|Department||Department of Education|
|Date Opened||2/11/2021 08:00:00 AM|
|Full or Part Time||
DIRECTOR OR SECONDARY MATHEMATICS
OFFICE OF CURRICULUM AND INSTRUCTION, OLIVER HODGE BUILDING, OKLAHOMA CITY, OKLAHOMA
Lead Oklahoma educators in highly effective secondary mathematics education, supporting meaningful instruction and assessment based on the Oklahoma academic standards; supervise Secondary Mathematics and STEM programs.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Graduation from an accredited college or university with a master’s degree [official transcript(s) required] or National Board Certification;
• Possession of a valid teaching certificate in mathematics; and
• Experience teaching or coordinating the instruction of secondary mathematics.
• Considerable knowledge of secondary cooperative learning activities, interdisciplinary and modern teaching techniques, methods and practices; of current trends and sources of information in the field of education, curriculum development in particular; of educational psychology; general knowledge of federal and state school laws; of budgeting methods and procedures; of the principles of public relations;
• Expertise knowledge in Oklahoma’s mathematics standards and their relationship to research- and national-recommendations (e.g., NCTM’s Principles and Standards of School Mathematics);
• Considerable experience in analyzing testing data and drawing conclusions from that data;
• Considerable knowledge of professional development and implementation strategies generally and specific to secondary mathematics;
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, local school officials and the general public; to express facts and opinions clearly and concisely and to judge a situation and adopt an effective course of action;
• Ability to analyze and synthesize the impact of policies in education;
• Knowledge of technology and the ability to use it to maximize efficiency and services;
• Applicants must be willing and able to perform necessary job related travel;
• Conscientious commitment and willingness to provide courteous, consistent, efficient service through the performance of the prescribed job duties.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
• Assist with the implementation of the secondary mathematics standards; recommend methods, materials, teaching media and curricula to secondary mathematics educators;
• Maintain up to date knowledge of all SDE initiatives and goals, i.e. TLE, A-F grading system, STEM, 3rd grade reading (RSA);
• Collaborating/planning and implementing large conferences and events as well as evaluating the effectiveness of said conferences;
• Continuously work on STEM initiative in the secondary levels with Executive Director and STEM team;
• Organize and conduct professional development in secondary mathematics programs to disseminate current ideas, methods, techniques and uses of materials at elementary, middle and secondary levels to increase teacher effectiveness;
• Participate/lead in secondary secondary mathematics-related activities, organizations, and initiatives at the local, state and national levels;
• Represent the agency as a presenter/speaker/leader for educators, business and community organizations, etc;
• Collaborate with other curriculum directors and other agencies on joint projects including but not limited to Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching, student assessment, STEM, school improvement, and federal projects (e.g., Math and Science Partnership and STEM Master Teacher Corps);
• Provide technical assistance in the implementation of Oklahoma's core curriculum and the Oklahoma State Testing Program in Mathematics.
Less than 20% travel required with occasional overnight stays.
General office setting
WORK AUTHORIZATION/SECURITY CLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full time basis
N (Not Applicable) - Activity is not applicable to this position
O (Occasionally) - Position requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0 – 2.5+ hrs/day)
F (Frequently) - Position requires this activity from 33%-66% of the time (2.5 – 5.5 hrs/day)
C (Constantly) - Position requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5+ hrs/day)
Physical Demands Physical Demands Lift/Carry
Stand F Reach Over Shoulder O 10 lbs or less F
Walk F Speak F 11-20 lbs F
Sit F Climb O 21-50 lbs O
Listen F Crawl O 51-100 lbs N
Grasp O Squat or Kneel O Over 100 lbs N
Reach Outward O Bend O
SALARY RANGE: $55,000-$60,000
Generous benefit allowance in addition to salary to off-set insurance costs
More information at https://www.ebd.ok.gov
11 Paid Holidays
15 days of vacation and 15 days of sick leave the first year
Teacher’s Retirement System (TRS) participation with all contributions paid by the employer
More information at https://www.ok.gov/TRS
Employee Assistance Program
Longevity Bonus for years of service
The Oklahoma Department of Education provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OSDE complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
This job description has been reviewed and approved by the Hiring Manager. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Please read instructions carefully and include all required documents when you submit your application.
No additional information will be accepted after the application has been submitted.
Veteran's Preference Points apply only for initial appointment in the Classified Service.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|