|Department||Dept. of Emergency Management & Homeland Security|
|Date Opened||8/31/2020 08:00:00 AM|
|Salary||Up to $50,000.00/year|
|Full or Part Time||
A resume and cover letter must be submitted with your application.
The Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management (OEM) prepares for, responds to, recovers from and mitigates against disasters and emergencies. The department maintains the State Emergency Operations Center which serves as a command center for reporting emergencies and coordinating state response activities. OEM also maintains, regularly updates and exercises the State Emergency Operations Plan. OEM delivers service to Oklahoma cities, towns and counties through a network of more than 400 local emergency managers.
OEM is seeking a full time Hazard Mitigation Planner providing support to the Recovery Division. This is an unclassified position in state government located in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. OEM offers a comprehensive Benefits Package, including a generous benefit allowance to offset the cost of insurance premiums for employees and their eligible dependents. For more information about the benefit allowance [click here]. The annual salary for this position is up to $50,000.00.
Under direction of the State Hazard Mitigation (HM) Program Manager, the position will perform a variety of specialized mitigation planning functions including; provide direct technical assistance to local municipalities, counties, tribes, and other jurisdictions regarding their Natural Hazard Mitigation planning efforts. Facilitate and participate in the development of new Hazard Mitigation Plans and updates to existing documents. Review local, multi-jurisdictional, and state standard and enhanced mitigation plans utilizing the current FEMA Mitigation Plan Review tool.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Meets with local officials and groups to explain the purposes and functions of mitigation and disaster recovery planning and program implementation; assists state and local officials with specific mitigation and disaster recovery related problems and issues.
• Serves as primary Hazard Mitigation Planner with secondary duties involved in IA and PA technical assistance plans.
• Serves as a planner for individual assistance (IA) including state emergency repatriation, disaster case management, children in emergencies, and IA management plan.
• Serves as a planner for public assistance including statewide debris planning, annual admin plan, disaster reporting and monitoring, and Public Assistance (PA) management plan.
• Coordinates with the other Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management (OEM) planners to promote consistency between divisions and reduce duplication of efforts between program areas.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Excellent verbal, writing, research, planning and organizational skills.
• Ability to provide exceptional customer service while performing assigned duties; to exercise good judgment in analyzing situations and making decisions; proven superior skills in building effective working relations with other employees and the public.
• Possession of strong problem-solving skills; must exhibit commitment to diversity and equality culture; ability to sustain ethical workplace practices.
• Properly manage and prioritize assigned workload, handling several projects and tasks simultaneously; to meet timelines and related deadlines.
• Ability to work both independently and in team environments, in both an office and remotely.
• Ability to learn and apply computer programs to assigned office functions and to use technology to maximize efficiency and services.
• Use and understanding of the Microsoft Office Suite and excellent organizational skills are required.
• State Hazard Mitigation Planning efforts is essential, with experience of mitigation planning desired.
• Excellent oral communication and presentation skills are essential, with demonstrated training or large group facilitation skills desired.
• Ability to organize and write clear, concise technical reports for delivery to customers is essential, with direct authoring of reports desired.
• Understanding of ESRI GIS, FEMA HAZUS MT and Risk Analysis Modeling is essential, with documented use desirable.
• Knowledge of FEMA Mitigation Grant Programs (Hazard Mitigation Grant Program), PDM (Pre-Disaster Mitigation), Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA) and Community Rating System (CRS) is essential, with experience highly desirable.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
Work is typically performed in an office setting with climate-controlled settings and exposure to mild noise level. This position requires long periods of sitting and daily use of computer and telephone.
Equal Opportunity Employment:
The Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of genetic information, race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, or disability.
Any qualified applicant with a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits his/her ability to participate in the application process and desires a reasonable accommodation, must notify the Human Resources office at (405) 521-3173 of the need for an accommodation, identify the impairment, and identify the requested accommodation.
Education and Experience:Education and experience requirements consist of a bachelor’s degree in Community Planning, Emergency Management, Engineering, Environmental Studies, Public Administration, Business Administration, Geography, English, Sociology or closely related field, AND (3) years professional experience in city/state planning or emergency management; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience. NOTE: A Master’s degree will count as two years of experience.
Please read instructions carefully and include all required documents when you submit your application. No additional information will be accepted after the application has been submitted.
Veteran’s preference points apply only for initial appointment in the classified service.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|