The Office of Management and Enterprise Services (OMES) is a trusted, credible partner that empowers employees to provide valued business expertise allowing customers to focus on their missions across state government. OMES provides financial, property, purchasing, human resources and information technology services to all state agencies, and assists the Governor’s Office on budgetary policy matters.
Our mission is supporting our partners through unified business services. The OMES mission requires a highly-qualified workforce committed to making government run in the most efficient, innovative manner possible. Achieving that mission takes team-oriented, solutions-driven professionals who understand the importance of partnering to achieve success.
OMES is seeking a full time IT Strategist. This is an unclassified position in state government, located in Oklahoma City. OMES offers a comprehensive Benefits Package, including a generous benefit allowance to offset the cost of insurance premiums for employees and their eligible dependents. For more information about the benefit allowance [click here].The annual salary for this position is based on education and experience.
The IT Strategist is responsible for an IT service area to cultivate understanding of the agency and/or business areas and to provide appropriate services, strategies, and resources from across OMES-ISD.
This position is assigned responsibilities involving the management and direction of information systems, applications development, systems maintenance, computer operations, enterprise architecture, project and program management and similar information technology functions within an information division or comparable function for an entire agency or multiple agencies. The position will work with several ISD divisions for the overall oversight of an agency-wide information technology program, including direction of staff activities and development of information services and operations. This includes but is not limited to, determining the information services requirements of the agency, developing a strategy in conjunction with strategy team, establishing priorities, evaluating and projecting hardware and software needs, and developing budget work programs to provide the staffing and equipment necessary to implement required information services.
• Provide technological guidance within an agency organization.
• Manage the day-to-day operations of the information technology department, including directing staff who support information technology functions.
• Consult with agency administration, department managers, and agency representatives to exchange information, present new approaches, discuss equipment and system changes and assist with developing agency IT budget.
• Assess and anticipate technology projects and recommend appropriate action and resources.
• Establish and direct the strategic and tactical goals, policies, and procedures for the information technology department as they relate to the representing agency business.
• Propose hardware and software solutions to accomplish the agencies’ business objectives.
• Serve on boards, commissions, and interagency design and development teams.
• Serve as a dotted line manager over agency-assigned ISD staff to accomplish the projects, software, and hardware enhancements and service delivery to support the goals of the agency.
• Work with governance groups for prioritized enhancements and projects.
• Serve as escalation point for project managers on projects and enhancements for agency-related delays or concerns.
• Help ISD staff coordinate with assigned area for effective planning of projects, upgrades, releases, etc., and effective resolution of unplanned issues.
• Engage ISD resources in services, projects, infrastructure, applications, and the business office as necessary to meet customer needs.
• Analyze and prioritize resources based on the strategic value of projects and initiatives.
• Help ISD staff coordinate with assigned area for effective planning of projects, upgrades, releases, etc. and effective resolution of unplanned issues.
• Research and maintain an awareness of industry trends for IT, business, and other relevant areas in order to make application to agencies.
• Collaborate with ISD directorates to connect similar business and agency needs, initiatives, and strategies.
• Manage IT operations and support mission critical applications that have statewide impact.
• Participate in vendor contract negotiations for all new computer equipment and software purchased for the agency.
• Create a cost-benefit analysis as well as a detailed definition of data requirements and departmental workflows.
• Oversee internet and computer operations.
• Identify user needs and resolve problems.
• Provide oversight and review of key performance indicators for information systems and related infrastructure.
• Develop and implement process conduits to other Information Services Division (ISD) directorates to serve the organization in every aspect.
• Assist in analyzing and prioritizing resources based on strategic value of projects and initiatives.
Demonstrates knowledge of and supports mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of ethical behavior.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
This position requires supervisory responsibilities.
Requirements include five years of experience in an information technology field, including three years in a supervisory, team lead, or project manager capacity or an equivalent combination of education and experience, substituting 12 semester hours in computer science or management information systems course work for each year of the required non-supervisory, leadership or management experience with a maximum substitution of two years.
Preference may be given to candidates who possess: A Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology.