|Department||Department of Veterans Affairs|
|Date Opened||6/25/2020 11:30:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||7/31/2020 11:59:00 PM|
|Full or Part Time||
If you would like to apply for the Physician IV position, please utilize one of the options below.
Oklahoma Department of Veterans Affairs – Claremore
3001 W Blue Starr Dr.
Claremore, OK 74017
Sara May, HR Manager
Phone: 918-342-5432 x295
Attn: Human Resources
PO Box 988
Claremore, OK 74018
Under administrative direction, functions as center Chief Medical Director providing functional oversight of Veterans Center medical staff, in addition to Medical Director Role at a designated Veterans Center specializing in the care and treatment of long-term nursing care patients.
The functions will vary by level, but may include the following:
• Serves as center chief medical director providing oversight to Claremore Veterans Center to insure compliance with best medical practices.
• Formulates policies and procedures to deliver medical services to meet all medical standards required by law.
• Monitors quality of care provided at Veterans Centers.
• Serves as liaison for management and center practitioners.
• Performs initial assessments on new admissions with periodic reviews and documentation on all patients; monitors drug usage.
• Supervises and observes care and treatment of patients by staff medical providers; provides consultation to staff medical providers regarding appropriate patient management; evaluates staff medical providers periodically to ensure adherence to medical staff bylaws and agency policy and procedures.
• Makes medical rounds, records periodic progress notes and prepares some discharge summaries; inspects, completes, analyzes and interprets medical records; directs laboratory and x-ray procedures and interprets results; provides direct medical treatment and diagnostic services to nursing care patients.
• Active participant in facility committees and facility leadership team; participates in medical audits and quality assurance studies.
• Communicates with administration on the adequacy and appropriateness of patient-care services, medical equipment and support staff; attends continuing medical education seminars; develops and implements continuing medical education programs for the medical staff; consults with other health care disciplines regarding in-service education and participates in these programs as necessary; reads and studies periodicals and other reference materials to stay abreast of current medical practices.
• Arranges the medical provider schedule for continuous coverage and may serve as medical officer of the day; prepares death summaries, completes and signs death certificates; acts as a resource for consultation with on-call providers when unusual patient care problems arise; initiates communication with other health care facilities when patient transfers are indicated.
• Reviews and evaluates applications for staff appointments and confers with the Administrator on staff appointments; reviews incident reports and identifies and provides recommendations to ensure a safe and sanitary environment for patients and personnel; participates in the development and revision of employee health plan and assures that employee health policies are followed.
• Performs related work as required and assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Required at this level include knowledge of modern principles and practices of medicine; of the anatomy and physiology of the human body, especially of the aging process; of the analysis prepared by medical laboratories; of the uses of medicines for illness; of medical services available at outside medical facilities; of all state and federal medical laws and of agency policies and procedures; and ability to train and supervise staff physicians, physicians assistants, and nurse practitioners.
Skill in directing, coordinating and supervising a staff of physicians; in exercising independent judgments; leadership and management skills, in analyzing complex situations and adopting an effective course of action; effective listening, and in communicating with others both orally and in writing.
Education and Experience
requirements at this level consist of current Licensure to practice medicine in the State of Oklahoma and four (4) years of experience as a licensed Physician.
As an employer of the State of Oklahoma, the Oklahoma Department of Veterans Affairs is able to offer the following:
• Benefit allowance to off-set insurance costs
• Flexible spending
• 11 paid holidays
• 15 days paid vacation
• 15 days paid sick leave
• Retirement savings plan with generous company match
• Longevity bonus for years of service
• Tuition assistance
• Competitive salary
Veteran's Preference Points Apply only for initial appointment in the Classified Service.