|Date Opened||1/12/2021 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||2/2/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|Full or Part Time||
Submit cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
*Indicate which particular position you are applying for in the subject line of the email.
Individual Income Tax Specialist I
Salary: $44,159.00 annual
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by the Individual Income Tax Specialist. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities and skills.
The Individual Income Tax Specialist will play a critical role in the function and processing of the Oklahoma Tax Commission’s Individual Income Tax section in the Income Tax Accounts Division. This position is jointly responsible for the daily operations of the agency’s high-volume Individual Income Tax Section which is responsible for the processing of the approximately 1.8 million individual income tax returns the agency receives annually.
The functions performed by employees in this job family will vary, but may include the following:
• Performs entry-level to routine income tax account review work in a fast paced work environment.
• Examines, investigates, and reviews records, reports, and management practices to ensure legal compliance with state rules and statutes.
• Conducts review of returns for accuracy and processes corresponding refunds and bills.
• Reviews monthly billing to verify system correctness.
• Advises taxpayers and legal representatives concerning the interpretations and applications of the tax laws and rules and in the preparation/completion of tax reports in a professional and courteous manner.
• Performs simple-to-routine review of returns that are systemically identified to determine compliance with laws, rules, and regulations.
• Prepares adjustment letters to accurately explain errors and balances.
• Reviews applicable laws, regulations, procedures, and financial and administrative controls.
• Assists in projects as assigned.
• Appropriately addresses internal and external customer issues while respecting business needs, especially as it relates to income tax returns, refunds, and adjustments.
• Identify the most appropriate method to complete tasks and meet deadlines.
• Evaluates relevant data and aspects of situations and make appropriate decisions.
• Accepts responsibility for actions with honesty and integrity while remaining committed to organization success.
• Promotes a team atmosphere of respect for all team members; work well with co-workers and leadership.
COMPLEXITY OF KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of
o Accounting and auditing methods and systems;
o Generally accepted auditing standards and procedures;
o Computer technology principles, terminology, and automated systems.
• Ability to
o Analyze data and apply rules and statutes to correctly process incoming returns.
• Skills in
o Using a computer and applicable software.
o Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs is a plus.
Education and Experience requirements at this level consist of:
• A bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration, or related area;
• OR an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
Preference may be given to candidates who are proficient in Microsoft Office programs.
Telework may be required based on the needs of the agency, division, and section. If applicable, applicant must be willing and able to BOTH work on-site and telework at an off-site location, generally in the applicant’s home. Applicant must have a secure internet connection and a dedicated telephone (landline) or smart phone device during scheduled working hours.
Employment with the Oklahoma Tax Commission offers benefits, which include medical, dental, life, disability and vision insurance, medical and health care reimbursement programs, retirement plan, deferred compensation plan, paid holidays, and longevity payments. Employees are provided a benefit allowance to spend toward their benefits. Employees earn three weeks annual and three weeks paid sick leave in the first year of employment.
The Oklahoma Tax Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities may be provided upon request.
All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship.
Veteran’s preference points apply only for initial appointment in the classified service.