|Department||State Department of Health|
|Date Opened||9/23/2020 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||6/4/2021 12:18:00 PM|
|Salary||Up to $21.15 hourly, based on education and experience.|
|Full or Part Time||
The Oklahoma State Department of Health (OSDH) is committed to providing quality health services to Oklahoma citizens.The mission of the Department of Health is to promote, protect and improve the health of all Oklahomans through strategies that focus on preventing disease and injuries.
OSDH is seeking multiple temporary Licensed Practical Nurse II positions providing support to the Beckham, Caddo, Comanche, Cotton, Greer, Harmon, Jackson, Kiowa and Tillman counties County Health Departments within the Oklahoma State Department of Health. These are temporary unclassified positions in state government. Duty station will be based on your home county. The hourly salary for these positions are up to $21.15 based on education and experience.
Positions in this job family are assigned responsibilities for performing technical direct and indirect nursing care in a clinic setting for individuals under the supervision or direction of a registered nurse, or licensed physician. This includes taking temperatures, pulse, respiration, and blood pressure, and various other technical nursing tasks in providing health care to patients and others. Performs nursing procedures or specialized functions in accordance with knowledge and skills. Participates in the evaluation of responses to interventions. Assists in assessing, reporting, and recording health status of patients, families, and groups. Participates in developing and implementing appropriate aspects of a plan of care. Administers medications as ordered. Reports appropriate patient information to supervisor or appropriate health team member.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Performs nursing procedures or specialized functions in accordance with knowledge, skills and licensure.
• Provide contraceptive education and pregnancy testing.
• Performing WIC assessments on women, infant and children who are eligible.
• Obtaining height and weight checks, hemoglobin testing, and lead testing.
• Educate parents on feeding habits for newborn babies and children to five years of age.
• Educate pregnant women and moms on breastfeeding.
• Issues breast pumps and instruct on how to use the pump and storage/handling of breast milk.
• Educate on the proper storage, mixing and handling of formula.
• Teaches basic nursing skills and related principles.
• Assess immunizations records and give required immunizations to infant, children and adults.
• Provide patient education on vaccines and possible side effects.
• Assists in assessing, reporting, and recording health status of patients, families, and groups in a variety of settings.
• Head checks for lice on children and adults.
• Provide education for lice treatment and prevention.
• Community outreach involves going to various sites, events and functions 1-2 times per year in the community to provide services and education on the services provided by the county health department for the community.
• Participates in developing and implementing appropriate aspects of a plan of care.
• Administers medications as ordered.
• Reports appropriate patient information to supervisor or appropriate health team member.
• Administer COVID-19 specimen collection to members of the community.
• Assist with COVID-19 community mobile testing sites.
Education and Experience
Requirements consist of possession of a valid Oklahoma license as a registered nurse as approved by the Oklahoma Board of Nursing or, Licensed Practical Nurse License recognized by the Enhanced Nurse Licensure Compact (eNLC) and one year of professional nursing experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Requirements include professional nursing theory, practices, and techniques; of health promotion and disease prevention; of nursing management of available health care resources; of nutrition and diet therapy; and of the functions of various clinical departments.
Ability is required to assist in the development, organization, and implementation of an effective nursing care plan; to provide education and training; to assess condition and needs of patients, families and communities appropriate to the care setting; to take appropriate intervention; to counsel and teach patients and families; and to provide direction or guidance to non-licensed personnel in assigned area of responsibility to ensure quality care.
Knowledge of nursing techniques, procedures, practices, and theory, of medical terminology, and of infection control measures. Ability is required to exercise sound judgment; to follow detailed oral or written instructions; and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others. Demonstrated ability to provide nursing care to patients or clients.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
Must be able to move to provide examinations 80% of the time. Combination of office and exam offices. May be exposed to communicable diseases, bodily fluids, toxic substances, and medicinal preparations. Hepatitis B vaccination and TB test required. Varied activities including sitting, walking, stooping, lifting, bending, pushing, and reaching. Ability to physically stand for several hours with good mobility (for reaching into vehicles). Use of N-95 respirator is required.
Preference will be given to those that are bi-lingual (Spanish) written and oral language skills.
If education, certification or licensure is required to meet qualifications, applicants must provide documentation at the time of interview.
All applicants are subject to a background check and must be legally authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT WORKING AT THE OKLAHOMA STATE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH CLICK HERE
Please read instructions carefully and include all required documents when you submit your application.
No additional information will be accepted after the application has been submitted.
Veteran's Preference Points Apply only for initial appointment in the Classified Service.