|Department||State Department of Health|
|Date Opened||10/12/2020 08:00:00 AM|
|Salary||Based on education and experience.|
|Full or Part Time||
The Oklahoma State Department of Health (OSDH) is committed to providing quality health services to Oklahoma citizens.The mission of the Department of Health is to promote, protect and improve the health of all Oklahomans through strategies that focus on preventing disease and injuries.
OSDH is seeking a full time State Epidemiologist. This is an unclassified position in state government, located in Oklahoma City, OK. The salary for this position is based on education and experience.
This position will be responsible for leading comprehensive statewide epidemiology programs, disease surveillance and investigation systems, and the coordination of program activities with other public health programs of the state. In this role they will assist in budgeting and planning for future program direction; set standards within state and federal guidelines; direct studies of program needs; review and analyze information from studies and projects for immediate and long-range program development; direct staff training programs; make recommendations concerning legislation; and supervise epidemiological personnel. This includes developing and directing statewide epidemiological services.
Position Responsibilities /Essential Functions
• Oversees, manages, and supervises the work of epidemiologists and associated staff conducting health surveillance aimed at monitoring health status and its correlates to identify trends or outbreaks of diseases or other adverse health events.
• Participates in research activities, special investigations and descriptive and analytic studies relating to infectious disease prevention - specific diseases; interprets results and adapts to epidemiology programs and related programs.
• Prepares technical reports and scientific articles and participates in grant writing activities.
• Designs and implements epidemiological studies and surveillance systems.
• Determines and utilizes appropriate statistical methods to evaluate and interpret data.
• Interacts with the media and conveys information to the public.
• Provides consultation to health care professionals, community organizations, and others on specific disease, injury, or conditions.
• Lectures for various organizations on diseases, injuries, or conditions; prepares educational materials for public distribution.
• Interprets data to determine risks from exposure to chemicals or biological agents.
Education and Experience
Master’s degree in epidemiology and five years of experience in a field involving the use of epidemiological research, investigation, and analysis or a doctorate in epidemiology; or a doctorate in epidemiology and two years of qualifying experience.
Preference may be given to candidates with a doctorate degree.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of epidemiology methods, human biology, laboratory methods, environmental analyses interpretation, parasitology, toxicology, immunology and pathology; of medical terminology; of statistical analysis, biometry, and demography; of epidemiological or statistical software; of social and economic conditions; of current epidemiological developments and techniques; of state and federal law and regulation relating to the administration of public health programs; and the principles of management and evaluation of public health. Ability is required to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; to meet with the public and conduct public information programs; to write technical and non-technical information material; and to use a personal computer and applicable software; Ability to assess, plan, coordinate, implement, and evaluate the activities of multiple work units; and to supervise, organize, and instruct staff.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
Work is performed in an office setting with climate controlled settings and exposure to moderate noise level. While performing the duties of the job, employee is required to stand, talk, walk, lift, and reach with hands and arms. This position requires long periods of sitting and daily computer-based work.
If education, certification or licensure is required to meet qualifications, applicants must provide documentation at the time of interview.
All applicants are subject to a background check and must be legally authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT WORKING AT THE OKLAHOMA STATE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH CLICK HERE
Please read instructions carefully and include all required documents when you submit your application.
No additional information will be accepted after the application has been submitted.
Veteran's Preference Points Apply only for initial appointment in the Classified Service.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|