|Date Opened||4/14/2021 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||4/30/2021 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||Salary will be commensurate with experience|
|Full or Part Time||
Submit resumes via email to:
#21-17-The Oklahoma Insurance Department has an opening in the Legal Division for a Senior Attorney. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Submit résumés by 5:00 p.m., April 30, 2021.
The Senior Counsel will be dedicated ensure effective enforcement of the Insurance Code and related statutes and rules. The lawyer will assume functions of planning, organizing and monitoring legal activities, interpreting laws and regulations; providing legal advice, counsel and assistance to the agency. The Senior Counsel will be expected to work under minimal supervision with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment in legal issues large in scope, complexity and activity.
• Analyzes complex factual and legal issues and prepares legal opinions, briefs, pleadings, contracts and other legal documents.
• Interview and select appropriate witnesses, prepare witnesses to give testimony, conduct direct and cross-examination, draft findings of fact, conclusions of law and orders based on the decision of hearing examiners or judges.
• Exercises responsibility for the development, preparation, and presentation of cases before administrative, state, federal, and appellate courts.
• Advises agency divisions on questions of insurance law, administrative law, and general law and the implications for industry; private or professional associations; state, federal, or local government; and consumers.
• Draft legislation and agency rules implementing state insurance laws.
• Speak before various civic and industry groups, including continuing education seminars, regarding insurance or Department matters.
• Assist all members of the Legal Division with complex issues.
• Assume substantive decision-making role and provide guidance and leadership to the division in the absence of the Deputy General Counsel.
• Perform related work as assigned.
• Evaluates and drafts proposed agency rules and draft legislation.
• Evaluates complex legal issues and provides advice, counsel, and assistance regarding legal matters.
• Experience with the development, preparation and presentation of cases before administrative, state, or federal court.
• Ability to present evidence and arguments in adversarial proceedings without assistance and able to handle appeals of administrative decisions without assistance.
• Ability to mentor less experienced attorneys, including editing of pleadings and motions and assisting with hearing preparation.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
• Demonstrates knowledge of and supports mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of ethical behavior.
• Works effectively in team environment, participating and assisting their other attorneys with difficult issues.
• This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school.
• Licensed to practice law in the State of Oklahoma.
• Five years legal experience as a licensed attorney.
VALUED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• Knowledge of the scope of Oklahoma statutory laws and provisions of the Oklahoma Constitution, of the United States Constitution, and of the principles of administrative law.
• Self-motivated, able to perform most research and writing tasks with no supervision.
• Management experience.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
• Office environment.
• Computer based.
• Travel may be required.
NOTE: Employees of the Oklahoma Insurance Department cannot have an immediate relative who is financially interested, directly or indirectly, in any insurer, agency or insurance transaction (except as a policyholder or claimant). The selected applicant must not have a felony conviction and must pass a background check.
Employees of the Oklahoma Insurance Department are unclassified employees of the state. For benefits offered by the State of Oklahoma to employees of the state, please use this link to access the Office of Human Capital Management benefits page at https://omes.ok.gov/services/employee-benefits
Veteran's Preference Points Apply only for initial appointment in the Classified Service.