|Department||Department of Education|
|Date Opened||10/11/2021 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||10/25/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|Full or Part Time||
SCHOOL COUNSELOR SPECIALIST
OFFICE OF STUDENT SUPPORT
The Oklahoma State Department of Education (OSDE) is the primary agency charged with overseeing K-12 public education in Oklahoma. We work directly with the state’s 500+ school districts and the legislature to ensure that Oklahoma students receive the quality education they deserve. If you are looking for a rewarding career that positively affects the lives of children, you are in the right place! For more about OSDE please visit our website at www.sde.ok.gov
Under direction, provide leadership to improve school counseling services provided to students across the state, particularly in the areas of academic development and planning.
PLEASE NOTE: This position is funded through the Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief Fund (ESSER). The funding for this position will expire in December of 2024. It is the goal of the Oklahoma State Department of Education to apply for more funding if it becomes available.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
● Master's degree from an accredited college or university in Counseling, [official transcript(s) required] ;
● Minimum five (5) years experience in school counseling services,
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
● Possession of a valid School Counseling teaching certificate;
● Minimum five (5) years experienceas a high school counselor.
● Considerable knowledge of a comprehensive school counseling program;
● Considerable knowledge of academic advising for college and career readiness;
● Considerable knowledge of legislation related to the graduation requirements;
● Considerable knowledge of individual academic planning and goal setting;
● Considerable knowledge of data collection and analyzation to inform school counseling programs that foster academic success;
● Considerable knowledge of guidance and counseling programs for students at all grade levels (PK-12), including Oklahoma’s Accreditation Standard VI, Guidance and Counseling Services;
● Considerable knowledge of Individual Career and Academic Planning;
● Ability to effectively communicate with State Board of Education members and legislators;
● Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, school officials and the general public; to express clearly and concisely the philosophies, practices and policies of the Oklahoma State Department of Education, as well as ideas, strategies and programs relating to guidance, counseling; to judge a situation and adopt an effective course of action; to conduct needs-based in-service in guidance, counseling;
● Knowledge of technology and ability to use it to maximize efficiency and services;
● Willingness and ability to perform necessary job-related travel; and
● Conscientious commitment and willingness to provide courteous, consistent and efficient service through the performance of the prescribed job duties.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
● Provide technical assistance in the implementation of Oklahoma's Accreditation Standard VI, Guidance and Counseling Services;
● Provide consultation for the implementation of Individual Career Academic Plans;
● Provide leadership for improved school counseling services through sharing of best practices;
● Direct the development of long-range plans, goals and objectives related to graduation rate, at-risk student identification and student success;
● Stay informed of new trends, diagnostic and evaluation techniques, curriculum materials, curriculum integration and technology;
● Create and deliver meaningful and articulate presentations to State Board of Education members and legislators; Work with existing groups, such as professional associations, Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education and the Oklahoma Department of Career and Technology Education to identify problems and help develop initiatives to address these problems;
● Communicate with counseling-related professionals in the state concerning state policies, legislation, and current programs;
● Coordinate conferences for school counselors.
20% travel required with occasional overnight stays
This is a full time remote position in a home office setting.
N (Not Applicable) - Activity is not applicable to this position
O (Occasionally) - Position requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0 – 2.5+ hrs/day)
F (Frequently) - Position requires this activity from 33%-66% of the time (2.5 – 5.5 hrs/day)
C (Constantly) - Position requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5+ hrs/day)
Physical Demands Physical Demands Lift/Carry
Stand F Reach Over Shoulder O 10 lbs or less F
Walk F Speak F 11-20 lbs F
Sit F Climb O 21-50 lbs O
Listen F Crawl O 51-100 lbs N
Grasp O Squat or Kneel O Over 100 lbs N
Reach Outward O Bend O
Generous benefit allowance in addition to salary to off-set insurance costs
More information at https://www.ebd.ok.gov
11 Paid Holidays
15 days of vacation and 15 days of sick leave the first year
Teacher’s Retirement System (TRS) participation with all contributions paid by the employer
More information at https://www.ok.gov/TRS
Employee Assistance Program
Longevity Bonus for years of service
The Oklahoma Department of Education provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OSDE complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
This job description has been reviewed and approved by the Hiring Manager. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Please read instructions carefully and include all required documents when you submit your application.
No additional information will be accepted after the application has been submitted.
Veteran's Preference Points apply only for initial appointment in the Classified Service.