|Department||State Department of Health|
|Date Opened||9/10/2021 08:00:00 AM|
|Salary||Up to $61,880 based on education and experience.|
|Full or Part Time||
The Oklahoma State Department of Health (OSDH) is committed to providing quality health services to Oklahoma citizens. The mission of the Department of Health is to promote, protect and improve the health of all Oklahomans through strategies that focus on preventing disease and injuries.
OSDH is seeking a full time Registered Nurse III providing support to the Oklahoma Birth Defects Registry. This is an unclassified position (PIN #34001217) in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma in state government. OSDH offers a comprehensive Benefits Packet, including a generous benefit allowance to offset the cost of insurance premiums for employees and their eligible dependents. For more information about the benefit allowance [click here].The annual salary up to $61,880 for this position is based on education and experience.
The primary purpose of this position is to identify children diagnosed with birth defects and record highly technical and pertinent data from medical records to be used for birth defect surveillance and birth defect prevention activities. This is achieved through onsite and remote access medical record abstraction, which requires ongoing communication with Health Information Management/Information Technology staff at all birthing facilities in Oklahoma. This position is also responsible for participating in quality improvement activities and development of policies and procedures for the Oklahoma Birth Defects Registry. This position is responsible for educating the public about birth defects and birth defects prevention, as well as collaborating with community partners at various events and conferences across the state.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Identify cases and abstract maternal and child medical records at hospitals throughout the state to obtain accurate and comprehensive surveillance data.
• Accurately record data on abstracts.
• Maintain ongoing communication with hospitals across the state; coordinating identification of cases and generating lists of records to be reviewed.
• Independently schedule visits and maintain consistent abstraction schedule at all assigned birthing hospitals
• Initiate and participate in quality improvement activities for Screening and Special services, specifically the Oklahoma Birth Defects Registry.
• Provide birth defect education and training to other Oklahoma Birth Defects Registry staff members.
• Contribute to the development of policies and procedures related to the Oklahoma Birth Defects Registry.
• Work closely with internal and external partners such as nurses, physicians, and other healthcare professional across the state, as well as the general public to increase knowledge of preconception care to reduce the occurrence of birth defects and subsequently reduce the rates of infant mortality and morbidity
• Demonstrate knowledge of and support the mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of ethical behavior.
• Evaluates and determines health resources necessary to meet individual, family and community health needs.
• Delivers professional nursing care in an assigned unit, clinic, home, or other setting.
• Educates individuals, families, communities, and members of the health care team about the principles of disease prevention and health promotion.
• Assures quality health care through use of various measures such as record review, peer review, direct observation, and assessment of individual, family, and community for the desired outcome.
• Works effectively in team environment, participating and assisting their peers.
• Other duties as assigned
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Specialized knowledge of:
• Human embryology and human development
• Medical practices, procedures and diagnostic imaging
• Medical terminology
• Principles and practices of professional nursing, of health promotion and disease prevention
• Hospital coding practices
• HIPAA rules and privacy practices
• Locate and accurately record highly technical data from medical records
• Build rapport with hospital contacts
• Independently problem solve and multi-task
• Work effectively in team environment, participating and assisting their peers
Must have excellent organizational and time management skills.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
This position is set in an office environment as well as in offsite office environment which require travel across the state. While performing the duties of the job, employees are frequently required to drive, stand, walk, lift, and reach. Position requires job related travel.
Requirements consist of possession of a valid Oklahoma license as a registered nurse as approved by the Oklahoma Board of Nursing or, Registered Nurse License recognized by the Enhanced Nurse Licensure Compact (eNLC) and two years of professional nursing experience, OR, a Bachelor's in Nursing and possession of a valid permanent Oklahoma license as a Registered Nurse as approved by the Oklahoma Board of Nursing or, Registered Nurse License recognized by the Enhanced Nurse Licensure Compact (eNLC) and two year professional nursing experience.
If education, certification or licensure is required to meet qualifications, applicants must provide documentation at the time of interview.
All applicants are subject to a background check and must be legally authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT WORKING AT THE OKLAHOMA STATE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH CLICK HERE
Please read instructions carefully and include all required documents when you submit your application.
No additional information will be accepted after the application has been submitted.
Veteran's Preference Points Apply only for initial appointment in the Classified Service.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|