senate,
2300 North Lincoln Blvd., Room 309.1C,
Oklahoma City, OK 73105-4808.
Join a team where you can make a difference for our state!
The Oklahoma State Senate is receiving resumes for the position of Legislative Attorney. Do you like the idea of working in a fast-paced environment with an excellent team where you can make a difference for Oklahoma? Are you a detail-oriented person who possesses strong research, writing, and verbal communication skills? Do you enjoy problem solving?
Then consider joining the Oklahoma Senate Committee Staff as a Legislative Attorney. In this role, you will be part of a non-partisan staff to assist the development and navigation of legislation throughout the legislative process. The right person will have strong legal research and writing skills and the ability to communicate effectively. The Senate team is comprised of professionals dedicated to improving Oklahoma.
Under general administrative direction of the Committee Staff Division Director & General Counsel the responsibilities include:
• Performing legal review of proposed legislation;
• Conducting legal research in assigned areas of expertise and responsibility;
• Drafting memoranda and bill draft language as requested;
• Conducting analysis of the status of various federal laws, state laws, and other legal precedent;
• Providing information to Senators, agency personnel, and constituents regarding all aspects of legislation and on legal issues in assigned subject areas;
• Analyzing compliance of proposed constitutional amendments, resolutions, and amendments with current federal and state laws and adherence to appropriate rules and conventions of bill drafting form, style, and grammar;
• Attending committee meetings and hearings to provide legal guidance on legal questions and procedural matters as needed;
• Assisting staff in reviewing executive appointments that require Senate approval;
• Other duties as assigned by the Committee Staff Director & General Counsel.
Experience, knowledge, and skills of the ideal candidate include:
• Identification of any potential issues in proposed legislative measures in assigned area of expertise as they relate to the United States Constitution and the Oklahoma Constitution;
• Identification of any potential issues in proposed legislative measures in assigned area of expertise as they relate to state statutes and/or state agency rules;
• Strong legal research and writing skills;
• Ability to present legal concepts and information in a clear and concise manner;
• Effective interaction with legislators, staff, government officials, and interest groups;
• Ability to multitask various projects and meet legislative deadlines.
Education and Experience:
• Licensed as an attorney in the State of Oklahoma;
• Experience with the legislative process and terminology is preferred but not required.
Commensurate with relative legislative work experience and minimum education requirements, plus the state employee's full benefit package.
Veteran's Preference Points Apply only for initial appointment in the Classified Service.