|Department||Department of Education|
|Date Opened||2/20/2020 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||4/9/2020 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$51,000 - $56,000/year|
|Full or Part Time||
PROGRAM SPECIALIST - ELL STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES
Office of Special Education, Oliver Hodge Building, Oklahoma City, OK
Under direction, coordinate, supervise and provide technical assistance regarding special education and English Language Learner (ELL) programs throughout the state. Monitor local programs and provide professional development. Perform related work as required.
• Graduation from an accredited college or university with a degree in special education, school psychology, communication disorders, or closely related field [official transcript(s) required];
• Possession of a valid special education certificate, or a valid psychometry, school psychologist, or speech-language pathology certificate; must include an endorsement for English as a Second Language;
• Minimum of five (5) years of experience in elementary or secondary education and experience as an ELL teacher;
• Experience working in the field of special education;
• Applicants must be willing and able to perform necessary job-related statewide travel (including but not limited to, regular overnight stays of 1-3 nights at a time in some instances).
• Considerable knowledge of modern special education techniques, methods and practices; of current trends and sources of information in the field of special education; of educational psychology; general knowledge of tests and measurements including individual educational/psychological tests; adequate knowledge of public relations;
• Knowledge of current IDEA/ESSA/State regulations for special education and ELL;
• Knowledge of technology and ability to use it to maximize efficiency and services;
• Knowledge of how to differentiate between language acquisition difficulties and learning disabilities;
• Knowledge of how to differentiate instruction to meet students’ learning differences;
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships; to direct, conduct, coordinate and implement adequate special education programs; to express ideas clearly and concisely; to conduct meetings and workshops; to judge a situation correctly and adopt an effective course of action;
• Commitment to team work, consensus management and participatory decision-making process;
• Conscientious commitment/willingness to provide courteous, consistent, efficient service through performance of prescribed job duties.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
• Participate in the development of guidance related to special education and ELL;
• Consult with public/private agencies and organizations on establishing, expanding, and/or improving special education programs; evaluate and approve plans/applications for special education programs; disseminate ideas, new methods and materials to parents, educators and administrators throughout the state;
• Respond to teacher, school, parent, and community needs including informal requests regarding policies, procedures, and programming for ELL students;
• Develop and facilitate ongoing, differentiated professional development for ELL practitioners, general education teachers, administrators, and special service providers regarding best practices in English language development, scaffolded instruction, district initiatives, and assessment;
• Provide ongoing assistance to promote program effectiveness; support and develop special education within the regular education system;
• Serve on professional committees; conduct and participate in workshops and meetings with parents and professionals; promote special education by interpreting rules and regulations and by speaking before other interested groups;
• Participate in and/or lead teams related to ELL and special education services.
General office setting.
N (Not Applicable) - Activity is not applicable to this position
O (Occasionally) - Position requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0 – 2.5+ hrs/day)
F (Frequently) - Position requires this activity from 33%-66% of the time (2.5 – 5.5 hrs/day)
C (Constantly) - Position requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5+ hrs/day)
10 lbs or less F
11-20 lbs F
21-50 lbs O
51-100 lbs N
Over 100 lbs N
Reach Outward O
Reach Over Shoulder O
Squat or Kneel O
15% Travel required with occasional overnight stays.
Please read instructions carefully and include all required documents when you submit your application.
No additional information will be accepted after the application has been submitted.
Veteran's Preference Points apply only for initial appointment in the Classified Service.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|