|Department||Medicolegal Investigations Board|
|Date Opened||5/14/2020 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||10/1/2020 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||Commeserate with Education and Experience|
|Full or Part Time||
Please send cover letter and resume to Lori Shively, Administrative Officer by email to:
Fax: 405-272-4045; or
Mail: 921 NE 23rd St
Oklahoma City, OK 73105
DEPUTY CHIEF FORENSIC TOXICOLOGIST
The Toxicology Laboratory of the Oklahoma Office of the Chief Medical Examiner (OCME) in Oklahoma City, OK is seeking a qualified Deputy Chief Forensic Toxicologist. Under the general direction of the Chief Forensic Toxicologist the position assists in planning, organizing and directing the forensic toxicology activities of the OCME.
These activities include, but are not limited to:
• Assists the Chief Forensic Toxicologist in the development of laboratory operating procedures, plans and budget.
• Responsible for the daily activity of the toxicology laboratory potentially including supervision of forensic chemists and planning daily work schedules.
• Responsible for directing the development and validation of technical methods and procedures, and their subsequent incorporation into the toxicology laboratory.
• Responsible for coordinating all laboratory research projects as mandated by the death investigations of the OCME, including conducting research as required.
• Functions as a consultant to the Chief Medical Examiner and forensic pathologists in matters relating to the interpretation of analytical toxicologic findings and other considerations involved in evaluating the role of drugs or other poisons in death investigations which come under the jurisdiction of the OCME.
• Provides expert testimony in court as to the accuracy, precision, and overall reliability of the analytical toxicology protocols employed by the laboratory, in addition to testimony concerning the interpretation of analytical determinations.
• In the absence of the Chief Forensic Toxicologist, performs the roles and functions of the Chief Forensic Toxicologist.
• Assists the Chief Forensic Toxicologist with other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills
• Extensive knowledge of state of the art analytical instrumentation and procedures pertaining to analytical toxicology, pharmacological and toxicological principles, and the forensic toxicology literature. Possesses skills necessary to be a successful forensic scientist.
• Knowledge of common laboratory safety and quality assurance/quality control practices.
• Ability to work independently, set priorities, work efficiently, keep accurate records, accurately analyze samples, correctly interpret data and develop reasonable conclusions.
• Possess a sufficient knowledge base, judgment and interpersonal skills to provide leadership and direction to staff level forensic chemists and support staff in order to competently conduct effective toxicology laboratory operations.
• Skilled in clearly communicating with physicians, law enforcement, attorneys and judges as well as with professional associates and peers at the national level, both orally and in writing.
Minimum Qualifications / Education and Experience
• Doctorate degree from accredited university in toxicology or closely related field.
o Applications will be considered from individuals in the final stages of receiving their doctorate degree. Before employment can be considered, verification of degree, or confirmation from the graduate program of expected completion of the degree, is required.
• Minimum of 3 years of employment/experience in a forensic toxicology laboratory (preferably postmortem), to include successful completion of a documented training program and/or demonstrated competency.
• Certification or eligibility for certification as a Diplomat or Fellow of the American Board of Forensic Toxicology.
• The applicant must successfully complete a background investigation prior to the start of employment.
• For suitable candidates who do not meet all of the qualifications listed above, the position may be filled at a lower level (Staff Toxicologist) dependent upon the qualifications of the selected candidate. However, a successful candidate must meet the educational requirements stated in the qualifications.
• Anticipated start date is no sooner than October 1, 2020.
Veteran's Preference Points apply only for initial appointment in the Classified Service.