|Date Opened||2/24/2021 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||3/10/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|Full or Part Time||
Submit cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
*Indicate which particular position you are applying for in the subject line of the email.
Auditor III – Business Tax Services Division- Business Tax Review
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by the Auditor within the Business Tax Services division. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities and skills.
The Auditor will play a critical role in the function and processing of business tax audits in one of the three sections in the Business Tax Services division. This position is jointly responsible for the daily operations of the agency’s high-volume in Business Tax Reviews, Credits & Refunds, and Motor Fuel sections.
The functions performed by employees in this job family will vary by level, but may include the following:
• Prepares memos and taxpayer correspondence in a manner sufficient to convey procedures, laws and regulations;
• Assists taxpayers, legal representatives, internal and external personnel in a professional manner by email, telephone, and in person;
• Completes assigned work items in order to meet section production and accuracy standards;
• Resolves complex and non-complex business tax issues in a courteous and helpful manner;
o Uses proper resources to try to find the answers whenever unsure of the proper response and assures that the calls are returned within the deadline provided;
• Assists section auditors with more difficult registrations;
• Provides training of newly hired auditors and support to lower-level auditors.
Customer Service: Appropriately address internal and external customer issues while respecting business needs, especially as it relates to procedures, laws, regulations, policies, and system maintenance.
Result Driven: Identify the most appropriate method for completing assignments and tasks to meet deadlines.
Decision Making: Evaluate all relevant data and aspects of situations and make appropriate decisions.
Accountability: Accept responsibility for actions with honesty and integrity while remaining committed to organization success.
Teamwork: Promote a team atmosphere of respect for all team members and work well with co-workers and leadership.
Innovation & Culture: Develop a culture of continuous improvement by evaluating, quantifying, and implementing new solutions.
Business Tax Review
• Performs complex and non-complex edit/audit of taxpayer returns by verifying the accuracy of tax liabilities based on information from the return and attachments, according to the established standards for the task.
o Assists section auditors with more difficult reviews and reports when required.
• Resolves complex business tax issues that may come from auditors or other divisions’ phone inquiries. Issues are resolved in a courteous and helpful manner.
o Uses proper resources to try to find the answers whenever unsure of the proper response and assures that the calls are returned within the working day.
• Consults with supervisor on returns requiring rulings based on statute or rule, as well as computer operations problems and potential solutions.
o Prepares and submits trouble reports, production reports and operational reports of processing errors; all done within an acceptable time frame after evaluating the impact.
• Updates taxpayer accounts and agency records to reflect required transaction initiated and or requested within deadline provided.
• Delivers and retrieves reports, mail and phone messages from the other areas, and then distributes items to proper location in the section at the time designated by supervisor.
COMPLEXITY OF KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of
o Bookkeeping practices and standards.
o Generally accepted accounting principles and practices;
o Auditing theories and techniques;
o Public and business administration;
o Financial statements, ledgers, journals and reports;
o Analytical principles;
o Modern office methods and procedures, including computer technology related to accounting systems.
o Business tax types
• Ability is required to
o Resolve issues in a courteous and helpful manner;
o Work as part of a team as well as independently;
o Utilize all the system applications necessary to complete work assignments;
o Develop a proficient comprehensive understanding of the business tax types processed by the section;
o Use communication tools utilized by the agency;
o Prioritize tasks with completing deadlines.
o Review and analyze accounting records and business practices;
o Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others;
o Communicate effectively.
• Skills in
o Proficient in the use of the communication tools utilized by the agency;
o Strong analytical skills, critical thinking, and attention to detail;
o Verbal and written communication skills;
o Using sound judgment and decision-making;
o Using a computer and applicable software;
o Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite programs.
Education and Experience requirements at this level consist of:
• A bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business or public administration, or related field; PLUS two (2) years of bookkeeping, auditing, accounting, or similar field;
• OR an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
Preference may be given to candidates who:
• Are proficient in Microsoft Office, with an emphasis on Excel;
• Completed a CPA or CIA certification.
Telework may be required based on the needs of the agency, division, and section. If applicable, applicant must be willing and able to BOTH work on-site and telework at an off-site location, generally in the applicant’s home. Applicant must have a secure internet connection and a dedicated telephone (landline) or smart phone device during scheduled working hours.
Applicant must be willing and able to perform all job related travel normally associated with this position.
Employment with the Oklahoma Tax Commission offers benefits, which include medical, dental, life, disability and vision insurance, medical and health care reimbursement programs, retirement plan, deferred compensation plan, paid holidays, and longevity payments. Employees are provided a benefit allowance to spend toward their benefits. Employees earn three weeks annual and three weeks paid sick leave in the first year of employment.
The Oklahoma Tax Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities may be provided upon request.
All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship.
Veteran’s preference points apply only for initial appointment in the classified service.