|Department||State Department of Health|
|Date Opened||2/22/2021 08:00:00 AM|
|Salary||Based on education and experience.|
|Full or Part Time||
The Oklahoma State Department of Health (OSDH) is committed to providing quality health services to Oklahoma citizens. The mission of the Department of Health is to promote, protect and improve the health of all Oklahomans through strategies that focus on preventing disease and injuries.
This position will cover multiple counties, the duty station will be determined upon hire.
Counties Covered: Atoka, Bryan, Choctaw, Coal, Latimer, Leflore, McCurtain, Pittsburg and Pushmataha.
OSDH is seeking a full time Community Health Epidemiologist. This is an unclassified position (PIN#34002428) in state government, located in the southeast region of Oklahoma. OSDH offers a comprehensive Benefits Packet, including a generous benefit allowance to offset the cost of insurance premiums for employees and their eligible dependents. For more information about the benefit allowance [click here].The annual salary will be based on education and experience.
The purpose of this position is to plan, organize and conduct field studies and surveillance of communicable or chronic diseases, injuries or conditions; to determine the patterns of disease in the community; to make communicable or chronic diseases, injuries or conditions; to determine the patterns of disease in the community; to make recommendations regarding the possible causation of diseases and disease processes, their correlation with other community conditions (to include social determinates of health), and the control of epidemics and eradication of disease; conduct literature reviews, support data sharing initiatives, provide data and technical evaluation assistance, continual focus on local health assessments, strategic health planning, and appropriate interventions with a deliberate evaluation component, and to perform other work assigned. This position will provide support to Atoka, Bryan, Choctaw, Coal, Latimer, Leflore, McCurtain, Pittsburg and Pushmataha counties.
• Knowledge of public health principles and practices of communicable diseases, chronic diseases, injury prevention and other conditions.
• Advanced knowledge of epidemiology and evaluation methods
• Proficiency with statistical analysis software, such as; SAS, SPSS, and Stata.
• Thorough knowledge and understanding of public health sciences and practice.
• The ability to interpret findings and prepare materials (such as briefs, reports), and communicate results to department staff, the general public, and other partners.
• The ability to provide epidemiological and evaluation input into planning and program processes.
• Education and experience in conducting program evaluations.
• A proven ability independently and communicate effectively using written, verbal, and electronic methods.
• Interacts with and provides technical assistance to internal customers (such as; State and County Health Departments leadership and staff) as well as external stakeholders from the public, private and nonprofit sectors in Oklahoma.
• Establish and maintains surveillance systems to identify and monitor communicable disease and chronic disease (including injury) and health risk behavior trends among various population groups.
• Review and monitor case reports, health statistics, demographic information and the results of laboratory tests to identify possible disease trends, locations and sources.
• Consult on development and use of health information systems, interfacing with the vital records system and other divisions in the department in dealing with specific disease problems and recommends appropriate action.
• Designs, collects, analyzes, and prepares reports on epidemiologic surveys by analyzing available surveillance data, or by collecting or supervising the collection of new data as pertains to acute and chronic disease and maternal, child, and adolescent health.
• Assess risks of the occurrence of epidemics, communicable diseases and/or environmental hazards and makes recommendations for control procedures and/ or official departmental policy based on such assessments.
• Assist in writing grant applications.
• Maintains accurate records and files related to work performed and prepares and updates documentation regrading assigned projects.
Education and Experience
• Requirements at this level consist of a master’s degree in public health, biological, medical, or health science.
• Two years of full time professional level experience planning, developing and conducting epidemiological or similar research studies, preferably in a Public Health setting is also qualifying.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
Current Epidemiological and related literature; Federal, State, and local laws and regulations pertaining to public health practice and administration; computer applications related to the work, including data base development and modification and report generation techniques. Must also have a thorough knowledge of environmental, agent and host factors associated with the occurrence of diseases, modes of disease transmission and epidemic patterns of disease in the community; availability, uses and limitations of demographic data; application of manual and automated systems for storage, retrieval and analysis of data.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
• Office Environment
• Computer based
• Travel may be required
If education, certification or licensure is required to meet qualifications, applicants must provide documentation at the time of interview.
All applicants are subject to a background check and must be legally authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT WORKING AT THE OKLAHOMA STATE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH CLICK HERE
Please read instructions carefully and include all required documents when you submit your application.
No additional information will be accepted after the application has been submitted.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|