|Department||State Department of Health|
|Date Opened||4/1/2021 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||4/15/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||Up to $80,000.00 based on education and experience.|
|Full or Part Time||
The Oklahoma State Department of Health (OSDH) is committed to providing quality health services to Oklahoma citizens. The mission of the Department of Health is to promote, protect and improve the health of all Oklahomans through strategies that focus on preventing disease and injuries.
OSDH is seeking a full time Newborn Screening Data Scientist providing support to Screening and Special Services. This is a classified position (PIN 34003457) in state government, located in Oklahoma City, OK. OSDH offers a comprehensive Benefits Package, including a generous benefit allowance to offset the cost of insurance premiums for employees and their eligible dependents. For more information about the benefit allowance [click here]. The annual salary for this position is up to $80,000.00, based on education and experience.
The Newborn Screening (NBS) Data Scientist performs analysis of NBS follow-up and laboratory data including descriptive statistics and application of inferential statistical methods. The data scientist works with the administrative NBS program manager, laboratory supervisors as well as other newborn screening staff throughout the agency. This position requires interaction with other partners in Oklahoma and across the nation to ensure that the Oklahoma NBS program is utilizing data collected and performing analysis to be able to improve services to Oklahoma families.
Position Responsibilities /Essential Functions
• Monthly reports of statistical data to programs such as NewSteps and CLIR
• Adhoc reports as needed by program and lab managers
• Design, document, and implement database architectures and systems
• Understand and use database schemas, tables, relationships and constraints
• Query databases and tables, and optimize existing queries (Oracle, Access, etc)
• Clean, modify, process, and output data (CSV, Excel) preferably in SAS
• Automate reporting through use of visualization software and scripting languages
• Generate new datasets from varied sources and enhance with new information from analysis or data processes
• Create interactive dashboards, visualization, and business tools preferably in Tableau or PowerBI.
• Recognize and adopt best practices in reporting and analysis: data integrity, test design analysis, validation and documentation.
• Familiarity with Access and its ability to create forms and other user friendly methods of data entry including writing VBA code and Macros for advanced interface design
• Linking data sources without explicit unique identifier with SAS, Python, or R
• Familiarity with automation workflow tools like Microsoft’s Power Automate
• Feel comfortable learning and giving advice on new technologies and how to use them to improve NBS interactions with internal departments, hospitals, and external stakeholders.
• Ability to create descriptive and predictive models using SAS, R, Python, or Excel.
• Ability to create regression models, classification models, and confusion matrices
• capable of managing new initiatives centered on technology, data sharing and collection, etc
• Evaluate the effectiveness of the current NBS program functions, develop and implement processes, guidance, and procedures to monitor and evaluate progress toward program goals
• Participate in Oklahoma NBS meetings and program activities as needed
• Attend and participate in relevant national conferences, meetings, and events
• Work with NBS staff to help identify new data needs
• Assist in identifying issues related to data quality, data sources, and data processing
• Design workflows and processes for data management within the newborn screening program
• Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to identify key variables and formats, and set standardized methods for data collection and reporting.
• Participate in ongoing application testing, implementation, and evaluation
• Test system usability and evaluate usage, identify barriers, and propose solutions
• Troubleshoot problems reported by application system users
• Provide and/or arrange for technical assistance and/or training for database users
• Clearly document and communicate findings and insights to NBS program leadership
• Assist in the development of recommendations, communications, process improvements, and other action items based on findings and insights
• Other duties as assigned.
Demonstrate knowledge of and support mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of ethical behavior.
Work effectively in team environment, participating and assisting their peers.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in health informatics, statistics, statistical analysis, mathematics, computer science or closely related degree; AND one (1) years of professional statistical analysis experience with healthcare or public health related data.
A master’s of science degree in health informatics, statistics, statistical analysis, mathematics, computer science, or closely related degree may substitute for the experience.
Valued Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• This position requires excellent organization and time management skills, as well as attention to detail. It also requires the ability to communicate effectively with personal who are not trained in data analysis and statistics, the ability to work on multiple projects independently, and provide excellent customer service.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
Work is typically performed in an office setting with a climate-controlled settings and exposure to moderate noise level.
While performing the duties of the job, employee is required to talk, stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms.
This position requires long period of sitting and daily use of computer and phone.
Work related travel required.
If education, certification or licensure is required to meet qualifications, applicants must provide documentation at the time of interview.
All applicants are subject to a background check and must be legally authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT WORKING AT THE OKLAHOMA STATE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH CLICK HERE
Please read instructions carefully and include all required documents when you submit your application.
No additional information will be accepted after the application has been submitted.
Veteran's Preference Points Apply only for initial appointment in the Classified Service.