A resume and cover letter must be submitted with your application.
The Office of Management and Enterprise Services (OMES) is dedicated to providing excellent service, expert guidance, and continuous improvement in support of our partners’ goals. We are a highly-qualified workforce committed to serve those who serve Oklahomans and make government run in the most efficient, innovative manner possible. Achieving this mission takes a collaborative, agile, respectful team with humble leaders who make a difference and get things done.
For more information about OMES, please visit our website.
OMES is seeking a full time Data Engineer Manager. This is an unclassified position in state government, located in Oklahoma City. OMES offers a comprehensive Benefits Package, including a generous benefit allowance to offset the cost of insurance premiums for employees and their eligible dependents. For more information about the benefit allowance [click here]. The annual salary for this position is based on education and experience.
This position is assigned responsibilities involving the management of data engineering staff and activities. This includes overseeing the design, development and implementation of data ingestion and pipeline models; data management and monitoring; and data integration.
• Oversee the data engineering team through leadership and supervision. Staff will include data engineers and ETL specialists.
• Technical ownership of data warehouse and data lake platforms including system and data architecture, engineering and data pipelines.
• Lead collaboration for deployment and implementation of tools necessary to integrate data within and across MISs and their use for decision-making.
• Understand business requirements and how they translate in application features.
• Develop and implement methods to improve data reliability and quality.
• Ownership of the data ingestion and starting from selection and deployment of a data ingestion tools to build out a network of connected applications based on API interfaces and microservices.
• Participate in the evaluation/pilot of new technologies and provide recommendations on how they support business needs.
• Manage and communicate with data platform stakeholders balancing business needs with technology capabilities.
• Design creative prototypes according to specifications.
• Write high quality, unit-tested source code within deadlines.
• Conduct functional and non-functional testing.
• Evaluate existing data models and pipelines update and add new features.
• Develop technical documentation to accurately represent data models.
• Combine raw information from different sources to create consistent and machine-readable formats.
• Work with cross functional technology and business partners to lead the technical delivery of integration solutions approved within the portfolio and contribute to the development of the State Data Strategy.
• Collaborate with business partners and internal teams to understand, document and prioritize new datasets and features to be added to the data warehouse/lake.
• Align closely with agency IT teams to support the deployment of integration systems.
• Partner with the QA and Security teams to ensure compliance with regulatory and security requirements.
• Collaborate with Enterprise Architecture in the design for the overall architecture of the data platforms and provide guidance and oversight.
• Ensure that guiding principles and technology and privacy standards are followed.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
This position works in a comfortable office setting with a computer for a large percentage of the workday. The noise level in the work environment is usually mild. Occasional travel may be required.
Preference will be given to candidates who possess:
• Bachelor's degree in computer science, mathematics, or related field; MBA or equivalent work experience desired
• A good understanding of data modelling and experience with data engineering tools and platforms such as Kafka, Spark, and Hadoop
• Experience in building large-scale data pipelines and data-centric applications using any of the distributed storage platforms such as HDFS, S3, NoSQL databases (Hbase, Cassandra, etc.) and any of the distributed processing platforms like Hadoop, Spark, Hive, Oozie, and Airflow in a production setting
• Hands on experience in MapR, Cloudera, Hortonworks and/or cloud (AWS EMR, Azure HDInsights, Qubole etc.) based Hadoop distributions
• Experience in taking data-driven approaches and applying data security strategy to solve business problems
• Excitement in working with data.
• Experience in building and operating data pipelines, and maintaining data storage, all within distributed systems
• Strong communication and client-facing skills with the ability to work in a centralized technology environment
OMES is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities may be provided upon request.
Requirements include five years of experience in an information technology field, four years of which must be in a supervisory, team lead, or project manager capacity, or an equivalent combination of education and experience, substituting 12 semester hours in computer science or management information systems course
work for each year of the required experience excluding the required supervisory, lead, and/or project management
Please read instructions carefully and include all required documents when you submit your application.
No additional information will be accepted after the application has been submitted.
Veteran’s preference points apply only for initial appointment in the classified service.