|Department||State Department of Health|
|Date Opened||2/18/2021 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||3/4/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||Up to $15.00/hour based on education and experience.|
|Full or Part Time||
The Oklahoma State Department of Health (OSDH) is committed to providing quality health services to Oklahoma citizens. The mission of the Department of Health is to promote, protect and improve the health of all Oklahomans through strategies that focus on preventing disease and injuries.
OSDH is seeking an English/Spanish Interpreter/Translator providing support to Custer County Department of Health. This is an unclassified temporary position (PIN#34000370) in state government. The hourly salary for this position is up to $15.00 based on education and experience.
This position will provide English/Spanish interpreter and interpretation services to Limited English Proficiency (LEP) clients within Oklahoma State Department of Health Central Office as well as county health departments with LEP clients.
Position Responsibilities /Essential Functions
• Support OSDH in Title VI mandated requirements to provide Limited English Proficient (LEP) clients/patients/customers access to public health resources.
• Facilitates access to services for LEP clients through the utilization of medical terminology to interpret documents, correspondence, forms, questionnaires (both written and verbal), pamphlets and other materials from English to Spanish or Marshallese and vice-versa.
• Interpret for clients/staff in order to communicate public health information and/or personal medical/health information. Interprets either in person or via the telephone.
• Contributes to the organizations overall strategic efforts in the elimination of health disparities through the development of partnerships in minority populations.
• Be a resource for LEP clients by recognizing indications of problems, gathering information, analyzing situations, reaching conclusions, working with others, and initiating appropriate action.
Demonstrates knowledge of and supports mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of ethical behavior. Works effectively in team environment, participating and assisting their peers.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Education and Experience
Experience translating and/or interpreting English to Spanish and Spanish to English.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Requirements include knowledge of office methods and procedures; of telephone procedures and standard business communications; of grammar, punctuation, spelling, and basic mathematics. Skill is required to operate office machines including computers/PCs. Ability to translate from Spanish to English for several programs including Family Planning, Women Infants and Children, General Clinic, and Children First; to follow oral and written instructions; to independently follow established protocols, encourage respondents to answer questions, probe and clarify if needed and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
Combination of office and exam offices. May be exposed to communicable diseases, bodily fluids, toxic substances, and medicinal preparations. Hepatitis B vaccination and TB test may be required. Varied activities including sitting, walking, stooping, lifting, bending, pushing, and reaching.
If education, certification or licensure is required to meet qualifications, applicants must provide documentation at the time of interview.
All applicants are subject to a background check and must be legally authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT WORKING AT THE OKLAHOMA STATE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH CLICK HERE
Please read instructions carefully and include all required documents when you submit your application.
No additional information will be accepted after the application has been submitted.