|Department||Department of Veterans Affairs|
|Date Opened||10/11/2021 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||10/25/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$70,000 - $77,500/year|
|Full or Part Time||
Resumes and copies of transcripts should be submitted to Human Resources by one of the methods below:
*Indicate the position & location you are applying for in the subject line of the email*
Mail: ODVA Human Resources, 2132 NE 36th Street, Oklahoma City, OK, 73111
This is a Full-time Unclassified position located at the
ODVA CENTRAL OFFICE
2132 NE 36TH STREET
OKLAHOMA CITY, OK 73111
(Director, Claims & Benefits Division)
This classification under administrative direction, plans, organizes and directs the administration of the claims and benefits programs for the agency on a statewide basis.
This is a single incumbent proprietary class with the incumbent being responsible for oversight of statewide operations of the agency’s claims and benefits programs. This includes coordination of program activities with other state and federal agencies, military services, veterans organizations and veterans hospitals as well as direction of the Claims and Benefits Division regional claims offices, VA Medical Center and VA Outpatient Clinic claims offices, Veterans Center Claims offices and a staff of field representatives and support personnel in providing a variety of claims and benefit services to eligible veterans and their dependents.
The functions will vary by level, but may include the following:
• Directs and coordinates veterans benefit programs and activities with Veterans Administration regional offices and medical centers, veterans service organizations, military services and members of the state legislature and U.S. Congress.
• Plans and directs staff activities; ensures compliance with state and federal laws, policies and procedures related to veterans benefits; prepares reports on division activities; determines budget requirements.
• Coordinates field activities with those of central claims offices, VA regional offices and outpatient clinics; directs and coordinates training for field representatives, counselors and claims personnel; advises hospital administrators and other program managers on claims and benefits for eligible veterans.
• Assists in the development of directives and policies regarding implementation of various veterans programs for approval by the War Veterans Commission; administrative programs related to emergency aid, Cross of Valor eligibility and ex-POW auto tags.
• Represents the agency and veterans, in general, at various meetings, ceremonies, conventions and legislative hearings; prepares material concerning veterans benefits and services for use by the media.
• Performs related work as required and assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES required at this level include knowledge of federal and state laws and regulations pertaining to veterans benefits and services; of policies and procedures for requesting and obtaining veterans benefits; of veterans organizations and related services; of public administration; of personnel and fiscal management; of the legislative process; and of the principles of management and effective supervision.
Skill in planning, reviewing and directing the work of others; in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with federal and state officials, veterans groups and the general public; in interpreting, analyzing and resolving complex administrative and personnel problems; in applying agency policies and procedures; and in expressing ideas clearly both orally and in writing.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE requirements at this level consist of a bachelor’s degree and five (5) years of professional experience in veterans or military programs administration or public administration, including at least three (3) years in a professional managerial capacity.
NOTE: Professional experience in the fields listed must have been the primary job responsibility to be considered as qualifying. Incidental performance of professional work in any area shall not be considered.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS include willing and able to fulfill all job related travel normally associated with this position.
Veteran’s preference points apply only for initial appointment in the classified service.