|Department||Department of Veterans Affairs|
|Date Opened||9/23/2020 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||10/7/2020 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||Salary up to $46,412.32/year|
|Full or Part Time||
Shift - Day Mon - Fri 8am-4:30
This is a leadership licensed nurse position and serves as primary charge nurse for a patient unit on a designated shift within an Oklahoma Veterans Center. Positions in this job are assigned responsibilities for supervising and performing technical and/or professional direct and indirect nursing care in an Oklahoma Veterans Center under the supervision or direction of a registered nurse or licensed physician.
Position is responsible for providing supervision to Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN) and Patient Care Assistants (PCA) serving as Certified Nurse Aides (CNA) and Certified Medication Aides (CMA).
The functions performed by employees in this job may include the following:
• Serves as Charge Nurse on a unit, directing and supervising LPN’s, CMA’s and CNA’s performing patient care and other assigned duties.
• Administers and/or oversees administration of medications and medical treatments as ordered.
• Performs or delegates nursing care tasks such as: taking temperature, pulse, respiration, and blood pressure, giving enemas, douches, and sitz baths, collecting specimens, and measuring intake and output.
• Performs nursing procedures or specialized functions in accordance with knowledge, skills, and licensure.
• Assists in assessing, reporting, and recording health status of patients.
• Participates in developing and implementing appropriate aspects of a plan of care.
• Reports appropriate patient information to supervisor or appropriate health team member.
• Participates in the evaluation of responses to interventions.
• Coaches and mentors staff on the unit; initiates informal discipline to correct behaviors and performance in accordance with agency policy.
• Conducts performance evaluations on subordinate staff
• Teaches basic nursing skills and related principles.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Required at this level include knowledge of nursing techniques, procedures, practices, and theory, of medical terminology, and of infection control measures. Ability is required to direct and supervise nursing care staff, exercise sound judgment; to issue and follow detailed oral or written instructions; and to establish and maintain effective professional working relationships with others.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Requirements consist of possession of a valid permanent Oklahoma license as a licensed practical nurse or registered nurse as approved by the Oklahoma Board of Nursing plus three years technical or professional (licensed) nursing experience.
Veteran's Preference Points Apply only for initial appointment in the Classified Service.